another newb question

plan on joining iracing sometime during the holidays when i get a new video card and have some extra time for practice. spend most of my time now on single player gsce and r3e. the physics in iracing resemble either of those?

I don't know about you but if I spin out in iRacing i blame my driving, not the physics. I seriously don't understand all the fuss about GSCE, I agree it's good, but it's no holy grail for physics and FFB to me, I find most other sims to be at its level or beyond.
As far as iracing physics goes I find them excellent, especially after trying them with the rift, they make sense.

I am not an expert of sims or real racing in any means and I can only comment on what I like in the games. I enjoy iracing a lot and I think the physics are excellent. I do think the FFB could be improved in some cars.

Now that Iracing is getting it's physics and grip levels more in line its really in a league of it's own. Yes it can be costly but it is an in-depth service that offers a lot once you start diving into it. There are other sims with better attributes but I got to admit it is a pretty amazing service. I have had other hobbies I've spent a lot more on.:). I race in Gsce and rfactor 2 clubs and leagues so I am not a fanboy. Iracing is what it is.

Fair enough, the last one was about a month ago. Has it changed since then? Quite a few people on the interweb call it iceracing, it's a bit of humour that's all. No need to get upset. ;)
Not upset, I just think discussion works better when we don't need to resort to ad hominem :) It's a lazy technique for those who can't make a valid argument.

I asked when you last raced because I've not considered it much 'icy' since the OTM. The NTM had its own stability issues I'd not characterize as ice. YMMV of course.

Listen, I said it's all down to personal preference. No need for childish almost fanboy comments or trying to put other members down by calling them immature or lazy in a roundabout way.
My reply was in response to the OP's question and it was my opinion. No need to jump on people because they have a different opinion to you. That is childish and lazy and typical of internet warriors.

My last comment on this topic.

Listen, I said it's all down to personal preference. No need for childish almost fanboy comments or trying to put other members down by calling them immature or lazy in a roundabout way.
My reply was in response to the OP's question and it was my opinion. No need to jump on people because they have a different opinion to you. That is childish and lazy and typical of internet warriors.

My last comment on this topic.
I think it's mostly misunderstanding going on here, I don't see either of you as jumping the other, but that's the problem with forum posts, there's a lot more emotion going on behind the keyboard that does not ever fully translate into text, so lets all hug and sing cumbaya? :)
With that having been said, I think we all can benefit from reading through our posts one more time before we post them to make sure what we're saying isn't too easy to misinterpret. I hope you didn't take my comments about maturity etc as a stab at you Andy, cos they where not directed at you (or anyone else in this thread in particular either, it was a general remark).

back to me :) after getting signed up, logged in, wheel and pedals calibrated and some of the settings and things figured out, thiink i had time for about 1 lap in the mx-5. not really enough even to make a semi educated comment. still plenty of things to dial in and figure out.

back to me :) after getting signed up, logged in, wheel and pedals calibrated and some of the settings and things figured out, thiink i had time for about 1 lap in the mx-5. not really enough even to make a semi educated comment. still plenty of things to dial in and figure out.

Just to point out a feature that most newcomers miss - before you're ready to race you can spectate instead and there will be a Test Drive button. This puts you in the race as a ghost car that others can't see or hit. This lets you get comfortable with a car/series without risking iRating or Safety Rating. :)

Last edited:
Ran about an hour worth of laps tonight at lime rock with the miata. Didn't have to much problem after afew laps, although it is slicker than what I'm used to. A couple of laps at mazda raceway was a different story. I was all over the place.:) practice practice.

Keep in mind that on the first lap you'll have cold tires and brakes, this affects grip much more in iracing than in most other Sims, the exception being rF2. So be really careful on the out lap, next lap should be far better and the next after you can go all out. Also if you crash out and reset the car you reset the tire temperatures and need to start over heating them. Weather conditions and time of day also affects grip levels.
A neat little detail in case you haven't noticed already is that you'll hear the brakes squeak when cold but that disappears as heat build up.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back