AMS and overclocking

I just wondered whether people attempt to overclock much with AMS I've got a decent rig, nothing too spectacular, but am really struggling to get any decent performance, graphically, out of AMS. Also of late, I'm getting more and more CTD just randomly. This evening I tried some recommended overclock settings for my card, GTX980 NVIDIA, and it went to the track loading screen then just crashed to an empty black, where upon I had to turn off my computer completely.

I just wondered how successful others were?

That GTX980 should run AMS like a champ. It runs triples on my system without breaking a sweat. Do you have Nvidia Inspector installed? Something may be off with the driver settings. Check out the Nvidia settings starting on Page 19 of Automobilisdta Manual PDF. If you go into your Steam library, right click on Automobilista, select "Show Manual." I use those settings the game runs nicely.

Oh, like I'm a total newbie to overclocking...I have no idea about it. I take it I just said something monumentally dumb then?!

To be honest with you, I've sort of added and added with my system, so it's a bit of a weird Frankenstein setup, I might go back to the shop I got all the changes and upgrades and see if there is a bottleneck somewhere.

However I will say... As much as I LOVE ams, I have zero problems running anything else on my computer. So maybe the actual engine is a bit long in the tooth, as we know it is really...

Roll on Reiza 18/19!!

Can you give us your full PC specs? :)

CPU:
GPU: gtx 980
RAM:
Windows:
Monitor(s):
Resolution(s):
Vsync on/off or fps counter/lock:

Anyway just download openhardwaremonitor, open it, select gpu load and core clock to be drawed in the graph, run AMS for a few minutes and then see for 2 things:
Is your 980 even in 3d clock? My 1070 at default settings thought it would be a nice idea to run AMS with 500 MHz instead of 2000 MHz...
And second thing: what's the gpu load at the same time? I had 80% load which is pretty high but then it only ran @500 MHz. Now I have 15% @1500 MHz and it's butter smooth :)

You don't need to go to your shop. Just give us more information!

Hope this helps??

Im running 4K resolution,
Vsync off,
FPS locked to 73

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 158
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 207
  • screenshot3.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 195
I'm confused. Are you using a second account now or are we talking to two guys with a 980 now?
Anyway without seeing the clock and gpu load in the graph we can't see if your graphics card is just at full load during driving or not.
My guess into the dark:
The CPU has some cores at very high usage as maximum in the graph. You could experience fps drops on these moments which might be a CPU bottleneck. Or a different problem.

My second guess is that you activated supersampling/sparse grid supersampling for AMS which is kinda the same load as 4k.
It multiplies with the resolution which means your 980 is handling 16k internally and that won't work.

Without the graphs we can't see the real reason though. What happens when you run 1080p? Is the gpu load that high too?

I've just run AMS again, the GPU core isnt going over 625-630, how do i increase that? Is THAT by overclocking?? :)
A-ha!
Nope, that's caused by the power management setting of the nvidia driver.
Go into your nvidia settings, navigate to the automobilista profile and change "adaptive" or "optimum performance" or whatever it's called for you to "prefer maximum performance".
Your 980 isn't running in gaming mode/clock so it will stutter.
Nvidia thinks it won't but I just don't get what they smoked to integrate these profiles for games...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back