Andretti to F1

the main opposition comes from Mercedes and Ferrari, both of whom have doubted the long-term worthiness of the project while using the old cliche of seeking to protect the sport's DNA
Further exemplar of the elitist "Old Boys Club" attitude of F1. "You're not one of us."

To paraphrase, "FIA, tear down this wall!".

The more teams the better in my opinion... although we don't want to see "no hopers" entering just to make up numbers - well no more than we have at the moment.. If a new team meets the entry requirements then they should be allowed to enter. Existing teams shouldn't be allowed to have any sort of veto in that area.
Otherwise we have a "franchise" situation where anyone that wants to compete in F1 has to buy an existing team.

And talking of "no hopers" it's been 13 years since the constuctors chamionship has been won by any team other than Red Bull or Mercedes.
And since McLaren won in 1998 we have seen only Ferrari, Renault and Brawn as winners in the other years.

Oh... we had 11 teams as recently as 2016 so the ten team "limit" is hardly a long standing thing.

We also need to consider who "owns" F1?
And who "calls the shots" on F1 is operated as a "sport"?
I am unshure who owns F1 my self. Is it Dominicalli or Mr Bin Salem (Or whatever his name is) And team principals usually join in the political debate. Its like the Houses of parlement with each person having a political view. Say what you like about Max and Bernie but they never gave into teams. It was like this is the rule if you don't like it pack your bags and leave. But we live in a PC society where that kind of leadership wont work.

It seems like the teams are intimidated by Andretti. They have something be it money or skilled people and ability to atract good sponsors. This means they will mouve to front in 3 to five years and that scares F1. If we can send cars there to race and have teams with American people why cant we have a American team. If Andretti cant come in then we might as well loose American races. This is how to get American fans involved in F1 as many don't understand it.

In the US the situation is a vicious circle. Those with the money are loathe to risk it on a team with so little public interest, but the public will not be interested in a series with no US team.

It's just like movie/TV production; we get sequels of sequels of sequels but rarely will a studio invest in a new or innovative project. Remember the US is hardcore capitalist; nothing, absolutely nothing, gets done here unless someone along the way makes an obscene profit from it.

It seems like the teams are intimidated by Andretti. They have something be it money or skilled people and ability to atract good sponsors. This means they will move to front in 3 to five years and that scares F1.
iu

U.S.-based Liberty Media would have much to gain from an Andretti entry.

I am not sure how much power Liberty exerts over FOM--Formula One Management or the recalcitrant individual teams.

As an American, an F1 fan, one who wants to see more cars on the grid,, and--more importantly--one who would like to see more gifted drivers get a crack at the top of open-wheel racing, I hope Andretti gets a chance. They are a determined operation: success is possible but very uphill.

Last edited:
I always want to see more teams competing in F1.
More teams equal more battles and more potential for top-end challenges.
I don't really care if it is an American team or not.
We don't have to be at the center of everything because of our money and influence.
If Andretti/Cadillac happens and it sparks more F1 interest in the North American market, that is fine.
Any additional, sustainable competition is good.

To be honest i don't know why Andretti would want to being that indycar and imsa are far better for racing, much better camaraderie and still exciting to watch especially now gtp is here and driver reshuffle's in the indycar paddock. As an avid fan of F1 since 92 the series has become stale and bureaucracy seems like the forefront of it now not the racing. Watching pundits and formula one commentators talk politics rather that racing puts a lifelong fan off and as indycar provides excitement and better drivers with feelings that they feel free to express on tv makes it the better series, just wish they had a few more races on the calendar.

Reactions: jgf
"just wish they had a few more races on the calendar"

And on TV.

I miss the days when between ESPN, ABC, TBS, and TNN you could watch, live, all the F1 races, all the NASCARE races, all the CART races, and a good selection of IMSA, F2, even SCCA and vintage events. Today it seems every series contracts on a race by race basis with whatever broadcast, cable, or streaming supplier is interested. The only way to get steady coverage of any series in the US today would be to have a football game in the infield of each event.

I am exited about Andretti coming into F1. But i see why it is not popular as money from F1 is split between teams. That means less money for Williams, HASS and other poor teams. If F1 increased revenue with only 20 teams they make more. And if another team comes in they make the same or less whitch is not enough. So small teams will be forced to sell to buyers or go broke and shut down. Then we will be back to 10 teams. Andretti have been in motorsport a long time and have conections like sponsors and money so i think they will mouve quickly to the front. And we will get American representation. But most American drivers have little interest in F1. But a American who is competative and has a shot at tittle will do a lot for the rating's in America.
i agree and the coming of this team make more competence, more competence are better performance , better perfonmance more sponsors

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back