PC3 Another Project CARS Title in The Works?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3 Confirmed.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios head Ian Bell has reportedly confirmed the smash hit Project CARS franchise is due another new release - Project CARS 3 is in the works...

Never one to be shy with the big predictions, Bell has taken to the GT Planet forums to confirm to fans that another Project CARS game is in the works by Slightly Mad Studios, and with a typical shyness we've all come to expect from new PCARS news, Bell has suggested the next instalment of the franchise will " blow anything else, planned by anyone else, out of the water".

Now call me a sceptic, but we've heard statements like this before in relation to Project CARS games, and although both PCARS 1 and 2 certainly do some things very well indeed, for many players they often leave more than a little to be desired in comparison to their main sim racing rivals.. especially when compared to some of the grandiose statements made by the developers during the build up period prior to release.

Now of course this "announcement" is very early in nature, and as such very little is known about the intentions of SMS and the development path of PCARS 3, but one thing is for sure, whenever a PCARS title is in the works, plenty of excitement is sure to follow..

Stay tuned for more news as and when it becomes available...

Project CARS 2 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

well, it's if you get out of it what you wanted, which I did for both PC1 and PC2, PC1 more of course due to many more reasons including some $$$ bonuses, but I still enjoyed PC2 as well
coming from a game developer background myself, I have understanding that there only so much you can do , and in my oppinon PC2 wasn't in development all that long , for having much bigger changes/improvements

PC3 is where it all can really come togehter , nicely polished, unless they decide to add boats and planes - taking away focus from what they already have

I enjoyed both games, my issue is the SMS management team attitude and the lack of respect for their customers. Pcars3 will for sure be another good evolution in the series, but I won''t pay more than the price of a DLC for it. I'll consider it as a pcars2's DLC, a cheap attitude for a cheap company that does not deserve any money in presales or early access. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed both games, my issue is the SMS management team attitude and the lack of respect for their customers. Pcars3 will for sure be another good evolution in the series, but I won''t pay more than the price of a DLC for it. I'll consider it as a pcars2's DLC, a cheap attitude for a cheap company that does not deserve any money in presales or early access. :thumbsup:

attitude is something that's always bit personal / subjective

I never had any personal issues with them, anytime I suggested something they would either say " yeah cool " or " no , we can't do that" , but never had any personal threats from them, like I had from other developer , when I was not even criticizing their game

so yeah, it's easy for me that particular developer sucks and I don't like their attitude to customers, ... yet other people will stand by them and say how they are the best developer in the world that respects their customers

so yeah

attitude is something that's always bit personal / subjective

I never had any personal issues with them, anytime I suggested something they would either say " yeah cool " or " no , we can't do that" , but never had any personal threats from them, like I had from other developer , when I was not even criticizing their game

so yeah, it's easy for me that particular developer sucks and I don't like their attitude to customers, ... yet other people will stand by them and say how they are the best developer in the world that respects their customers

so yeah
Well stopping paying for their subscription for the real weather feature after one year and annoucing a new project cars game and a B2B opportunity is what annoys me the most. Respect is all about details.

Well stopping paying for their subscription for the real weather feature after one year and annoucing a new project cars game and a B2B opportunity is what annoys me the most. Respect is all about details.
that's hard to argue with for sure! but on the other hand, if they never promised it would last, it's hard to be upset about it

it's cool feature yeah, but personally I think it's fine if it's just simulated, doesn't really have to be realistic - for me anyway

I remember having something like that in Flight simulator, which was cool gimmick, but at the end of the day - when I moved to Xplane, I'm not missing that feature

but fair enough, I won't be telling people to buy it, it's everyone's choice for sure , I do however disagree with some people digging dirt just because they expected more then what they got

PC3 is where it all can really come togehter , nicely polished...

Unfortunatelly this won't happen, I'm sure, because if they had the will to deliver polished product, the same bugs from the first PC wouldn't appear in the second title. And in the PC2, after a year, some buggy parts of the game, which were reported in the first days after release still weren't touched.

That simply is not their (management) ultimate goal.

Unfortunatelly this won't happen, I'm sure, because if they had the will to deliver polished product, the same bugs from the first PC wouldn't appear in the second title. And in the PC2, after a year, some buggy parts of the game, which were reported in the first days after release still weren't touched.

That simply is not their (management) ultimate goal.
out of curiosity, can you name a few ??

for me one of the few annoying things is the shadow flickering, but since that's something how their engine works, it would be rather difficult thing to fix / improve, without some proper major rewrite

I posted a list on their forums. You can look it up (user name "R74NN"). I was banned from their forums some time ago, and I'm not going back there ever again.

Bonus: can you tell from my posts why I was banned?

Last edited:
Oh please man! Assetto Corsa Competizione looks way better than Gran Turismo Sport right now - including the replays, and when realtime ray tracing or even DLSS is added to ACC GT Sport will look even more the console game that it does already.These days GT Sport is simply the best looking console racing game.
I obviously disagree. I played other UE4 games before and ACC didn't give me anything new, the colors are actually too dark making it look like a forced "long shadows" situation at any time of the day.
GT Sport just blow away every other sim right now, but (big but) it's all baked and static, getting that in a 24h cycle and weather would be probably impossible right now.

that's hard to argue with for sure! but on the other hand, if they never promised it would last, it's hard to be upset about it

it's cool feature yeah, but personally I think it's fine if it's just simulated, doesn't really have to be realistic - for me anyway

I remember having something like that in Flight simulator, which was cool gimmick, but at the end of the day - when I moved to Xplane, I'm not missing that feature

but fair enough, I won't be telling people to buy it, it's everyone's choice for sure , I do however disagree with some people digging dirt just because they expected more then what they got

Well, after one year, it's a shame this feature is cut, as it is part of the experience I've paid for (at full price). A sim isn't made to last one year. And a company who is able to invest in new projects can afford such a subscription. Or at least should provide the users a solution to use their own subscription (by the way someone did a great job by creating a java app to do it, i just doesn't work for me). Or a new random changing weather implementation.

By the way, X plane 11 does it, you can have it again :thumbsup:.

I obviously disagree. I played other UE4 games before and ACC didn't give me anything new, the colors are actually too dark making it look like a forced "long shadows" situation at any time of the day.
GT Sport just blow away every other sim right now, but (big but) it's all baked and static, getting that in a 24h cycle and weather would be probably impossible right now.
I don't know what to say to that, except that the only impressive graphical feature in GT Sport is the lighting, other than that it's pretty average fair. Assetto Corsa Competizione just looks much better all the way around, and as I said we haven't even seen the future Nvidia tech that will be implemented - something that GT Sport doesn't have coming. Heck ACC at night blows anything in GT Sport out of the water because unlike Polyphony Digital KUNOS-Simulazion hasn't had to make those sacrifices or shortcuts. Hell I'd rather play the first Assetto Corsa more than I would GT Sport. There is way more to do in Assetto Corsa and ton more features in ACC vs GT Sport.

P.S. Please stop calling GT Sport a sim, because it isn't.

purely graphisc? I dont' think so

ACC doesn't look realisitc, there is some blue tint to it , also bit too constrasty
plus currently, there's some sort of blurriness to it

maxresdefault.jpg

GTSport is league of it's own , but SURE - IT'S PREBAKED, so it's not really FAIR to compare it
Pro_4.bmp.jpg

I'm only talking about raw graphics not physics or any feature. With that last sentence I recommend you to grow up a bit more (mental age) and improve the reading comprehension.
Just telling the truth here is all. Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, Rfactor 2, IRacing are all racing sims that rely on semi professional racing and an offline that isn't any RPG type car collecting game like GT Sport. In the Digital Foundry video Tech Analysis: Gran Turismo Sport vs Forza Motorsport 7 at the end of the video they admitted to leaving Project CARS 2 out because it was (and I quote) beyond the scope of the video. That says enough to me.

This is the problem. You played AC and got used to the way it poorly transfers weight, which is where you think there is "too much grip under acceleration".

Edit: Thank you all for proving where your allegiances lie.

You are not wrong. AC brakes loose way too easy. Everyone has to remember this is rubber melted into pavement optimal tractions here on default settings. The best the average driver has experienced is a fast track maybe on public roads? Hell, I'm pulling second and sometimes third gear rubber in AC with a stock little car. Not to mention the fake brake lock up and ridiculous plow steer keep in mind this is supposed to be optimal rubber melted into pavement conditions.
I say keep coding driving sims until they get it right. But I do get a good laugh when the pot is calling the kettle black.

anyone with a driving licence can tell you pcars feels nothing like driving a car, it doesn't take lewis hamilton to tell you that

Strange how there are loads of people with driving licenses who say it's fine

You are both right, assuming you both have a driver license, why are you arguing?
No one needs driver x to tell them a Game is good or not, it is a driving game, if you drive you will know which one feels more like driving.
All you need then to do is drive more the one you like best. Since none is so advance that it is 100% like driving IRL, you either only drive one as it is the closest or you drive more than one as they each have good aspect you like.
I don’t personally find that most cars in PCars 2 drive like a real car, some are closer than other, what I like in PCars2 is the VR experience, the lighting and the cockpits are outstanding. If I find that the cars drive more like I expect them to in PCars 3, I am interested.:)

You are both right, assuming you both have a driver license, why are you arguing?
No one needs driver x to tell them a Game is good or not, it is a driving game, if you drive you will know which one feels more like driving.
All you need then to do is drive more the one you like best. Since none is so advance that it is 100% like driving IRL, you either only drive one as it is the closest or you drive more than one as they each have good aspect you like.
I don’t personally find that most cars in PCars 2 drive like a real car, some are closer than other, what I like in PCars2 is the VR experience, the lighting and the cockpits are outstanding. If I find that the cars drive more like I expect them to in PCars 3, I am interested.:)

I wasn't arguing, I pointed out the fallacy in their argument. I agree with everything else you say. :)

I was C3PO from Lead Pursuit and there were many reasons why Falcon didn't continue ... but I appreciate the warm words for the product. Indeed, the sim was all about an F-16 pilot plonked into the middle of a live and evolving virtual universe of warfare and it felt so alive. The fans were generally super supportive and many super enthusiastic, and with that inevitably you see "factions of fans" coming together with different views and sometimes those views boiled over. But that is a different story from a place long, long ago in games development territory. I am totally in awe of Eagle Dynamics product today in their series ... incredible stuff Matt and his team are doing. But I go off topic :)

I still use Falcon 4 C3PO. And I remember you from various forums. Including SMS's. ;)

More Ian Bell news via GTPlanet. PC3 will be a spiritual successor to NFS Shift: https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-3-will-be-a-spiritual-successor-to-shift/
Read this earlier today.....not sure how I feel about a successor to Shift but glad they finally admitted to making mistakes about the development choices.

Time will tell I guess but I won't be jumping on the game day one, soley due to there last 3 subpar rushed titles.......hopefully they have learned from the mistakes and will take there time to polish the title more.

I am sure the few dozen loyal WMD must be super excited about this :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 189 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 191 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 248 13.5%