AMS or RF2

Hi,

As there are, some really good offers at steam at the moment, I`m thinking about getting Automobilista or RF2.

The problem is I`m not able to get both now. For now I mostly use R3E and AC and enjoy both.

So any suggestions on which one would you choose over the other and why? :)

Didn't realize you created the same poll in both forms - opinion post in the AMS forum.
Note, this may get ugly :confused:

Why do you think this can get ugly? I created in both as I expected people to be biased towards on or another.
I`ll consider removing this one than, as there`s more happening in the other tread and I believe, I`ve got as much as I could from people and I`ll just make a decision in the evening.

It really depends on what you want. AMS official content is strong on representing formula cars and has a great selection of tracks. rF2 is more general-purpose in official content.

I tried both and refunded both (yeah I wanted to try it and that's better than pirating right?).
Rfactor was a bit complicated, strange etc. It's for sure a good sim but I got the feeling that I would need to spend some time with it to get a good experience. The handling was good but the "wow I am home" feeling didn't kicked in.
In AMS it was the complete opposite. The menus are so easy, that it was complicated for me... Well I didn't expected that simple usability... :whistling:
Graphics are better and really beautiful out of the Box. Handling was a blast. Upped the minimum force and got a firm, detailed ffb right in the first lap.
I really wanted to buy AMS but I already have AC and quite a bit of content in R3E and since I could race here everyday with them both, I needed to hold me back on AMS.

Plus, and that was the big down: I got microstutters in AMS. Tried different vsync, prerendered frames, limiters etc. Nothing helped.
I think I would've needed a hud mod, other post processing or something like that but after spending about 100 hours configurating R3E and AC I will wait till the next sale :speechless:

Why do you think this can get ugly? I created in both as I expected people to be biased towards on or another.
I`ll consider removing this one than, as there`s more happening in the other tread and I believe, I`ve got as much as I could from people and I`ll just make a decision in the evening.
My comment wasn't related to your method of creating the polls. Any time games are directly compared opinions can get nasty. So far so good...hopefully you will get the help you need to make a decision. You can't really go wrong on these two unless you're looking for something very specific.

Seriously they're both pretty inexpensive titles, just get both. Warning, opinions (not facts) incoming:

AMS pros: great range of vehicle content with consistent high quality presentation; excellent and eclectic range of lovingly crafted tracks; fantastic audio; consistent physics and enjoyable informative FFB; capable and largely believable AI; pretty well implemented race features (flags etc); impressive and responsive developers in Reiza Studios

AMS cons: the DX9 gMotor graphics engine in AMS is very old and tired, and despite superhuman efforts by Reiza in the texture and shading and post processing department the game is not quite visually up to par with current generation titles; 3D mannequin crowds look absolutely atrocious; In-cockpit microstuttering (variously attributed to time scaling, steering wheel animation, DynHUD, spotter, vsync etc etc) which should simply not have been an issue with such a "mature" graphics engine; No VR if that's important to you; No rainy weather; Various bugs, none game destroying.

rF2 pros: Outstanding physics and tyre modelling; Outstanding FFB; Outstanding AI; Outstanding track progression; Detailed flag, penalty and pitting behaviours; Very naturalistic and believable lighting (esp DX11); VR support; Full weather simulation; Responsive new developers, Studio 397, who seem committed to allowing this impressive sim to better fulfil its potential in a time period not measured in decades.

rF2 cons: Wildly inconsistent official vehicle and track presentation quality; Often sub par audio; Some very inconsistent physics and FFB across vehicles; Lacklustre wet weather graphics and handling; Lacklustre UI and HUD; Needlessly complicated and redundant content installation and management; Often unimpressive performance in DX11 particularly if post processing is turned beyond minimum.

Combined rF2 and AMS take up 90% of my sim driving time. As a not particularly hardcore SP person I can drop into AMS and be pretty much guaranteed to have a good time on most tracks with most vehicles. The same can't be said for rF2, however with certain cars on certain tracks the experience is absolutely sublime.

It seems to me both developers are well aware of the shortcomings of their respective titles and working hard to improve these areas. If you get both then you get to come along for the ride as both titles strive for greatness :)

Plus, and that was the big down: I got microstutters in AMS. Tried different vsync, prerendered frames, limiters etc. Nothing helped.
Have you got your shadows set to Medium or Low? Also be sure to turn your shadow blur to off. :)
For some reason on some systems running shadows on High can cause stuttering.

Have you got your shadows set to Medium or Low? Also be sure to turn your shadow blur to off. :)
For some reason on some systems running shadows on High can cause stuttering.
Thanks mate! It seems that it's just gone with one of the Updates in the last days or the dynhud.
I didn't do something different but got send a custom dynHud, was in a hurry and just installed it.
Everything maxed out, no stutters. I will report back if I bother to find out what it really was.

Thanks anyway for the help. If the stuttering comes back I have some solutions to try! :):thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back