An embarassed Newb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all - While scouring the forums for info on installing vehicle mods I came across some really good info provided by Nigel Atkins.

Unfortunately, even good info like that couldn't help this sorry racer.

The track mods are so easy to install that I think I fooled myself into thinking I could use virtually the same process.

I downloaded the American Muscle mod (AmmV3), figured out how to extract the .tgz into a temp folder, then went on to copy the contents of the 'Sound', 'Talent', and 'Vehicle' subfolders into my corresoponding rFactor sub-directories.

When I fire up the game none of the American Muscle cars appear at all. The original cars are all still fine.

Since I missed something, I really don't want to try installing more car mods until I work this out.

The Race Department forums seem to be the friendliest and most helpful, so I'm posting here in the hopes that someone might point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. I've had no luck at all scouring through forums looking for explicit instructions.:fingers-crossed:

Hi,

When u extract the files, check if the folder/s correspond to the ones in rFactor main DIR. eg (Gamedata, UIdata mostly). If you see that all you need to do is copy those folders and paste them in rFactor directory. Make sure to click on yes for the option to replace files or something like that. The files will be copied to their right folders in rFactor without you having to go to each folder separately.

Now depending on the Mod you are installing I find that sometimes in order to see that Mod you have to choose the All Vehicles option to see that Mod. Hope this helps.

Keep us posted m8.

The most mods i extract first to my desktop. Then open the folder looking for a folder called "rFactor" or "Gamedata" and copy that. Then browse to the rfactor folder and dump it there.

Hope that helps :good:

And by the way dont be embarrased, cause rF can be a real pain sometimes :D

I knew I'd posted to the right place.:)

Right now I'm downloading the US Pits version of the American Muscle TGZ to look for the missing folder. The other verson I downloaded came as AmmV3\rFactor\GameData. Then GameData contained the 3 folders I listed above. So I figure either the TGZ file was missing the rFm folder that Nigel pointed out, or maybe I was supposed to download both versions and put them together.

But I'm still a little confused. Should I copy the GameData folder itself into my rFactor root directory (thereby overwriting the original) or copy the contents of the Sounds-Talent-Vehicles-rFm folders into the corresponding rFactor folders (thereby adding to the contents of the originals)?

I'm almost there guys. Thanks again for your patience and help. I really dig this game and I'm pumped about taking advantage of all the great mods.

:fingers-crossed:

**UPDATE** - I finished downloading and extracting the new TGZ but still no rFm folder. I think I'm gonna wipe out what I've downloaded so far and take another crack at it.

not sure where your dl from, but i searched for "AmmV3" at rfcentral and dl and it had the RFM folder along side the gamedata folder http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=American%20Muscle

I must be messing up the dl - I'm getting it from the exact same place. Tried both dl links but didn't get the rFm folder from either one. I think I'd better invest in the Internet Download Manager.

Thanks for trying it out for me. I bet you just nailed down why I'm having so much trouble!

**UPDATE** - You NAILED IT Nige! I dl'd IDM, pulled a new dl from rfcentral, hit the .tgz file with 7-zip, and there it was! My brand new rFm folder.

IDM also eliminated the odd broken file I was getting on other downloads.

I'd have never figured this out without you all pitching in to tell me what should be happening. I'll update again tonight or tomorrow after I re-install to let you know how it goes.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

You guys are officially the KINGS.

The mod works great!! I just got done toolin around Mid-Ohio in my fresh Penske Camaro!

I do have one more question - do I need to make multiple installs of rFactor to run the different car mods? I noticed that all the default cars are gone now. Or maybe I just messed something up.

Thanks again!!:woop:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years