AMS Modding - Cars (Work in progress)

@Sven Hielscher
Holy moly... those are many points to review.
I believe you. I will take the job to review them all.
Thanks for the help!
Instead of doing that you could simply make one GMT out of all wheel, tire, disc, and caliper GMT. In 3DSimEd you can open all models at once and click Edit > Explode all. Then you just need to set the center point to 0,0,0 and save this as a new GMT. Now in you spinner GEN you can remove all wheel instances and add your new GMT to another instance (or a new). This way you don't need to mess with the GMT that are used in game :) Hope that makes sense. If not, feel free to ask!

@Sven Hielscher
Hehe, very good trick. I will go that way.
Thanks a lot

PS: One question ... Once exploded the rest of the car (without wheels)
How or where do I set the pivot point in faces and points?

PS2: Sorry, I had understood it the other way around.
What I have to keep separately are the 4 wheels and their etc.
My lack of English language complicates the conversation
I also still do not know how to set the pivot point in faces and points without choosing a point.

Last edited:
@Sven Hielscher
You sir... are the best.

wisum.jpg

Last edited:
Okay. It was good to know that there was the problem, but ...
The solution of joining the 4 wheels in a single gmt does not help me.
Because I want to make that in the showroom you can choose between 5 different types of rims and I have to have them separated so that it works in-game.
The problem is that doing what I did with the 4 tires together does not work doing it separately in each of them.
I hate not being able to express myself with the language, I think that nothing was understood.
I will continue testing ...
If you have a solution @Sven Hielscher ... pleaaaassseeeee !! :redface:

Well, I did the following:
I opened all the .gmt files in 3DsimED (Import as objets)
Edit / Objets Centers / Center Objets Pivots
One by one I was doing:
Insolate objet
(To the Insolated object)
Edit / Center Model / Set Pivot Point
And I put everything to zero ... to each object. and then "Save model data"

Nothing ... Everything remains the same in showroom.

:ninja:

Well, I did the following:
I opened all the .gmt files in 3DsimED (Import as objets)
Edit / Objets Centers / Center Objets Pivots
One by one I was doing:
Insolate objet
(To the Insolated object)
Edit / Center Model / Set Pivot Point
And I put everything to zero ... to each object. and then "Save model data"

Nothing ... Everything remains the same in showroom.

:ninja:

Unfortunately 3DSimED is a bit special in that topic. You have to open each and every GMT one by one and set the pivot point:
1. Import your GMT as model (yes, model, not object!)

2. Center Model > Set Pivot Point

3. Set all to 0,0,0 and click OK

Now that model has the required setup and you can save it again.

If you want to do a mass edit of several objects, I think the best way would be to export all models to a proper 3D software, like Blender. But that way you will need to set up all materials again.

But if you still just want to set up different wheels/rims, I would suggest to keep them in a single object for the spinner and just have separated for in game. Don't be afraid to be unprofessional with that, because that is how all cars in GTR2 were set up. :)

Hopefully that helps ;)

Wow man... Tx for the tuto.
smileyvault-worthy.gif~c100
@Sven Hielscher

I'll do it when I'm in front of my PC. Thank you.
It's not that it bothers me that it shows how unprofessional I am.
The problem is that I do not know how to configure the file "upgrades" having different .gmt

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it so much.

Well, it did not work.
I did those steps with all the .gmt but nothing changed.

I could notice that changing the value on the Z axis of the pivot point
The wheel moves but the distance to the floor is always the same.
The odd thing is that giving a negative value the wheel moves up and giving a positive value moves down in the showroom, to the otherwise that in 3DsimED.
I also see that in the showroom the front wheels with respect to the chassis have different height than the rear, when in 3DsimED they are all at the same height.

Actually the engine does not respect every pivot point one by one, but the last (or first?) from each instance. That means, if your wheel instance has different objects inside, their pivot points have to be in the same position.
So let's say you have changed the rim and tire pivot points, but also the brakedisc is an object in the wheel instance (last position in the instance maybe) and you have not changed its pivot point. The engine will use that pivot point instead of the others.
Additionally the pivot points influence how the wheel will turn ingame. If the pivot is not in the right position (i.e. in the turning axle) the wheel may wobble or turn around the whole car. Therefore having a single object for the complete wheels for the spinner is the best option because it does not interfere with the in game objects.

Using upgrades is very simple, and I think you should just copy files from a other mod to start from. Some basic steps:
  • In your VEH file make sure to reference the upgrades ini file that you want to use (give that file a name that suits your mod), maybe take one upgrades.ini from the drift cars (they have a lot entries you can learn from and they also include upgrades for the wheels).
  • Modify your upgrades.ini so that your upgrades are included.
  • The instances assigned in upgrades.ini need tags, so that the upgrade models are loaded if you select one update. Please note that you have to set unique tags for every model you want to change. So if your object has several LODs you want to replace each of them and have to assign appropriate tags (e.g. <WHEELSETA>, <WHEELSETB>, <WHEELSETC>... ). These tags have to be placed in front of the respective line in a GEN file.
  • Make sure the tags you use in the GEN are the same like in the upgrades.ini.
Hope that helps ;)

Ok, first of all I want to thank you once again for taking the time to explain things in detail ... thank you very much.
I think I have understood your explanation and it helps me to understand those details (Beyond solving it in another way, such as creating new gmt for the spinner)
Actually I have a gmt with 3 elements (Wheel, exterior rim and brake disc) making the "upgrade" only change the center rim.

tyre_xx.gmt
01.jpg

rim_center GMTs
02.jpg

Both in the .gen file and in the spinner.gen I have the following lines.

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instance=RFTIRE<UPNUMBER>
{
Moveable=True
MeshFile=tyre_rf.gmt CollTarget=False...etc
MeshFile=<RFTIRES_A> CollTarget=False...etc
}
//-------------------------------------------------------------------

And in the "upgrades" file:

UpgradeType="Rims"
{
Instance="LFTIRE"
Instance="RFTIRE"
Instance="LRTIRE"
Instance="RRTIRE"

UpgradeLevel="Rim 00"
{
Description="xxx"

GEN=<LFTIRES_A>=rim_center_00_lf.gmt
GEN=<RFTIRES_A>=rim_center_00_rf.gmt
GEN=<LRTIRES_A>=rim_center_00_lr.gmt
GEN=<RRTIRES_A>=rim_center_00_rr.gmt
}
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how I saw it in a mod and it was the way I used it. (It works well)
That's where it gets complicated because I do not know how to assign a "gmt" (all wheels together) to see it in the showroom and ingame use the ones I'm using now.

Obviously it is demonstrated that it is the 1st mod that I try to insert from a 3DsimED model.
I always liked modify mods, but I had never tried to create gen files.Or immerse myself in 3DsimED in detail. This time I tried, looking at other mods and it worked ... but complications always appear. Hahaha.

Thank you very much @Sven Hielscher for your help. I will continue trying to apply what I am learning.

I give up. I can not make the "upgrade" choose the separate wheels while showing me on the spinner all together.
I will try some more things to make it fit the ones I already have or it will be floating in the showroom. This is no longer entertaining. LOL.
There will be time to learn, the problem is not so serious ... I will leave the whim aside.

I have two hopefully simple questions related to modded cars:

1) Why do some mods cause out-of-kilter virtual mirrors? Even when the in-cockpit mirror is good, the AMS virtual mirror can be distorted--usually by too much magnification. Where is the adjustment or setting for this in the car's files?

2) Modded cars often have not been calibrated for use as AI. Where are the settings to adjust for this? I am willing to calibrate some in accordance with Reiza's philosophy (all their cars behave appropriately and relatively to each other at a consistent user skill level).

Thanks in advance for tips.

Formula Truck 2005

Attachments

• 0ford1.jpg
    0ford1.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 529
  • 0ford2.jpg
    0ford2.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 512
  • 0iveco.jpg
    0iveco.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 536
  • 0mercedes1.jpg
    0mercedes1.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 490
  • 0mercedes2.jpg
    0mercedes2.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 485
  • 0scania1.jpg
    0scania1.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 472
  • 0scania2.jpg
    0scania2.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 498
  • 0scania3.jpg
    0scania3.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 515
  • 0volks1.jpg
    0volks1.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 490
  • 0volvo1.jpg
    0volvo1.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 496
2) Modded cars often have not been calibrated for use as AI. Where are the settings to adjust for this? I am willing to calibrate some in accordance with Reiza's philosophy (all their cars behave appropriately and relatively to each other at a consistent user skill level).

Thanks in advance for tips.

If I remember the new AI stuff is added to both the .hdv and the .srs. The talent files might have an effect too.

Hi all... again. I have a little problem with 3DsimED.
Having to set the DirectX Shader for the headlights
I have seen that "Light Flare - Headlights" is used.
But without putting any texture in the "Channel 1 / Diffuse Map T2" tab.

My problem is that I can not set that tab empty...
I save the .gmt file without assigning it that texture, but when trying to run the mod in AMS it crashes.
When I reopen the saved file, the main texture has been assigned to the Diffuse Map T2 tab.

T2.jpg

Does anyone know how to make this tab without texture?

As always, thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.

Formula Truck 2004
Same project with 2005 Season

Attachments

• ford 1.jpg
    ford 1.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 460
  • ford 2.jpg
    ford 2.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 466
  • iveco 1.jpg
    iveco 1.jpg
    568.4 KB · Views: 486