Another which shifter thread....

I have been tempted to get a new shifter recently
I had been waiting for the HE H shifter, but that is not going to happen any time soon. That kind of leaves the Fanatec shifter as one of the better potential options. However, reading the threads here it still sounds like Fanatec customer support is a little patchy. So based on this, and the fact that the shifter is probably the best all in one compromise, I am wondering if I am better off ignoring the H pattern option, and going for an HE sequential instead, and adding a FREX H shift+ if I really want an H shifter at a later date.

So the questions are, how reliable is your Fanatec SQ V1.5 shifter? How does it feel in sequential and H pattern? Do you wish you had gone for a different shifter?

Obviously another option is the SHH, but I am not sure that it will be stiff enough for my liking?
I currently have an old G25 shifter that I hardly ever use, as it is too toy like.

The CS 1.5 shifter feels good as an H-pattern shifter and is very reliable as an H-Pattern shifter. I never got it where I liked it for sequential shifting and it's the sequential shifting that seems to have reliability issues. Not for everyone, but there have been a number of people reporting the sequential mechanism failing.

I got an HE sequential shifter to use along side it and this seems to be a very common combination looking at all the rig pictures that I've seen.

Eventually I replaced it with the much more expensive Pro Sim H pattern shifter, but it was expensive enough that I was on the fence about it for quite some time before I pulled the trigger. I'd be lying if I didn't say I liked it a lot better, but it is bulky and expensive.

Good luck with your decision!

Upvote 0
Same boat here. I've gone with the CSS for now, and added a excellent and super inexpensive Aiolog SQ shifter, and their hand brake too. I've yet to use these but the CSS seems solid and fine for now, and the 2 Aiolog units are incredible, and as Barry has said, their low price is unbelievable!

I plan to go forward with these until a smaller / better H shifter comes to be. I'm hoping for a Aiologs model. That would be a instant buy

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

On SQ 1.5.
It's hard to beat convenience of hybrid and it's probably the most sensible option now before HE releases their solution.
I've already replaced sequential mechanism spring, this is common failure. It's not super hard to do it yourself and Fanatec will supply the needed part (at your expense).
Another thing is that occasionally USB dongle stops working and requires FW reflash to bring it back to life. From what I've read this is also not uncommon.
I also had TH8A before Fanatec , I would recommend Fanatec over it, it's just better and feels more like mechanical shifter, less missed shifts too.

Upvote 0
That is the bit that sucks - a spring breaks, and you can fix it at your own expense.

If I went with HE and their Sequential, I think it will be a different experience. Yes, I won’t have an H shifter though.

Upvote 0
I saw one come up for sale the other day and nearly got it. It sold and I found a friend had bought it as an upgrade to he thrustmaster H pattern.

I dont have any first hand knowledge of the fanatec one but I was surprised that he is on the fence about which one he will keep. the CS1.5 or the TM. He said the CS in sequential is marginally better than the TM and the TM is awful.

I think if you are going to use a sequential you should go for a dedicated one but there is a big price gap between the cheaper dedicated ones like Heusinkveld and the baby pro sim ones.

I ended up going for the Aiologs sequential and am going to aroder another. I like it more than the heusinkvelds I have tried and that seems to be what I see others say.. It's not one that I think is as broadly known as the others.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback.
I am a bit of an HE fan, as I have the Pro pedals and handbrake. I know the Aiologs is supposed to be good, and if I were to but shifter and handbrake, I would probably go for the package they do.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry about mixing and matching components. The HE sequential shifter is OK, reliable and feels fine, certainly better than the CS 1.5 in sequential shift mode, but it's not nearly the same caliber as their pedals or the hand brake. There are things about it that I don't like. The adjustability is very limited, mine was noisy with transducers until I added some caulk to the inside of it and reassembled it. The shifts work and the action is fast enough, but I'm quite sure other shifters are more satisfying to use. I really wish there was a more positive engagement.

I would seriously consider taking metalnwood's advice on this.

Upvote 0
Yes, seen that one thanks.
They seem pretty similar, and the price difference is not great between the two. The HE is in stock, and I have to wait for the Aiologs. Being slightly impatient once I have made my mind up would point me to a product in stock. I also like the adjustability with the HE.

Upvote 0
Aiologs will ship when they say their next batch is read which is on the 22nd this month.

I am not looking to change your mind as it seems to be made up but for a sequential I would go every time for something that feels a bit better. The heusinkveld may have more config options but none of them imo make any difference. All options are close enough to not make any difference and all options are only changing the position of the handle or the handle itself which can be done just by moving where you mount it anyhow. The aluminium handle hands down beats any of the plastic ones as well.

I have HE ultimates and HE Sprints. They are great but I dont think they have the best feeling shifter :) I think even that review says the aiologs feels the best and that trumps all for me.

Upvote 0
I would suggest trying to think long term for your rig. I wasn't familiar with the Aiologs when I ordered my shifter. If I was I probably would have gone that route. My guess is that you have a steering wheel with paddle shifters and I would use that while you wait.

I am almost always either using paddle shifters in iRacing or H-pattern in Dirt Rally 2.0, so my sequential shifter doesn't get much use. The only time I seem to use a sequential shift is Rally Cross. I'm not sure why.

Upvote 0
A good point, well made.
So if I wanted the H pattern, the best at a reasonable price is the Fanatec, which offers a compromised sequential?

Longterm, it will be a new rig and new wheel, as I don’t think my TrakRacer RS6 will be happy with a DD wheel. On the new rig, I should be able to mount a sequential shifter close to the wheel, and an H pattern in a traditional position.

Upvote 0
I happen to have the SHH shifter for my rig at home (Yes, I would also like an HE H shifter, so I know how you all feel ;)) and it's good value for its low price. It's of course not the best thing out there, but it's quite stiff and once mounted to a rig, it all feels nice and solid.

Upvote 0
I happen to have the SHH shifter for my rig at home (Yes, I would also like an HE H shifter, so I know how you all feel ;)) and it's good value for its low price. It's of course not the best thing out there, but it's quite stiff and once mounted to a rig, it all feels nice and solid.

Enzo, do us all a favour please...

Take that SHH shifter into work every day and wave it in front of Neils. Tease him a little and remind him he doesn't yet have one ready for public release :p

As you can tell, I'm desperately searching for ways to give him inspiration :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing