An answer for some who have lost their jobs due to COVID.

My daughter is a young professional who's industry is being heavily impacted by the COVID virus and its associated shut-downs. She lives and works in San Diego, but came to see me Sunday when we moved. She is in the events industry and Sunday she was expressing fears for her job.
Today she sent me a text with a plan: Her associates and herself, who find themselves with a lot of time but no purpose, have decided to band together to help seniors in San Diego during this crisis. They have started a non-profit to buy and deliver necessities to seniors so they do not have to do it themselves. None of them are rich, nor do they have rich backers so they started a Go Fund Me Page:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-sd-stay-home

I am not asking anyone to donate, I am merely providing the link for anyone who would wish to donate. I think this is a terrific idea thought of by people who's own lives (jobs) are impacted, but instead of whining about it they chose to do something positive. That my own daughter is part of it makes me proud.

Mods: If this is inappropriate please feel free to take it down.

My daughter is a young professional who's industry is being heavily impacted by the COVID virus and its associated shut-downs. She lives and works in San Diego, but came to see me Sunday when we moved. She is in the events industry and Sunday she was expressing fears for her job.
Today she sent me a text with a plan: Her associates and herself, who find themselves with a lot of time but no purpose, have decided to band together to help seniors in San Diego during this crisis. They have started a non-profit to buy and deliver necessities to seniors so they do not have to do it themselves. None of them are rich, nor do they have rich backers so they started a Go Fund Me Page:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-sd-stay-home

I am not asking anyone to donate, I am merely providing the link for anyone who would wish to donate. I think this is a terrific idea thought of by people who's own lives (jobs) are impacted, but instead of whining about it they chose to do something positive. That my own daughter is part of it makes me proud.

Mods: If this is inappropriate please feel free to take it down.

Not entirely sure what to think about this. I mean, yes, it's good to take crisis as opportunities, and yes, it's nice to help senior citizens, but it's just unnaceptable that your daughter lost her job due to the circumstances. If anything, I hope that the current situation will help with pushing the remote work paradigm forward, so that people can still make sure they'll have an income despite any kind of social disturbances, that apparently we will be having to expect for quite a few months to come, looking as how things are developing. I was just reading with a little of nostalgia, an article about the things to do in NY.

No more movies on the beach in Coney Island
No more comedy on the East River at Solar 1
No more concerts in Prospect Park Bandshell or the Summer Stage of Central Park
No more theater in Marcus Garvey Park in Harlem

And what about all these jobs? What happens with this people? What about the food industry? This thing with the coronavirus is easily one of the worst situations that we've had to live in the past few decades from the 2000s.

Anyway, kudos for your daughter. And take care

I work in an industry that could easily be taken remotely. Most of my work is on a computer and my correspondence with colleagues and clients is about 80% online. I can communicate easily by email or phone, share documents like PDFs, etc. However, my company was forced to close its main office. On top of that, management decided to reduce to 50% staff, which meant that I was effectively laid off. I am subject to recall as soon as businesses are allowed to reopen, but I am seriously considering not going back. If this is how I was treated, when the means were available for other employees to work from home, it lets me know how they value me as an employee. It appears the job market is still pretty strong despite the setbacks. Everyone understands it will just take more time for a new employee to get started, and I'm okay with that for now.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back