Another which shifter thread....

I have been tempted to get a new shifter recently
I had been waiting for the HE H shifter, but that is not going to happen any time soon. That kind of leaves the Fanatec shifter as one of the better potential options. However, reading the threads here it still sounds like Fanatec customer support is a little patchy. So based on this, and the fact that the shifter is probably the best all in one compromise, I am wondering if I am better off ignoring the H pattern option, and going for an HE sequential instead, and adding a FREX H shift+ if I really want an H shifter at a later date.

So the questions are, how reliable is your Fanatec SQ V1.5 shifter? How does it feel in sequential and H pattern? Do you wish you had gone for a different shifter?

Obviously another option is the SHH, but I am not sure that it will be stiff enough for my liking?
I currently have an old G25 shifter that I hardly ever use, as it is too toy like.

My point is: is really worth installing a sequential lever on a rig? After all, what kind of cars nowadays use this kind of shifting mechanism? I can only think of WRC2, and they use it only because they are not allowed to have the WRC's push/pull enlarged paddle shift, which is faster and more comfortable.

Upvote 0
My point is: is really worth installing a sequential lever on a rig? After all, what kind of cars nowadays use this kind of shifting mechanism? I can only think of WRC2, and they use it only because they are not allowed to have the WRC's push/pull enlarged paddle shift, which is faster and more comfortable.

Rally and Rally Cross are the only place I use a sequential shifter. I use a bare 330mm Momo wheel for Rally because I don't like having paddle shifters on those wheels. I've hit paddle shifters with my fingers in large wheel motions and when the wheel is turning, paddles are hard to find. I typically enjoy rowing an H pattern in Rally, but in Rally Cross I always use a sequential shifter.

Upvote 0
Got my Fanatec sq 1.5 yesterday, mounted today and tested. Never bothered with h pattern shifter in the past, came from a Logitech G27.
Wow, so much fun, AC, DeTomaso Pantera at Laguna seca, great fun.
Wish I bought it earlier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been driving the Ferrari 312 around various tracks. Full H pattern mode, and so much more involving.

Sure I am slower than if I used the paddles on the wheel, but that is not as realistic.

It is weird seeing the shifter in the car on the right, and shifting gears on the left in VR though.

Upvote 0
Add Panoz Esperante GTR-1 to the list. Yes, I know it's a 23-year old car, but, well, it is one that pops up in sims.

Upvote 0
I'm torn between these two over upgrading my lightly modded TH8A.
I don't use seq shifting, only H and the paddles. I'd end up using the TH8A as a handbrake if I can mount it properly.

ClubSport Shifter SQ 1.5 £280 inc dongle thingy
SHH ('NEWT') £98

I'm looking for a stiffer, mechanical feel.
However I'm limited to my Playseat Challenge until I get another property with a dedicated room for my stuff.

Upvote 0

I've got this shifter and really enjoy it.

It does have a stiff mechanical feel and you can adjust both the effort to put it into gear and the centering spring strength. For me that was a biggie. The Fanatec H pattern worked reliably for me but I didn't feel like it pulled hard enough to center and to me it felt easy to go for 3rd and get 5th.

The Pro Sim H pattern shifter does require a solid mount point and obviously it is pricey. Mine is mounted to a Sim-Lab P1 chassis.

Upvote 0
Hey Boby Kim, I'm not sure if that was a reply to myself or the OP of the thread.
For me it's no go due to size and weight (I'm on Playseat Challenge atm), plus the price is astronomical for my abilities.
I have my own track car (I'm rebuilding the engine currently), and that is expensive enough :laugh:

Upvote 0
I am really impressed with the Fanatec shifter, and really UNIMPRESSED with their support to the point where I didn't even ask them for support when I had an issue with my H. Having taken it apart to work out what my issue is, I'm actually further impressed with it.. so kudos for them building a product that should be good enough that you don't need their shitty support.

I've hammered mine for hundreds of hours and apart from the issue detailed below I've had no problems. I've used it sequentially on Dirt 2 and really enjoyed that too, however I'm really an H guy. I've mounted it by the 4 bolt holes in the bottom and it's rock solid. My only design head scratch is why they have a reverse style gate on 7th gear? Possibly in testing people where hitting 7th by accident looking for 5th? I've never had an H shifter in real life with a 7th.. maybe that's even normal in the real world? I haven't driven enough 7 gear vehicles with it to get to a point where I have muscle memory for this.

The issue I had, which is likely to impact many over time was a scratchyness getting out of gear, most noticeable coming out of 1,3,5. Basically the tension adjuster is a hex head bolt that puts pressure on what looks like a felt pad, which puts pressure on a what I think is a ball bearing (I didn't feel the need to pull it all out incase there's a spring in there too). When you change gear, the ball bearing stays put, and a plate attached to the shifter moves. The plate has dimples that the ball bearing seats into when in gear. One dimple for 1,3,5,7 side and one for 2,4,6. The plate is greased but mine was low. Maybe dry colorado air had dried it out. I cleaned the remaining grease up with a q-tip and added really high quality stuff. I also dipped the bottom of the shift rod in same grease to add more lubrication to the H guide in the bottom of the shifter. It is super smooth now and I recommend this step to anyone with the shifter. There's a tear down video on youtube that shows how easy it is to disassemble. 4 hex bolts on top then you have to reach in and disconnect one of the two ribbon connectors - the one that goes to the jack. Easy peasy.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your write up !
The quality doesn't sound like it's matching the price, or at least their customer service isn't.
So with that, I've decided to support the small company, and just ordered an SHH NEWT shifter.

I will be able to directly compare it to my modded TH8A :)

Upvote 0
The plate is greased but mine was low. Maybe dry colorado air had dried it out. I cleaned the remaining grease up with a q-tip and added really high quality stuff. I also dipped the bottom of the shift rod in same grease to add more lubrication to the H guide in the bottom of the shifter.

What grease did you use?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back