Featured Announced! Dakar 18 - The Game!!!!

Discussion in 'Dakar 18' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,075
    This will be a pure arcade according to video. What a shame.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rubennaatje

rubennaatje

Ratings:
    +1
    You guys seriously aren't realizing how much info has been released.

Seriously, read this https://www.reddit.com/r/dakarthegame/comments/7q7yzq

• Beer Beer x 1
  3. JorritVD

JorritVD
    Premium

Ratings:
    +194
    All depends on what people think is what a SIM is. Reading on the reddit page that you can (or even need to) exit the vehicle to repair the damage sounds quite simulation to me. Also doing a stage for 1-2 hours doesn't sound for me they don't focus on the arcade players (though I hope you can save the game in the middle of a stage). The graphics for me are not the most important at all, although it need a kind of minimum to sell it as well to people. The trailer looks well, but we know the real deal will look a bit different, although the landscapes could look ingame like this (trailer used game assets). The physics will still be a question. I think the driving physics will be mostly "authentic". Maybe a mix between DiRT3 and 4. It looks like there will be a gameplay trailer/clips of it soon, so than we can say more about the game. I am looking forward to this title :)

4. JorritVD

JorritVD
    Premium

Ratings:
    +194
    YEAH!!!! Just saw this on the facebook page:

[​IMG]

5. Pepper606

Pepper606

Ratings:
    +14
  6. f1.game

f1.game

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid this is going to be an arcade game seeing the handling of the vehicles in the trailer. I hope it will be better when the game comes out if it will be arcade. If it's arcade I really hope you can do multiplayer with 8 people or so. Otherwise this wouldn't be any good.

7. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,752
    You know, the first thing that comes to mind reading that summary is "that might be more ambitious than Star Citizen". Or at least that was my first reaction to it.

I don't want to come of as being *too* negative about the game, and I *am* cautiously optimistic about it, but, again, there's really not much to go by except the CGI trailer and some comments here and there. And if you look at the list, it just sounds too good to be true. I mean - everything you can think of is on the list. With some bits and pieces seemingly even contradicting itself to a point, at least from a game design point of view - based on that list (and also on the fact that it's also coming out on consoles), it kinda comes off as this one big hodgepodge of stuff thrown together for no reason other than to tick every box in the list. All that coming from a studio we've never really heard about with not much of a previous racing game experience (and from what they've participated on, WRC 3 was a pure arcade, though fun IMO, and WRC 5 was just terrible).

Again, I *want* the game to be good. But at this point, there really is not much to get hyped for except for quite a lot of unsubstantiated promises.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Hoksu

Hoksu

Ratings:
    +107
    Well said Martin Fiala. It's indeed wise to be a bit sceptical.

The very fact that there is such a long list of bold promises though they have shown nothing to support them is what gets the alarm bells ringing for me, because I find it VERY hard to believe a largely unknown small developer with a thoroughly unimpressive portfolio making their first racing sim could actually be able to deliver all that. There are numerous examples of games where a developer had hugely ambitious visions but sadly reality got in the way.

Though, if they really are aiming for a summer release then the development should be at a very advanced stage by now, so they should soon be able to show more than just a CGI trailer and 3D models.

9. Araripe

Araripe

Ratings:
    +11
    2018 is off to a great start

10. rubennaatje

rubennaatje

Ratings:
    +1
    They only did the 3d art for those games.

However it doesn't set a good standard for simulation value, but they have been focusing at on that. So far it sounds to me like they'll really try.

And the difference to star citizen is that this is not to attract 'investors'. it has already been in development for years, they're supposedly very far. Also a big team.

But definitely agree to some degree with you. Definitely good to be a bit skeptical, will be good to see some gameplay soon.

11. Ilya Malyuev

Ilya Malyuev

Ratings:
    +110
    The development of it turned into FUEL title.
    I was into Grand Raid Offroad concept so much more as well.

12. BeliacosGR

BeliacosGR

Ratings:
    +9
    I have always wanted a good solid game about Dakar and i have a feel this is! Wow lets hope it captures the Spirit of it and also has a good proper simulation physic engine! Leets see! I am greatly excited

13. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,752
    My point exactly...

14. quicksilver384

quicksilver384
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #85 Premium

Ratings:
    +909
    Awesome. Had a blast playing Dakar on PS1 (I think it was) if this a full on sim that would be epic but even its arcady like grid then id give it a shot.

15. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Ratings:
    +3,306
    I think it would've been on PS2. And ye, the more open stages were you drove freely between checkpoints that was far between each other was fun. The tracks ones was not though.

Regarding this being developee by unknown people, I don't see that as a particular bad thing, though their previous games havent been that... impressive, which is a bad thing.

However, the vast majority of good to great games I've played the last years have been indie-games or from devs going "rouge".

16. VirtuaIceMan

VirtuaIceMan

Ratings:
    +110
    There's a few games covering the Dakar in the past. Most people here are thinking of Paris-Dakar Rally from 2001, published by Acclaim and programmed by Broadsword (who also made Spirit of Speed 1937). This one was on PS2 and PC. The sequel, Dakar 2: The World's Ultimate Rally, was on GameCube, PS2 and Xbox (but not PC) by Acclaim Studios Cheltenham.

However there were a number of other, older, less officially licensed games in the past, including: Paris-Dakar, Paris Dakar 1990, Dakar '97 (I included the rare PC version in my guess the rally/offroad games), etc. See a list here: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/dakar-rally-setting

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  17. Matthew327

Matthew327
    Premium

Ratings:
    +533
    WHY AM I ONLY SEEING THIS NOW???

I've been praying for a Dakar game for years... Maybe, just maybe we're finally getting a proper one! (Aaaaaand it's time to whip out my PS2 and search for that bloody disc... Those were the days!)

18. Filip Carlén

Filip Carlén
    Premium

Ratings:
    +281
    Great news, can't tell anything from the trailer since it is 0 ingame shots (saw some saying on Facebook that "the physics looks bad" but 0 gamephysics in the trailer :p), but nice to see this, I have wanted this for years. Hopefully it is at least simulator-ish, and mostly hopefully it works with more than one input-device (which WRC7 did not when I tried it...)

19. Eckhart von Glan

Eckhart von Glan

Ratings:
    +826
    it will at least be one of the most hotly disputed titles of the year, judging by the posts generated here in 24 hours, which i think is always good. game looks good to me, i'll be looking out for it in steam christmas sale 2018 :)

20. SpoonMeister

SpoonMeister

Ratings:
    +2
    That looks like a real life photo.. I don't think those cars will be in the game.