AMS Modding - Tracks (Work in progress)

@Gringo if you ever get round to updating Snetterton then the Sausage curb on the last corner needs some looking at.

If you take too much curb then it does strange things to the car like the model is much bigger than it appears in game or something. Sorry for the poor explanation.

@Gringo if you ever get round to updating Snetterton then the Sausage curb on the last corner needs some looking at.

If you take too much curb then it does strange things to the car like the model is much bigger than it appears in game or something. Sorry for the poor explanation.
My car got flipped by an invisible hole here, it's only happened twice, I don't know where it is exactly, but it's by the very last corner leaving the chicane.

all layouts of this tracks ?

The base track is quite good and Patrick did a lot of work to bring it to AMS. That said it has some accuracy issues.

The model is not very accurate for the extra loop to make the Brabham / Amaroo circuits.
I am considering to open the Druitt Circuit but I have never seen it used for any race events.

My goal is to improve the physics on EC and correct some of the larger inaccuracies in the track that can be fixed without to much remodeling. New 3d curbs with more or less the correct positions and lengths, add any missing runoff, and reshape the existing runoff to match the real track a bit closer.

I corrected 99% of the z fighting problems in the garage/grandstand/control buildings, and redid the AO. The garage has new interior walls and Reiza garage details added.

Physics wise it should be a noticeable improvement over the last version, and make for a bit more forgiving racing experience.

Cheers

Last edited:
In the .TDF file, if I change the following lines, will it affect the progression and grip levels ?
Can I read this as it will take 25 laps for 20 cars to build the maximum grip?

// Roads
[FEEDBACK]
Dry=RoadDryGrip // (RoadDryGrip=1.00)
to
// Roads
[FEEDBACK]
Dry=0.9600 DryStep=0.00008 DryMax=1.00

Can I read this as it will take 25 laps for 20 cars to build the maximum grip?

Yes that's how I read it... I am not 100% sure that is the only variable in the calculation. Perhaps current tire wear levels or the vehicle weight, or the temperature have an effect. I play with the number of steps until I get the result that I want.

Cheers

Yes that's how I read it... I am not 100% sure that is the only variable in the calculation. Perhaps current tire wear levels or the vehicle weight, or the temperature have an effect. I play with the number of steps until I get the result that I want.

Cheers

Is modifying that line all that is needed to make a track dynamic in terms of rubbering in?
Or do you have to texture areas with marbles etc when building the track?

Thank you Gringo. I have one more question, is it possible to change track temperature? just as it is possible to adjust the day and night temperature. And btw, what does "TimeOffsetMinutes" do ?

Almost complete.

Lots of work done.

Details like missing sand traps and runoff added. Improved accuracy for new 3d curbs, cement walls, tire bundles, fences, roadlines. Updated textures, shaders, AO, skybox.

Add the Druitt layout with scratch made connector road that is a bit closer to the real thing.

Win32Viewer_2018_09_28_22_46_52_640.jpg
Win32Viewer_2018_09_28_22_48_13_732.jpg
Win32Viewer_2018_09_28_22_48_56_884.jpg
Win32Viewer_2018_09_28_22_49_49_099.jpg
Win32Viewer_2018_09_28_22_50_40_622.jpg
Win32Viewer_2018_09_28_22_51_18_609.jpg
Win32Viewer_2018_09_28_22_51_57_893.jpg

Last edited:
I have one more question, is it possible to change track temperature? just as it is possible to adjust the day and night temperature. And btw, what does "TimeOffsetMinutes" do ?

Sorry I missed your question.

I assume that the track temperature is derived from the day/night temperatures... but how it works exactly I don't know. The TimeOffestMinutes" factor is a mystery to me.

Cheers

Hi guys,

I'm keen to build my first track real world track for Automobilista, and made a fairly inaccurate prototype version in BTB that I successfully got into game. Alas, as it's a street circuit with a piazza/roundabout, complicated escape roads and various strange track widths I'm at a bit of a sticking point. I was going to hire a laser scanner, but there was no company nearby willing to hire one out. I instead searched for other accurate data sources.

I have put in many hours work and am at the stage where I have a photogrammetry produced 3d model of the track, reverse-engineered from Google Eath's excellent new 3d scenery. I also have a uniform density aerial point cloud which I'm hoping to use to calibrate the elevation so it's as accurate as can be.

2unwmev.jpg

2ldxag8.jpg

The question is, how do I get from my 3d model to a working track in rFactor/AMS?

I would love to be able to click on the different polies in my model, detach them to a separate object, road, wall etc. But then even if I create separate road, pavement and wall meshes using a method like this (if it's possible in Blender, Max) I can't then import it into BTB, can I?
3DS max seems like a huge and costly learning curve, and I already have 3DSimed, BTB and RTB.

How would you guys proceed with the project? With 3d simed can I turn it into a driveable track?
Thanks for any advice! :)

Last edited:
Would the above be workable in 3ds max?

Hi Salvatore,

I did see your post.

At my level I cannot give any advice on how you could best move forward with your project.

After hundreds (thousands) of hours I am just now working to loft track sections on existing tracks in 3ds MAX. Rebuilding existing mesh to improve accuracy for missing details. I have no idea how to take real world data and create a terrain for example.

All my work is slow, and I think brute force. I have found many tricks and scripts that make tasks quicker... but really I am just a simple mad modder.

I have been tweaking gmotor sims since 2001 and I marvel at the assets the true creators have delivered.

Have you found Mário Morais ? I have only used some of his free 3dsMAX scripts... but he does offer some advanced tools for track creation. Maybe you could contact him for advice on your project.

Best wishes,

Gringo

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 264 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 175 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 173 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.5%