Annoying cascade shadow

Has anyone figured out a way to move the cascade shadow further down the track? ATM is is only like 20 meters in front of the player, ACC there is an option in the files to make it further away from the driver view, can this be done in rF2?

Has anyone figured out a way to move the cascade shadow further down the track? ATM is is only like 20 meters in front of the player, ACC there is an option in the files to make it further away from the driver view, can this be done in rF2?

I think I get this. Do you mean the shadows in the distance on the armco barriers as you drive? The sides of the screens like on one of my videos for example

I hate it also, I guess due to older engine? Would love a fix.

Yeah thats it mate , not that noticeable in you video , i was distracted by the realism .
Man rF2 looks like **** in your video , how can people play a game that looks that ......real ! You have rF2 looking amazing man , probably the best ive seen it look .
What version of Oulton is this ?

Yeah thats it mate , not that noticeable in you video , i was distracted by the realism .
Man rF2 looks like **** in your video , how can people play a game that looks that ......real ! You have rF2 looking amazing man , probably the best ive seen it look .
What version of Oulton is this ?

I don’t understand what you mean “how can people play a game that looks so real?”

Anyway, thanks for saying I think lol....maybe it’s the 1440p IPS monitors that make it look a little better? I force 4xAA and 2x transparent SSAA in Nvidia Control Panel and have fxaa disabled in game as it makes it to blurry.

Regarding Oulton Park, I’ll double check later this evening when I’m home from work, but I’m sure it’s one from Steam workshop. I’ll update this post tonight with the version and a link.

Hi. Here is the link to the mod @2stains https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=774417166

Last edited:
I don’t understand what you mean “how can people play a game that looks so real?”
Sorry mate , was my poor attempt at sarcasm ;) People always saying rF2 loks like crap and your video should be linked to those people because its probably the best looking rF2 ive seem on YouTube ! I really like the way rF2 looks but it has to be a nice track as some mods really let it down .
Thanks for the tip on AA and link to track , i was already Subbed to it and the cars .
What size screens are they and what GPU are you using ? What FPS do you target ?

Edit , just saw you V64 video . Is that enough for triple 1440p ?

Sorry mate , was my poor attempt at sarcasm ;) People always saying rF2 loks like crap and your video should be linked to those people because its probably the best looking rF2 ive seem on YouTube ! I really like the way rF2 looks but it has to be a nice track as some mods really let it down .
Thanks for the tip on AA and link to track , i was already Subbed to it and the cars .
What size screens are they and what GPU are you using ? What FPS do you target ?

Ah my bad, I’m sorry, it’s not easy to get sarcasm sometimes through text on a forum. I totally get it now.

They are 27” Gigabyte Aourus IPS 1440p 144hz Freesync monitors. I’m using a 1080ti with a big overclock and luckily with newer Nvidia drivers these are actually Gsync compatible so I get the full benefit of the adaptive sync tech which makes it feel buttery smooth. With a full grid at the start around 80fps then up to 110ish when the pack thins out. Frames do take a hit under certain lighting conditions though.

I’ll be posting some more videos from Rfactor and other sims in the future as I’m looking to find some sort of hobby to keep me occupied, I’ve had some tough times of late and this is a way of escaping a little if you know what I mean. Keep an eye out for more content and an ever improving sim rig. You can see the rig over in the “show your rig” thread, I think it’s back a page or 2.

And regarding V64....I’m not sure to be honest, that’s my main gaming rig which isn’t my rig for sim racing. My sim rig is in the video description on my videos.

Anyway, I feel I’m derailing your thread here, so if you like, any questions just pm me or email me, I’m more than happy to take time to reply.

Last edited:
Anyway, thanks for saying I think lol....maybe it’s the 1440p IPS monitors that make it look a little better? I force 4xAA and 2x transparent SSAA in Nvidia Control Panel and have fxaa disabled in game as it makes it to blurry.

I guess you applied some video filters to the cockpit view? The TV camera view on the upper left corner looks much more monochrome and the way rF2 typically looks. The onboard camera video shows very strong blues and saturation, so it looks to me it has been post-processed.

Regarding the op's question this came up on the assetto forums lately and Stefano gave this answer -

the one and only technique available for "sun shadows" right now is CSM (cascade shadow mapping).. and that's what everybody uses.
The idea is to divide the visible scene in a series of shadow map to cover it. Because different part of the scene will be covered by a different shadow map, and that shadow map has to cover more and more space the more far is from the camera there will be a change in shadow resolution between different "cascades".

The best thing engine can do is to make this transition as smooth as possible without wasting pixels (overlapping portions of shadow maps are a "waste").. UE4 is pretty exceptional in this but it can't cure the worst possible scenario with the guard-rails and the shadow that is "following" the camera.. it's definitely waaaay smoother than AC1 (that used 3 cascades and no smoothing/overlap) but the difference is so big that it's impossible to ignore.

The other problem that we see in ACC is trees.. and it has nothing to do with CSM shadowing per-se and more to do with the fact that in order to have full blown 3D trees these also need to be heavily lodded (switched to a lower resolution model) in the distance or the framerate will crawl to a stop.
The "shadow popping" we see is simply trees going from a lod where the leaves were not actual 3D triangles to a more detailed one with 3D leaves and branches.. because of this now there are lots of shadows where before there was none (because the tree was a simplified version with few triangles).

so ya, they are pretty much present in every game out there with a variable time of the day and outdoor scene.. possibly made less obvious by the fact that you don't get fast moving objects in close proximity with shadow receiver as it's the case with racing games.
AFAIK there's no real alternative to CSM... something was attempted some years ago with techniques belonging to a base idea called VSM but they come with so many gotchas and corner cases than no games used them. again AFAIK.

Sadly it looks like something we'll have to live with until raytracing becomes viable.

For the technically inclined here's a link to a description of CSM:
https://developer.download.nvidia.c...aded_shadow_maps/doc/cascaded_shadow_maps.pdf

and VSM:
http://developer.download.nvidia.co...ceShadowMapping/Doc/VarianceShadowMapping.pdf

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/should-kunos-drop-unreal.60066/page-4

I guess you applied some video filters to the cockpit view? The TV camera view on the upper left corner looks much more monochrome and the way rF2 typically looks. The onboard camera video shows very strong blues and saturation, so it looks to me it has been post-processed.
If he is using a filter i'd be happy to try it also as it looks rather nice ;)

Ah my bad, I’m sorry, it’s not easy to get sarcasm sometimes through text on a forum. I totally get it now.

They are 27” Gigabyte Aourus IPS 1440p 144hz Freesync monitors. I’m using a 1080ti with a big overclock and luckily with newer Nvidia drivers these are actually Gsync compatible so I get the full benefit of the adaptive sync tech which makes it feel buttery smooth. With a full grid at the start around 80fps then up to 110ish when the pack thins out. Frames do take a hit under certain lighting conditions though.

I’ll be posting some more videos from Rfactor and other sims in the future as I’m looking to find some sort of hobby to keep me occupied, I’ve had some tough times of late and this is a way of escaping a little if you know what I mean. Keep an eye out for more content and an ever improving sim rig. You can see the rig over in the “show your rig” thread, I think it’s back a page or 2.

And regarding V64....I’m not sure to be honest, that’s my main gaming rig which isn’t my rig for sim racing. My sim rig is in the video description on my videos.

Anyway, I feel I’m derailing your thread here, so if you like, any questions just pm me or email me, I’m more than happy to take time to reply.
Thanks for the info , hey about derailing the thread , without the couple of posts bumping the thread i was getting nowhere but now i have the answer thanks to @Michael Stead

No filters, I guess that's just from the gopro recording. Only thing I did when I edited in sony vegas was to remove some saturation, I took it from 1.00 to 0.8 as the colour was quite bloated. But nothing else.

The track replay camera in the top corner I posted was recorded direct from pc with OBS so I guess that's why it looks a little different in colour to the gopro quality.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing