Another one of those.. (hopefully not)

Like the title says, lets not make this into another one of those.. threads that is my sim vs. your sim type of "discussions".

I was really into netKar, because of the amazing physics (to my taste). I had high hopes for assetto corsa because of this, but to be honest I cant recognize any netKar physics in AC. It's just not at that level of fidelity.

But.. back in netKar days alot of people wanted me to try rFactor 1 and said that it had very good physics. I tried it several times, different cars and so on and I could never get a good feeling from it. Even with that FFB-tweak everyone used. I guess it's just not my kind of style.

So the difficult question, what I want to ask from you guys who tried and is using both.. how would you explain rfactor2 physics and FFB? Many say it's better than AC. I wouldnt rank AC as very good, although obviously better than arcade titles like NFS. I would personally rank iRacing just a tad higher than AC, for my own preference.

So how would you explain rfactor physics and ffb for me? I would like to hear before considering buying it.

"Seems to me they tried to make the sim a little too difficult "

Sorry dude common misconception, the cars are the most naturally handling cars on a computer screen, no need to take my word either this is repeated at both top level sim racing and in commercial applications,the "snapping" sensation I feel in almost every sim except rf2 (especially cars with newer CPM).

To me with your low speed FFB issues sounds very clear to me that you are heavily "clipping", and missing the detail thats telling you where grip is at, get the pedal plugin to show FFB forces and adjust so not clipping, as I post this Im hoping online to do some inline sixes, feel free to join and i'll show you a whole server that have no issues what so ever with "pendulum" effect, in fact you will see the fastest guys in these porches (much like the skippys) practically drifting for their fastest times, they so close to edge aliens, that they very monetarily step over it, its amazing watching them and the cars.

That's enougher test of great sim, the HUGE variance between drivers, theres so many levels, thats why can be hard to find matches for racing in rf2 compared to others,Ive noticed less sim in games, the more the skill gaps are a lot closer, in rf2 gaps are huge between even a fast guy and a genuine alien, all IMO of course.

Edit: sry not exactly booming in MP at mo like normal at this time, its almost like ppl have something better to do on 31st of dec.

Thanks for your reply. It's not a ffb issue I was explaining but rather unresponsive steering output at low speed. Feels very strange to me.

Hey Tomas, those particular cars have not seen an update for about 3 years. This means they are missing almost all of the features released since then. Essentially it's going to be missing a ton of feel.
It still has more than enough to go around though. If you take the Brabham out, you will notice a richer driving experience. It still has that pendulum effect, but a combination of correct driving and some minor setup tweaks, like increasing damper stiffness will pay dividends. The historics have taken a back seat for a while so I'm really hoping they get updates out for them soon. The F3s in particular are very popular online, for those that partake ;)

The most common issue new rF2 drivers face is acclimatisation. Ensuring you have the correct steering rate and power is critical to the output from the wheel. Too much power and it will feel great on the fast corners but you lose everything when you slow. Instead, aim for maybe 70% power where you still get a lot of weight on the wheel at high speed, but low is nimble instead of sloppy.

If you want to experience the latest tech, I'd recommend the newly updated 2012 F1 cars.

Thanks. I noticed the Brabham felt better. Still the pendulum effect though.
About the acclimatization though it's probably a very valid point.

Kind of talking to myself but at least it's my thread and perhaps someone has some pointers to my random thoughts. ;)

Next thought: Many of the tracks are really bad, especially conversions. I never cared much for the laser scanned-stuff, but now I'm starting to appreciate the point of them.
I love Laguna Seca for example, the best looking one (to me) has some surface problems which makes the car jump on straights in a very strange way. I would guess it's part the track and part the physics interpretation of this 3d-mesh that creates the behaviour. The physics model seems much more realistic on smoother track surfaces.
I did have some nice AI racing on laguna seca with the flat6 mod, even though the jumping behaviour.

Also.. the graphics probably isnt that bad as I first thought, it's really the tracks that have poor textures in many cases. In some cases even terrible.

Do all the cars have auto clutch? I dont seem to even need to throttle blip or use the clutch at all in all of them.

If you turn off auto clutch and auto blip then you will most certainly have to operate it fully manually.

Unless the mod has them turned on... e.g. Apex Modding GT3.

As noted in many other threads, it is possible to shift without using the clutch. Starting and stalling need a clutch unless you have auto clutch turned on. Auto blip makes smooth downshifts so you don't have to heel & toe.

Next thought: Many of the tracks are really bad, especially conversions. I never cared much for the laser scanned-stuff, but now I'm starting to appreciate the point of them.

Also.. the graphics probably isnt that bad as I first thought, it's really the tracks that have poor textures in many cases. In some cases even terrible.

Just so you know why Tomas... If a track is made for a last generation simulation and converted, say from rF or AC to rF2, the textures need to be redone, the mesh density increased, quadrified and smoothed at a minimum. Generally, there are no automated tools for the procedure so it is just plain hard and laborious work. There are a lot of conversions out there from average joe who basically got it in game and shared it out. Make a note of the version if it's a track you are really interested in, discard and watch for new releases.

It really is not even worth your time to have a look at these tracks as many of them have bump ratios in the extreme and textures designed on a 15" monitor.

Laguna unfortunately is one of the few yank tracks not really available, the one you tried is "serviceable" but is well over due for a re-do, but we do have access to mid-ohio,sebring,Road America,Atlantic mosport,Canadian tire mosport,villeneuve-Montreal and a lot of good oval infields all very very good quality, unfortunately need a updated Sonoma and Laguna, wish had time and skill to do me self.

@Tomas Torasen

You're right. It doesn't matter at all. You can still do fast shifts without lifting or anything.

Learnt something new today.

Yeah it seems so to me. Which kind of makes it feel stupid to use the clutch, which theoretically then just would add time to the shifting and slow you down, which is a shame because I will stop using the clutch and feel less realistic. I really like my H-pattern shifter and using the clutch like in a real car, never were much for the paddle shifting cars.

I still cant get the game to show my name in races, it says "Y. Name" although I changed it in that file. Any ideas about that one?

Indeed, that is a confusing one, no idea why they haven't made it easier, but here we go:

1. Open folder %appdata% in Windows Explorer.

2. Go to .rFactor folder.

3. Open rFactor.name file with notepad.

4. First line is your name, second line is your surname, last line is your nickname. I.e. your file needs to change to this most likely:

Tomas
Torasen
Tomas Torasen

Yeah it seems so to me. Which kind of makes it feel stupid to use the clutch, which theoretically then just would add time to the shifting and slow you down, which is a shame because I will stop using the clutch and feel less realistic. I really like my H-pattern shifter and using the clutch like in a real car, never were much for the paddle shifting cars.

I agree that must be annoying.

Indeed, that is a confusing one, no idea why they haven't made it easier, but here we go:

1. Open folder %appdata% in Windows Explorer.

2. Go to .rFactor folder.

3. Open rFactor.name file with notepad.

4. First line is your name, second line is your surname, last line is your nickname. I.e. your file needs to change to this most likely:

I have no rFactor folder in that directory or anywhere near it..
I use windows 7 64 bit.

I have no idea about hidden folders...

BTW.. I tried removing content (original) from the folders, like tracks and cars that I dont like.. the launcher that starts before the game keeps reinstalling them. And in that launcher UI I cant uninstall original content, only content I added after installation..
How do I remove content?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 149 7.7%
  • < 5 years