Another thread about terrain

S

SPERGER

• SPERGER

Hello all

i've started my first 'proper' track for RBR. It's about 20km long and made up of 12 imported parts with about a dozen additional side roads. I'm quite happy with the track and have tried it with some basic terrain to stop me falling into the blue. Now I'm starting to add my real terrain and I'm trying to work out the best way to handle junctions without ending up with lumps bumps and holes when I join 2 panels which are seperated vertically. I'm thinking of a situation where I have a T junction where the road leading to the T is coming downhill at a steep angle. I'm finding that trying to join this kind of arrangement leaves a lot of untidy flaps and destroys the meshes. Should I be bothered about holes if I can disguise them with objects and does having, in effect, 2 layers of panels at most junctions affect the performance adversely. As this is a forest stage I'm going to be putting a lot of trees in so I will need to make savings where I can. Any ideas? Apologies if this is a bit rambly but I'm new to all of this so it's the only way I can think of expressing it at the moment.

Thanks

Carl

Junctions are a bit of a fiddly pain in any game, but RBR seems harder because the textures of the roads are sometimes different too.

Generally speaking I try to shape the two (or more) joining bits of terrain with auto merge turned off to avoid mistakes. I find that I can usually drag all the points to make each bit small enough for them to fit together. A little experimenting with the Leveling tool to even up the points, and then you should be able to join them with too many ridges (personally I don't mind ridges because you should be on the track!)

As for leaving holes: I dont see why you cant, but I'm really particular about things like that, so Ill work to avoid them.

MVK

• SPERGER

Thanks for the reply. That is roughly what I have been doing but I wasn't sure how clean it all shoul be and if that had an effect on the performance of the track. I usually get the holes when I can't avoid the terrain covering the track otherwise, and I haven't found a good way of getting rid of terrain that overlaps the track without creating other problems. I suppose it's just a case of juggling.

Of course you could stop the tracks a little sooner and join them together using Walls in place of the roads. Then you could make a tidy terrain area and place the walls on top.

I don't think it's a good way to solve the problem with the walls-option..:question:
In your case I most of the time keep deleting the track-overlapping polygons and putting selfplaced new ones at their place (pulled out of the existing polys with the tool I forgot the name of, ...still waiting for my new BTB-License..:mail:)
In nearby every case the polygons' number increase, but through this I besides get the option to form trackside bumps or holes with the now given polygons.
The new formed polygons should (IMHO) fit with the trackside vertex to every start of a new panel in the track surface so you will never have holes, overlappings or clefts between the track and the terrain.

This is just my way to solve such issues.

• SPERGER

Thanks. i was doing something similar but I hadn't gotten the hang of creating new polygons that worked with the existing ones. I think I'm getting the hang of it now

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 149 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 409 39.9%