Anthoine Hubert 1996-2019

I'd say when is about cockpit Indycar safety cell is probably the safest due to the ovals
If F2 is using the same standards as F1 they need to upgrade that asap then, imagine the same crash with F1 speeds

Verey sad when drivers die young. They have much more to prove and achieve. It reminds me of a race i went to a teenager at Thruxton our local track in England. Murray Walker mentioned someone died in F3. His mother was stood behind me in tears. Verey sad indeed.

I'd say when is about cockpit Indycar safety cell is probably the safest due to the ovals
If F2 is using the same standards as F1 they need to upgrade that asap then, imagine the same crash with F1 speeds

I am not sure how good an IndyCar would hold up with two major hits in the same crash structure. That is the major issue with any racing. The multiple hits in the same area.

They do have the same safety standards, but what can you improve... at that speed, you can make a car that does completly is untouched from the impact, but the g-force of the impact at a t-bone angle kills the driver. Only way is, to reduce the speed of the cars. And this is the main issue...

Teams always find a way to increase the speed even though the rules should prevent that. Loop holes in the rulebook allow them to do so. And a stricked rulebook is something we don't want. Otherwise everything would be the same, and there would be a small margine of room to improve.

For Hubert, well you could say, he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Sounds cold, but there was nothing you can do to avoid it. Every other driver in that situation would've died as well. His car needed to be just a few degrees in another angle - and that would've saved his life. Maybe he would've lost his legs, but he wouldn't be dead.

More tyres could be an option but or change eau rouge better say raidillon for that matter but that would change the entire course as well. Spa is famous for Eau Rouge and Raidillon. Most times not for the good one, but Magnussen in 2016 showed some glimps on what could happen -sadly that warning wasn't enough

Well in this specifc crash they could have done something very long ago: cover both sides of that sector with SAFER walls, they are better than tires, they absorb energy very well, they throw the car back with less strenght so maybe the second crash wouldn't even happen, or if it did his chassis could be in a better shape. Considering the design of the corner the run off could be wider and the part of the wall that go back to the track could take longer too to reach the track side. All of this could have been done long ago as I said, there has been other crashes that could end up like this one, if the safety guys in all series that use Spa didnt see this coming they should be all fired.
It's kinda like the crowd that says behind the first part of the corner, doesn't take much for a car to fly into those people, they still stay close there.
Ofc this is an uneducated guess, just based on what I've been watching on ovals and accidents on that corner. But better safe than sorry, tho it's a bit too late.

Such a sad feeling all day during the GP build-up, much more sombre mood all around than usual, as expected.

When I saw the picture of his headrest flying and his head just limp to the left, I knew it was over, it just felt so similar to the feeling I had after seeing Senna in much the same way - but kept hoping I was wrong.

Next year his best 3 mates will all be in F1, and they will race for him. Hopefully, one or two of them will win a world championship one day.

upload_2019-9-2_16-31-34-png.322630

R.I.P. Anthoine
Leclerc, Gasly, Ocon et Hubert; Les Quatres Mousquetaires.
Repose en Paix Anthoine.

Last edited:
I tried an experience in Raceroom this weekend. I raced with the FRX-17 car at Spa and I was able to take Eau Rouge and the Raidillon flat out on 7th gear. Then, I tried again with the F2 car and with the F2 car, I had to be much more careful to keep the car on track. When driving, you feel that the F2 car does not have as much downforce as the F1 car. Not a scientific test but just saying.

Its tragic when anyone dies in motorsport. I think people forget that it is still a dangerous sport. When you see the likes of F1 drivers weaving all over the road, it makes me cringe a little, such scant regard for safety. You wouldnt have got that in the 80s, because cars and tracks just were not as safe as they are now, I think there is a feeling of invincibility with some drivers today. Inevitably they will want to pin blame on *something* or *someone*, and I think that the circuit itself will come under fire. I do think perhaps a safer barrier type solution maybe would have helped in this situation, but then again a 400 metre extended run off would have too, so I don't know what to say really.

All of us know that Leclerc was quite close to Jules Bianchi. But how many of us realized that Bianchi participated in 34 F1 races and also, Charles won his 1st race on his 34th F1 race? Coincidences...? What a way to dedicate a victory to both of his friends. RIP Jules and Antoine :(

Its always terrible and tragic when these things happen , Hopefully they wont change the corner its self , but by the look of it a lot more run off area to the sides, in particular where Hubert hit the tire barrier, to stop cars being defected back onto the track would be high on the list of changes. If his car had stopped and not rolled back towards the track and into oncoming cars he probably would have been ok.

Its tragic when anyone dies in motorsport. I think people forget that it is still a dangerous sport. When you see the likes of F1 drivers weaving all over the road, it makes me cringe a little, such scant regard for safety. You wouldnt have got that in the 80s, because cars and tracks just were not as safe as they are now, I think there is a feeling of invincibility with some drivers today. Inevitably they will want to pin blame on *something* or *someone*, and I think that the circuit itself will come under fire. I do think perhaps a safer barrier type solution maybe would have helped in this situation, but then again a 400 metre extended run off would have too, so I don't know what to say really.
In that case I have not heard such a reaction so far from drivers or FIA. It is not a failure in safety revealed by an unusual crash (like for example Sorensen's crash at Le Mans). The top of the raidillon is a high speed blind corner, so sh*t may happen whatever they do with the run-off. It could easily have been Alesi rather than Hubert.

A Google Earth image shows that the run-off area to the right of the RH portion of the turn is about17m wide. There is adequate room to widen that space by at least 40m.

Here you can see what happened; so much bad luck... you can simply not imagine...:(
Mod Edit: we already have this video in the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us not be reminded of this incident by the ignorance of Valtteri Bottas who thinks he is above this. Sadly his kind of attitude can end up a bad thing for himself.

Hi,

It may exist by now as someone may have done something themselves, I don't know; but anyway. A few sim racing colleagues wanted the Racing For Anthoine logo on their cars/helmets for the leagues they are currently racing in.

So I re-created the sticker from scratch using the best photos I could find.

Here's the link, it's a high res transparent TIFF file (7k by 4k) so can easily be converted to a PSD smart object, etc. It is a big file on purpose because I like to create at a large size and then shrink down. I may also do a vector version but it's late and I want to sleep now! lol :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fn231DaX6CBY46PizjeMppNHnPnm3UWK/view?usp=sharing

Many thanks, Andrew.

A Google Earth image shows that the run-off area to the right of the RH portion of the turn is about17m wide. There is adequate room to widen that space by at least 40m.

Please lets not start talking about changing the tracks, they have already been ruined by run off areas etc. This was just extremely bad luck and could still happen if the runoff was wider. Motor racing is dangerous full stop.

Don't get me wrong I do not want to see deaths and my heart goes out to the families involved but we cannot remove all the danger and still keep it a sport that we want to watch and drivers want to participate in.

Please lets not start talking about changing the tracks, they have already been ruined by run off areas etc. This was just extremely bad luck and could still happen if the runoff was wider. Motor racing is dangerous full stop.

Don't get me wrong I do not want to see deaths and my heart goes out to the families involved but we cannot remove all the danger and still keep it a sport that we want to watch and drivers want to participate in.

I think in fairness the only things I'd like to see them do is maybe shallow out that angle where the barrier starts to blend back onto the track. I've seen quite few accidents in the last few years where cars have gone wide over the top and then caught that barrier or hit it pretty hard. I'd also like them to add on tech-pro or safer barriers on that corner. So nothing crazy but just measured adjustments to the overall safety of that corner, yes motorsport will always be dangerous and so on but it's important that we learn.

To my surprise I see the circuit owners are going to bring back gravel traps at the corner. Not so much for safety reasons but to deter drivers from using more tarmac than they are supposed to. For sure during the Spa 24 the drivers were cutting the top of Eau Rouge for almost the entire race.

https://f1i.com/news/353011-spa-to-replace-raidillon-tarmac-run-off-with-gravel-trap.html

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 199 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 520 38.5%