Hi all,

I have an issue with my game where when using the H shifter + clutch, there's no realism in when the clutch must be depressed. The game allows shifting and clutch timing to be completely out of sync. Its so bad I can change gear and then use the clutch after I've already moved the shifter into position.

Basically, I can shift gears (not clutching) and the car goes into neutral (which is what id like it to do, its a miss-shift), however, even after the fact, if I blip the clutch it puts the car into gear like I never missed the shift. How do I fix this so that the game requires me to actually time my shifts? I have a Logitech shifter that doesn't have any fancy locking mechanisms or other sorts of feedback so I prefer to gain a little realism by challenging myself to time downshifts and whatnot correctly. I play games like dirt rally and enjoy having a penalty for miss shifting, where the car stays in neutral and you have to bring it out of gear and shift again correctly. I've found I get really sloppy with timing when I'm downshifting or quickly shifting in general after I've played AC. It's tempting to just throw it into gear and touch the clutch afterwards, however, I then struggle with timing in other games that don't let you get away with this.

I'm not sure if I accidentally changed a setting when I was messing around with the game at first, or if this is just Assetto Corsa, but id love to know if there's a way to fix this.

I also understand if this sounds a little unclear, ask any questions you need, I'm not sure how exactly to describe it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure rF2 is the same. I've actually never played a sim, or at least never noticed the behaviour, of a real penalty for mis-shifting. Glad to hear Dirt Rally has something, sounds like a good solution to me.

In AC you should experience gearbox damage if you shift without clutch or mistime downshift without clutch. Unless you use mod car which doesn't have gearbox damage implemented. Have to say that "gear grinding" damage isn't very realistic because in real car nobody would keep on forcing gear in when they hear/feel the grind. Can't see any good solution for this without FFB-shifter.

If I remember correctly that Dirt Rally solution forces you to use clutch every time which isn't realistic either.

Okay, thank you!

I do understand why this is the case, and as I mentioned I don't have a FFB shifter. I was just really asking if anyone knew how to mod something into the game or if there's a setting to change things up. It's not a huge deal, just me being picky. I might just buy a FFB shifter in the next month, but for now I'd like to see if I can mess with the setup I have right now so it fits my preferences.

If anyone knows of a mod that lets you play around with the clutch and how it behaves I'd appreciate the help. I just personally don't like the fact that you can shift gears and then push the clutch after the fact. I get super sloppy and lazy whenever I play the game because it's tempting to just do that. The game doesn't really react to it other than doing some transmission damage until the clutch is tapped. Again, it's not a huge game-breaking thing, I really enjoy the game. I guess I'm really just looking for a way to help discourage myself from getting lazy while shifting.

I'd basically like to see if its possible to be set up so the gear has to be disengaged and re-engaged with better timing before the car puts the power down. For me, it makes me more aware of my shifts. It's just a personal preference.

Thanks!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years