AMS2. FFB Profile Choice.

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 197115

• Deleted member 197115

Which FFB profile do you use?
If different from Default, please specify (if possible) the reason you prefer the Custom one and what in your opinion is missing/wrong in Reiza's implementation.

Thanks

I dont aim to be critical of AMS2. I really like the where the game is now. But I do enjoy come up with ideas and sort of throwing them at the wall and see what sticks. Obviously, I have no idea what goes into programming a game but anyways. Wouldn't it be nice if they had lots and lots of slots for force feed back files and you set up custom FFB for each of the cars you want to. And have an easy way of selecting those files from with in the menu or even while on track.

I've tried numerous custom files with my Logitech G25, but currently I use the Default+ profile with 72/20/30/10 as recommended to me by Reiza's CrimsonEminence (he has a Fanatec now but used a G27 before that in AMS2). I find his settings to be very consistent across vehicles with the latest drivetrain & tyre updates--I can just fire up AMS2 and drive. I also find this combination yields a quiet and smooth operating G25, at least as far as Logitechs go.

Last edited:
I dont aim to be critical of AMS2. I really like the where the game is now. But I do enjoy come up with ideas and sort of throwing them at the wall and see what sticks. Obviously, I have no idea what goes into programming a game but anyways. Wouldn't it be nice if they had lots and lots of slots for force feed back files and you set up custom FFB for each of the cars you want to. And have an easy way of selecting those files from with in the menu or even while on track.
I recall reading something to the effect that Reiza attempted to add additional FFB profiles, but were ultimately limited by the design of the Madness engine, uncontrollable memory leaks, and the like.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

And the winner is . . . stock bare bone Custom profile.
It doesn't have any of the silly road buzzing or overdampened sluggish feeling, very alive, detailed and responsive. Delete whatever ffb_custom_settings.txt you have in Documents\Automobilista 2, start the game and choose Custom FFB profile settings, that should create new bare bone profile. You probably want a bit damper in your driver setting especially with DD wheel.
What Reiza says about it

• CUSTOM as shipped with the game is just barebones steering torque acting around steering (kingpin) axis. No road vibration feedback, no damping, no friction - this profile however is editable by a user via the ffb_custom_settings.txt file located in Documents/AMS2/. Please note this is NOT customizing any of the Default profiles above, but rather allowing users to write their own FFB script using LISP-like syntax.

I've played with a few the past few days and have settled with the default profile.
Me too. I was using Default+ for quite a while, but for a few weeks I've liked the Default better. It's less busy I think.

I also tried the stock custom profile like @Andrew_WOT does but honestly I do miss the dynamic dampening. Setting static dampening and friction in the wheel driver fells less good to me, just a personal preference. Other than that a very usable option IMO.

• Deleted member 197115

Yes, Default is the second best option for me as well.
Default+ is just so heavily overprocessed, it's almost impossible to read the car. The comical grip loss alone is just ridiculous.
But even with Default their dynamic damping feels to appear/disappear at some unexpected, inappropriate times, almost like a switch, with wheel getting heavy all over sudden, messing up car control.
For me personally, static damping and some friction in the driver is a more familiar option, less getting in the way effects is a plus as well.

So now we have 3 options to choose from, not to count numerous custom profiles.

Default+ is just so heavily overprocessed, it's almost impossible to read the car. The comical grip loss alone is just ridiculous.
But even with Default their dynamic damping feels to appear/disappear at some unexpected, inappropriate times, almost like a switch, with wheel getting heavy all over sudden, messing up car control.
Ya I've had similar experiences with the ffb.

Hard to explain the default+ feedback, but I agree it is over processed, it almost feels like I have 1 front tire in the middle of the car and all the effects are coming from the center and like you mentioned, the grip is very odd.

Default has been my preferred setting so far but have noticed some oddities, which may be the dynamic dampening disappearing like you mentioned.

I've been testing the P1 ginetta of late and really enjoying it for the most part.
But have noticed several times, usually in a lower speed turn, I'll feel all the loads and feedback going into the turn than it just dissapears and I'm slipping and sliding.
It usually happens on corner exit.
I'll feel the tires loading up through out the turn, than it's gone and go into a tank slapper.

The one thing I'm struggling with getting dialed in, is the level of grip detail and where it turns to slippage.
Right now, I just get an increase of heaviness than it's gone, than returns if im capable of saving the slide.
In a previous build long ago and more so in PC2, I could feel the tire sliding feedback and it was quite natural but haven't been able to dial that in since v1.4 outside of using a custom ffb file.
The only feedback for slippage and slides I get is through my simhub base shaker

I'm gonna give the default custom ago later tonight.

Does anyone have a link or video on how to edit the custom ffb file?

Last edited:
If you find a reference for the custom FFB variables, I'd be keen to know. I have looked a few times and not found anything except an old PC2 file that has a few incorrect and missing variables. I don't remember where I got it from, but I put a copy on a gist for posterity:

My general approach is to take a look at other custom files and see which variables are referenced without being assigned earlier in the file. I found the minimal file from 'heavy messing' seems a bit more palatable as it doesn't make things too complicated:

good luck!

Last edited:
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but it's not really about fidelity.

I absolutely love the high-fidelity tire feel that AMS2 can provide on the right car. On soft slicks, you get an almost "driving on gummy bears" feel. :)

My problem is that, on my wheel (SC-2 Sport), crashes can be incredibly (dangerously!) violent, whereas the normal driving feedback is very, very soft by comparison. So, to get decently strong feedback during normal driving, you are unnecessarily risking your thumbs or wrist during crashes and recovery.

This is exacerbated by the fact, I think, that AMS2 seems to often lose track of the wheel position after a crash. When you try to reassert control to get back on the road (e.g. off a rail), it often jerks the wheel violently again despite only moving at a walking pace.

This very wide dynamic range may be accurate (crashes are indeed violent in real life), but it's just too great a difference in power. Some compression is needed, and I haven't yet figured out the right way to achieve that.
As you mentioned, crashes are incredibly violent in real life as well. Realism is what it is. Not what we "feel" it should be. IRL, they let go of the wheel. Just a thought.

As you mentioned, crashes are incredibly violent in real life as well. Realism is what it is. Not what we "feel" it should be. IRL, they let go of the wheel. Just a thought.
First thing I tell anyone riding in my Sim. I even let them practise it and show them the forces presented when this happens. Its either:
- Dont crash :)
- Let go when you hit something

I am perfectly happy with the default+ file. Have tried many custom files and found none off those better then the Default+. I do recognise the loss in feel in the P1 when you lose grip in corner, but for me thats an indication in itself. Aero losses downforce, grip is lost, you cant feel the wheels producing resistance anymore.

Last edited:
My post was from a year and a half ago, when AMS2 was in much rougher shape. I no longer feel that compression is needed or that the mix of high and low forces are unbalanced. By now a stock FFB profile is perfectly fine.

But I do still find one serious problem post-crash: The wheel position is sometimes lost (my characterization, at least). You've come to a stop after a violent crash, you move the wheel a little and WHAM, it tries to jerk all the way over to one side with full force, as if it suddenly thinks "Oh, I'm supposed to be pointing way over there!" I can't see how this is remotely realistic behavior when a car is at a stand-still or moving at a walking pace.

I don't know if this is a problem with AMS2 or SimuCube or some interaction between the two, but it's a quite nasty bug, and I can't be the only one who experiences it.

Last edited:
My post was from a year and a half ago, when AMS2 was in much rougher shape. I no longer feel that compression is needed or that the mix of high and low forces are unbalanced. By now a stock FFB profile is perfectly fine.

But I do still find one serious problem post-crash: The wheel position is sometimes lost (my characterization, at least). You've come to a stop after a violent crash, you move the wheel a little and WHAM, it tries to jerk all the way over to one side with full force, as if it suddenly thinks "Oh, I'm supposed to be pointing way over there!" I can't see how this is remotely realistic behavior when a car is at a stand-still or moving at a walking pace.

I don't know if this is a problem with AMS2 or SimuCube or some interaction between the two, but it's a quite nasty bug, and I can't be the only one who experiences it.
I own a SC pro but cant remember having this issue in last several months.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 71 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 74 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 47 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 105 13.9%