AMS2 crashing on launch??

[ISSUE HAS BEEN FIXED] I had to rename/delete the "Documents -> Automobilista 2" Folder and let the game create a new one and it booted perfectly :laugh:

[ Original Issue]
So I've posted this multiple places but no one seems to have any ideas so far. Ever since the patches following the Racing USA DLC (V1.3.1.1 ish?) my game has been crashing on launch and I cant even get on the game anymore. Every time it gets to the screen showing all the track logos right after the Reiza logo the game just closes (Not when going to a race. I cant even launch the game period.) Nothing has has changed from before for me in terms of hardware etc. I'm on a Fanatec CSL DD/all Fanatec setup on a regular Ultrawide monitor. Intel core i7-9700k and RTX 2080 Super. It is only happening on AMS2 all my other games work perfect :unsure:

I have tried:
- Verifying game files
- Restarting the computer
- Updating graphics drivers
- Steam config cache clear thing
- Uninstalling and reinstalling AMS2 multiple times
- Waited for the newest patch to see if it'd fix itself.
- Swapping what drive it was saved on.
- Starting the game on the other monitor
- Turn of anti-virus features and launch game
- Making sure it wasn't accidentally launching in Steam VR
- Compatability mods and run as admin

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas.. I'm dying to get this working again lol.

Event viewer screenshot from when it crashes:

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you are facing the same issue I had, relating to Windows creating multiple virtual displays when VR is used?

See my thread here as it might just be of help.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you are facing the same issue I had, relating to Windows creating multiple virtual displays when VR is used?

See my thread here as it might just be of help.
Im not using VR at all I actually don't even own one but someone had me make sure steam wasnt trying to launch in VR mode without having it. Could the virtual display thing still effect it even without having a headset?

Last edited:
Could the virtual display thing still effect it even without having a headset?

No, I don't think any virtual displays would be created if you aren't using a VR headset. I saw the mention of Steam VR in your post and and automatically assumed you were using VR. Sorry about that and I hope you can find a solution :)

No, I don't think any virtual displays would be created if you aren't using a VR headset. I saw the mention of Steam VR in your post and and automatically assumed you were using VR. Sorry about that and I hope you can find a solution :)
Fixed the issue!! I had to rename/delete the "Documents -> Automobilista 2" Folder and let the game create a new one and it booted perfectly. Someone suggested this and I don't know why I never tried it but I'm glad I can play now haha. Thanks for trying to help me out though!

Fixed the issue!! I had to rename/delete the "Documents -> Automobilista 2" Folder and let the game create a new one and it booted perfectly. Someone suggested this and I don't know why I never tried it but I'm glad I can play now haha. Thanks for trying to help me out though!
this doesnt work

Im not using VR at all I actually don't even own one but someone had me make sure steam wasnt trying to launch in VR mode without having it. Could the virtual display thing still effect it even without having a headset?
did you end up working around this im still stuck

If this is your prefered goto sim then you maybe should consider a complete uninstall + clean of registry of traces of AMS2 - and then install the game from scratch.
It will probably solve your problem and if I was in your situation I would probably consider it.
Consider it - yeah because its a pretty annoying process.:sleep:

I have deleted the folder and at restart it works but I have to do it everytime and map all the buttons and gameplay options over and over. I have checked the integrity of files, removed all mods and reinstalled the game twice but keeps happening.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back