Another Ex F1 Driver Joins Formula E as Wehrlein Confirms 2019 Switch

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Mahindra FE 2.jpg

Pascal Wehrlein has removed himself from the running for a drive with Toro Rosso next season, confirming his commitment to a Formula E role from 2019.

Becoming yet another ex-Grand Prix driver to migrate to the electric powered Formula E category, Wehrlein, 24, has switched disciplines from the German DTM championship to agree a multi-year deal to race in Formula E, effectively ending the rumours that Red Bull junior outfit Toro Rosso have been seriously considering the former Manor and Sauber racer for a seat with the Faenza based squad next year.

Having lost his drive with Sauber to the highly regarded Charles Leclerc this year, Wehrlein would find himself plying his trade in the German DTM championship for 2018, a category where the German national still holds the record of youngest ever champion thanks to his successes for the Three Pointed Star during the 2015 season.

Although showing flashes of pace this year, it would be a difficult return to the category for Wehrlein as he reacquainted himself with closed top machinery once again, and thank to the severing of ties with Mercedes Benz, and the withdrawal of the manufacturer from the category for next season, Wehrlein found himself in a difficult situation where serious opportunities to continue a professional racing career looked perilously few and far between.

Having shown reasonable pace during his stints at Manor and Sauber, it would have been logical for Toro Rosso to take the young driver under consideration for one of its drives next year, especially considering the lack of in house talent available to the team. However with a decision still under consideration, Wehrlein has taken the initiative and secured what has been described as a “long term” deal to race for Mahindra in Formula E, returning the driver to open wheel competition and remaining within an FIA certified championship, something that is sure to appeal as he keeps one eye on a potential return to Grand Prix racing in future seasons.

“I’m very happy to be joining Mahindra Racing, said Wehrlein. "It’s a small team but with really high ambitions and I have the same high ambitions.

"I want to achieve the best possible results and I have a feeling the team is the right environment for me. I’m looking forward to the season and I will give my best."
Wehrlein joins Jérôme d'Ambrosio at the Mahindra team for 2018, with current driver and fellow former Grand Prix racer Nick Heidfield moving to an ambassadorial role with the popular Indian team.

Mahindra FE Wherlien.jpg

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Disappointed to see Wehrlein fail to make it back on the F1 grid? Do you think the fast German can fight for top honours with Mahindra? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
FE will fizzle in time. Right now it's where the money is because everyone is crying that other forms of racing are killing the planet :).
The only reason it's still around it's because is being propped up with cash. You know, like Tesla is with taxpayer money. Tesla would have been gone a long time ago, except for that fact. But, all in time. Right now, Musk needs the money. You know, so he can build rockets to Mars.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 225 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 222 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%