Another Newbie - could really use some help

I'm a late 50's and completely new to PC gaming and interested in Sim Racing. I would like to get into IRacing after getting my feet wet. I also have a 7 year old that is crazy about Nascar and would like to let him drive in some single player sims or practice modes.

I have had no previous experience with PC gaming software or hardware.

After approximately two months of reading, I found a good deal on a New non gaming Windows 10, 64Bit computer, ($399). A Dell 3847, unclockable Intel i5 4460 @ 3.2GHz. 8 GB of RAM

I also purchased a Sapphire Nitro R9 380 and a 550W Seasonic PSU, (not installed yet). My total investment is right at $700. I hope I have correctly thought this would be a good setup to start and hoping it should last a couple of years before needing or wanting to upgrade.

After Much reading, I decided to go with the Logitech G29 because it was $324 @ Bestbuy and I got 18 months no interest which makes it very doable for me after everything else I have already spent. I also liked the pedals for a starter setup and will get a shifter after getting the rest up and running.

I would have liked the T500 RS or a Fanatec but my budget wouldn't allow at this point, maybe later. Or sooner if I am sorry with this purchase.

I downloaded Nascar 15 hoping the 7 year could use it but not sure it's going to work with the G29. If anyone can comment which sims they know will for sure work with the G29, that would be helpful.

I have the computer up and running but do not know where to start with the wheel. I can't seem to find any instructions what so ever and feeling pretty dumb at this point.

I downloaded the Logitech Gaming Software for Windows 10, 64Bit. I am not sure if this automatically downloads drivers I may need or if that is an extra step I need to perform. The software dashboard recognizes the G29 but I am not sure it it is suppose to calibrate itself or if that is something I initiate. I have tried cycling the wheel power and plugging and re plugging the USB. When I click on the test a profile tab, the default profile, I get a drop down window but nothing in it so I am not sure how this testing a profile works.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies Jeff & Paul.

I had selected the switch for PC. So far searching google has not shown me any guidance on setting up or calibrating the G29. I'll keep searching.

I did read somewhere a suggestion on another post to remove and reinstall the Logitech Gaming Software. After two days of trying everything I can think of, I am going to try this.

Upvote 0
There should be an indicator if the wheel is recognized at all.
Some LED that's lit or similar.
When i turn on my PC the G27 wheel does 2 full 900° turns on it's own
and the green status LED is lit on the hand shifter.

Here's a video on how to install the wheel:

You should also find calibration options in control panel > devices and printers
to see if the wheel is recognized at all.

Last resort would be trying other USB sockets you know are working.

You don't really need to set up the wheel.
So far in all sims i've tried it was enough to load the G27 profile and
it was usually a pretty good start.

Upvote 0
UPDATE....
I had signed up for 4 forums and was receiving few if any replies, so I am very thankful for this site!

Xnorb, thank you for the reply.

Your reply started to address what someone completely new that had never touched a sim wheel might expect.

Paul, thank you for checking in. To answer your question, I am there!

I am around computers all of the time but trying to use this G29 had me really feeling dumb. Even after signing up for and reading 4 forums for the last 3 days, I had come to the conclusion, I was still missing something or the wheel was defective. I had already started considering sending the wheel back, and spending an extra $200 for a T500RS.

After all of that came the dumbest part of all.

I was not getting power to the wheel.

It was plugged into a 2 into 6 outlet adapter where the double outlet was unknowingly, only ½ controlled by a wall switch. It was plugged into the side of the 6 plug adapter that was switched off. Everything else plugged into the adapter was powered up fine.

Because I had no idea, instructions or advice on what to expect with a new wheel this was not obvious to me.

So, for all those that come behind me and have never touched a Sim Wheel before.

Here are a really few basics that I believe most veterans would not think to tell you.

On the G29 the green LED light that is next to the PS3 / PS4 switch, lights up EVEN if the wheel has no power to it. The LED lights up when the wheel in plugged into the UBS port on the computer.

This was misleading as I thought it meant the wheel had power. It wasn't until I decide to uninstall the Logitech Gaming Software and start from scratch that I found this out. When I plugged in the USB to the computer and noticed the green light came on before I plugged the transformer into an outlet, I immediately knew to confirm whether I had power coming into the wheel. I did not.

It took a whole 3 minutes to figure it out and have the wheel up and running.

When I powered the wheel up, it calibrated itself automatically by turning all the way to the right, then all the way to the left. After reading forums and seeing other wheels do this on YouTube, I felt the G29 should have also done this but nobody confirmed this for me in any of the posts I started.

The whole time I was trying to calibrate and or test this wheel both through the windows calibration program and through two Sim programs, I could get the pedals and all buttons mapped and working, but could never get the wheel to control anything or show movement in any of the tests. In the two sim programs, the car was always in a hard left steering lock. With everything else working and the green light on, this had become very confusing, leading me to believe the wheel itself might be defective.

One easy clue had I known is; When the wheel is powered up and calibrates itself there then well be resistance when you try to turn the wheel left or right. You'll feel the wheel is powered up. I did not know this and the wheel just free wheeled when I tried to turn left or right.

Just knowing these few simple things would have saved me 3 days of frustration. All manufacturers should included these tips for those that have never touched a wheel before.

Also I had already known this but if your using a PC, the PS3 / PS4 switch should be set to PS4.

I am happy to say, that after getting the wheel up and running, Nascar 15 works fine. After about 30 minutes of fine tuning a car setup, I have it where my 7 year old will be ecstatic and undoubtedly a future sim racer.

Although I only spent a few minutes with it, the wheel worked fine on Dirt Rally as well.

Now the only question I have is; requests for advise, facts or opinions on what might be some good sims I can meet friends to race with? Eventually I will subscribe to iracing but would like to know other options as well.

Moving forward I believe most of my inquiries will be more of a technical nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really happy you made it!

Get one of the many cheap 3 months subscriptions for iRacing and try it out.
It's the only sim built around clean online racing, so if you look for that, that's where it's at.
And you have 3 months to make up your mind.
But keep in mind that it's the most expensive sim out there.

I PERSONALLY would suggest getting Stock Car Extreme.
It's already a pretty good sim and being an rFactor sim you have access to literally everything.
Thinking about what's to come, it's a good purchase.
But don't trust me, i'm a Reiza fanboy :)

Fortunately it's 2015, there are many great sims around and we got YouTube and RaceDepartment.
You spent lots of time fixing your wheel, now spend some more time on finding the right sim for you :)
If you're a crazy guy like many of us, then in 1 year you will not ask "Which sim should i buy" but "Okay, i own all sims, which one should i launch first?" ;)

And not to forget: Welcome to PC simracing!

Upvote 0
@TopFuel500

Have fun with your new equipment.
Everybody has had trouble to make things work when they started using PC or simracing. It's great you managed to make your wheel and first game running.

There are a lot of good racing games, it might be complicated to choose... but if you want to progress, my advice would be to focus on a single game (let's say two if one is a different style like Nascar or Rally).
Every game has its own mechanism and steering wheel behaviour so especially at the beginning, switching too often is bad for the learning curve.

Upvote 0
Glad your up an running, now onto the sims. The fourm page has all the sims listed , That's the next stage try demos were you can as said iRacing gets a little pricing but it has the best online package. rfactor2 an StockCarExtreme are good for a driving experience the others are good for visuals.

Upvote 0
Also Assetto Corsa with the last update is very good in the multiplayer, the netcode improved dramatically. And in personal opinion, it has the best driving feel in the logitech wheels.
Its a matter of preference really.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%