And they say this game is easy

Hai all.

like the most of you i love to do some laps in AC.
As i am not the fastest driver around, i don't have my expectations set to brake world records here.
And i found out that i'm not the the best set-upper.
But still i like the challenge.

my fav car Atm is the Porsche rsr-2017. cause i watched the le mans race and now i'm hooked again.
as the next WEC race is on the Nurburg-Gp circuit and I'm going there , i try to get some laps in.
but even after 5 days of practicing and setting up the car, i can't even get close to the targets the Ai sets for me.
I race against the ai. 100 strength 90 agro 1% variation.
the leader laps at 1:54.xxx and i'm happy when i pull a low 1:57 on them, most laps are high 57's low 58's.

as i try to set my car up for the race and not so for quali. i find it hard to get it right.
those laps i see from yt vids and live footage are blowing my mind.

I always wanted to do some online racing but i'm very reluctant on that subject now with this slow pace i carry.
as a fan of sim racing: I salute you fast racers out there. I really have respect for those skills you all have.

Well, they're not supposed to post a time with it and if a mod sees it they will usually edit it out and let the person know not to discuss lap times in race threads. Here it should be totally fine though because it's not for an official race.
It is for a race. The tt at the nurburgring. The difference is that we are not on the race post.

It is for a race. The tt at the nurburgring. The difference is that we are not on the race post.

Oh, the way it was worded in the OP made it sound like he was just trying to run the same combo that the WEC would be running and he was talking about racing the AI so it wasn't clear he was talking about a club race. I'm not sure what the policy is on discussing lap time outside of the race thread, probably still discouraged but I guess the cat's already out of the bag on that one.

Oh, the way it was worded in the OP made it sound like he was just trying to run the same combo that the WEC would be running and he was talking about racing the AI so it wasn't clear he was talking about a club race. I'm not sure what the policy is on discussing lap time outside of the race thread, probably still discouraged but I guess the cat's already out of the bag on that one.
Yeah but it's hard to not speak about laptimes when talking about how to improve. At first we talked about the Porsche, then they moved for a couple of posts on the race event.

The AI can vary alot depending on the car. They seem generally pretty good with GT cars.

Generally I find that understeer means you're going to fast. There's very few things in sim racing as awful as a car understeering out of a corner. That's part of the reason I turn in as late as possible, I try to get the turning over with by the time I hit the apex so I'm as straight as possible exiting the corner and the understeer isn't as much of an issue. I work under the assumption that if I have to make any steering corrections while exiting a corner that I've made a mess of things and I'm going to be slow. It's not a hard and fast rule but generally it seems right.
It's too simplified. Understeer in corner entry means you are to fast for that corner, understeer in corner exit depends on the car and its setup. A porsche will always understeer because the engine is on the rear. The audi gt3 for example understeer a lot with the default setup but it can be fixable. Generally speaking, an oversteery car is faster because it can be more aggressive on turns. If you watch F1, you often hear (especially last year) ferrari drivers complaining about undesteer.

The audi gt3 for example understeer a lot with the default setup but it can be fixable. Generally speaking, an oversteery car is faster because it can be more aggressive on turns.
The understeer on exit can probably be reduced, I'm not really good enough at setups to do that yet, so I have to deal with the understeer as it happens. I really dislike understeer on exit because I'm assuming pushing the front of the car around like that is slowing everything down, so to me it's worth some lost time in the corner if I get a good exit out of it..

I wouldn't like to have a setup that leans too far towards oversteer, especially in the mid engined GT3 cars, they tend to snap violently, at least that was my experience with the McLaren. I kind of prefer front engined cars or even the older Porsche that had a rear mounted engine over the current one with it's mid mounted engine. I like the way the rear engined porsches slide, they seem to push the car forward in a power slide rather than oversteer.

The understeer on exit can probably be reduced, I'm not really good enough at setups to do that yet, so I have to deal with the understeer as it happens. I really dislike understeer on exit because I'm assuming pushing the front of the car around like that is slowing everything down, so to me it's worth some lost time in the corner if I get a good exit out of it..

I wouldn't like to have a setup that leans too far towards oversteer, especially in the mid engined GT3 cars, they tend to snap violently, at least that was my experience with the McLaren. I kind of prefer front engined cars or even the older Porsche that had a rear mounted engine over the current one with it's mid mounted engine. I like the way the rear engined porsches slide, they seem to push the car forward in a power slide rather than oversteer.
Understeer on exit can be fixed reducing the front ARB, front spring, increasing the front wing, reducing the rear wing, increasing the rear spring and if i'm not wrong increasing the rear ARB. Speaking of the Mclaren, it has very stiff rear springs, which makes it extremely oversteery. Reducing that from 160 to 135 or so will definitely help and in fast turns never leave the throttle.

It's too simplified. Understeer in corner entry means you are to fast for that corner, understeer in corner exit depends on the car and its setup. A porsche will always understeer because the engine is on the rear. The audi gt3 for example understeer a lot with the default setup but it can be fixable. Generally speaking, an oversteery car is faster because it can be more aggressive on turns. If you watch F1, you often hear (especially last year) ferrari drivers complaining about undesteer.

You are right about a understeer car. But, on a very oversteering car like Mclaren 570s road car, if you enter a corner too fast, you oversteer and not understeer.

On F1 cars the downforce is a key factor. If the front downforce is less than the rear (and this depend of the speed of the corner), the front will botleneck the rear and you will be slower because with more angle on rear wings you have less speed on exit of corners, when the car is not anymore on the limit and the higher angle on rear wings will produce too much drag without bein necessary to do the end session of the corners, just limiting the speed of the car.

This overall depends a lot, some regulations of F1 cars had both front and rear tyres with very similar sizes, and now the tyres are more similar like before the 1993 change regulations with rear tyres very large. And probably this is the reason why they all complain about understeer. If you change the car to make more oversteering, you will remove the advantages of the large rear tyres. They complain most of the time for the balance, not exaclty for the speed. The newer cars are not like the 90' and 2000' that a Schumacher style driving with a rear loose end is faster overall.

You are right about a understeer car. But, on a very oversteering car like Mclaren 570s road car, if you enter a corner too fast, you oversteer and not understeer.

On F1 cars the downforce is a key factor. If the front downforce is less than the rear (and this depend of the speed of the corner), the front will botleneck the rear and you will be slower because with more angle on rear wings you have less speed on exit of corners, when the car is not anymore on the limit and the higher angle on rear wings will produce too much drag without bein necessary to do the end session of the corners, just limiting the speed of the car.

This overall depends a lot, some regulations of F1 cars had both front and rear tyres with very similar sizes, and now the tyres are more similar like before the 1993 change regulations with rear tyres very large. And probably this is the reason why they all complain about understeer. If you change the car to make more oversteering, you will remove the advantages of the large rear tyres. They complain most of the time for the balance, not exaclty for the speed. The newer cars are not like the 90' and 2000' that a Schumacher style driving with a rear loose end is faster overall.
Obviously i was considering the audi tt. F1 and road cars are a completely different thing. At the beginning of my comment i said "understeer in corner exit depends on the car and its setup".

Lots of stuff has been keeping me from racing the last two weeks. :(
So i was forced to take a break from AC. but this morning i could squeeze in a few laps with the Good oll Porsche rsr on the Nurgburg-GT track.
And behold, With the def setup. "tires and gear" i have beaten my old personal best, the one with the downloaded setup. the lap itself was not the best but a 1:57.115 is good enough for me. after watching the replay i could find a few rotten eggs, so there is even more to shave off. Yay
Tnx again guys. Have a good one:thumbsup:

Reactions: BhZ

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back