AMS 2 | Release Day: Lots And Lots Of Goodies Confirmed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios are gearing up to release their Automobilista 2 simulation today, and ahead of hitting V1, have revealed some of the exciting new things coming as part of leaving Early Access.
  • Release day June 30th
  • New content: 1979 Stock Cars
  • New content: Copa Montana and Brazilian tracks

The day we have been waiting for is here folks (in a matter of hours, considering I'm writing this at 2am), and to celebrate Automobilista 2 moving out of Steam Early Access, Reiza Studios are treating us to an early roadmap post - letting us in on some of the exciting new content dropping as part of V1 release day.

Greetings everyone! Slightly early development update this month to bring you all some exciting news!

In last month´s development update we estimated AMS2 to come out of Early Access some time in mid June - as it turned out we ended up stretching that a bit further, but we can finally confirm Automobilista 2 will be officially released at some point tomorrow, June 30th!

Since the last Early Access update we have continued to push hard these last couple of weeks to ensure v1.0 is a big jump from the latest v0.9.7.0, and that I think we have achieved - v1.0 packs a ton of new content, several key developments in all areas of the game, as well as the new championship mode (albeit limited for this first release).

We are happy to say we have also fulfilled the majority of the goals we had set out to achieve during Early Access, and the little bits that are still due should not take much longer. The official release of course does not mean the game is done - as we keep stressing AMS2 is a long-term project which will continue to see major game updates covering every front of development and bundles of new cars and tracks (free and paid) being released in a monthly basis all the way to the end of the year and beyond - the V1 milestone is all but the end of the beginning, a solid baseline upon which we will continue to build on for a long time.

As I write this we are still working around the clock to get this release ready tomorrow so let´s go straight to what you should know about what is coming tomorrow:

Lots of New Content

AMS 2 Ginetta.jpg

Those coming from v0.9.7.0 will find plenty of new content to enjoy in v1.0: of the cars and tracks previously released in Automobilista 1, we have added the original Stock Car season from 1979 complete with historical liveries; the reformed Granja Viana kart track with its latest configurations; revived the much missed Autodromo Nelson Piquet in Brasilia and Copa Montana series, rounding up our AMS1 upgrades for AMS2 release. More oldies will be added later on this year so don´t lose faith you´re see one of your old favorites back!

AMS 2 Karting.jpg

• New Portuguese historic track
  • Ginetta G55 GT4
  • Historic F1 Cars: Lotus 72E, Brabham BT44, McLaren M23

The highlights however are in the brand new stuff: there´s a classic portuguese track, our first two of several recently licensed Ginettas (G55 GT4 Supercup & G58 that competes in P1 class of Brazilian Endurance), the revamped F-Retro series in its first generation, featuring no less than 3 classic Grand Prix cars - the Lotus 72E, the Brabham BT44 and Mclaren M23 - tossing these cars sideways around one of our growing roster of historical tracks which already includes 1970s versions of Interlagos, Imola, Kyalami, Spielberg, with Hockenheimring and Silverstone soon to join that list in full variable weather glory is bound to be one of the most enjoyable experiences you will have with Automobilista 2!

AMS 2 McLaren.jpg

For fans of such historical cars and tracks, keep in mind there is a lot more where these came from to join Automobilista 2 in the coming months
:)

AMS 2 Lotus.jpg

Pricing Update

Those of you who have been keeping track of our Early Access plans will be aware that the game has had a built-in discount during this EA period - 40% to begin with, 20% currently with release supposed to bring us to the eventual full price of US$ 49.99 / €44.99

With release time coinciding with the Steam Summer sale however we have elected to keep the current pricing for a few more weeks. Not only that - with Hockenheimring scheduled to be our first DLC soon after v1 release, everyone who bought the Game in Early Access or comes to buy it before the end of the Steam Summer Sale will receive the Hockenheimring DLC (which includes 1977, 1988 and 2001 historical versions) for free!

After the sale Hockenheimring will be sold independently and as part of the AMS2 2020-2021 Season Pass.

Introducing the New Generation of Stock Car Brasil

The Stock Car Brasil series has a special meaning for Reiza, as it was the subject of our very first sim back in 2011 it has since continued to be a regular fixture in our titles, and one with which we enjoy a close relationship with.

Automobilista 2 pays tribute to this long term relationship by including several Historical seasons (the very first one from 1979, the classic 1986 and soon also the 1999 season, the last using Chevrolet Omegas, alongside the well-known last gen cars from the 2019 season.

We now take a step with the series into the future as AMS2 release will have the honor of introducing the new 2020 generation of Stock Car Brasil - now featuring two manufacturers with the Toyota Corolla joining the Chevrolet Cruze.

AMS 2 Stockcar Brazil.jpg

This new generation of Stock Cars have been redesigned to bring the cars closer to its roots - although still based on the same chassis of the JL09 that fielded the series in the last decade, these have been reprofiled to become a little more Stock, a little less prototype, featuring several elements of their production counterparts and a lot less aero components relative to the cars of 2019.

The series is scheduled to kick off with its first race this weekend, but before that drivers will be entering the virtual track to compete on the first round of the official E-Sports series this Wednesday July 1st!

We do have one last thing to hopefully make Automobilista 2 v1.0 a truly enjoyable ride for all sim racers. You will not have to wait long to find out what it is!

See you all on track tomorrow... (today)

Original Source: Reiza Studios

Automobilista 2 is available June 30th.

Want advice on getting the best from AMS2? Start a thread in the Automobilista 2 sub forum and ask our community!

AMS 2 Stockcar Brazil footer.jpg

Last edited:
Its nothing like pcars
There are similarities. But the FFB system (it's basically the AMS1 system), physics polish and AI development is going way further and already received more love.^^ Many positives, i find in pCars2 remain in AMS2, but the cars feel different indeed. (The Caterhams in AMS2 are just....brutally awesome IMO) Also some negatives can show up, but they did a great job, rectifying it big time.
The tracks which feature in both titles for example are a literal copy/paste job surely?
Oh no...not at all. The tracks are completely made by Reiza. Just compare Donington and Oulton to the pCars2 version. Just look at the white lines on the tarmac side. You see the difference there already. :D Many tracks are also overhauled versions, already known from AMS1. (They are graphically updated, so no worries)
Their tracks don't suffer from many weird design decisions, like the pCars versions.
You're sure, you played AMS2 and pCars2 already? The differences should show up immediately.

Last edited:
Funny how i cannot stand pcars 1 and 2 but love AMS2,, yeah they must be the same thing :rolleyes:
I adore pCars1/2, even with all their flaws, but i still find AMS2 to be the more "thought out well" project. It could be also the developer.

I mean... They fixed the sticky wall bug, something, the Madness Engine always was suffering from.
They integrated a working Turbo Model in the old rF1 engine foundation without the need to hardcode it into engine curves...
Such things are very likely not easy to realize...

Same graphics which are superb actually.

How have you come to the conclusion they are the same physics?

Funny how i cannot stand pcars 1 and 2 but love AMS2,, yeah they must be the same thing :rolleyes:
I absolutely agree.
PC 1 & 2 disappointed me hugely but the physics and ffb in AMS2 are are infinitely superior.
VR implementation is superb. I was a tad reticent at first to buy into this title but I'm seriously glad I did.

As I say I am definitely the minority here and I did try an early (ish) build.

Simply pointing out to refuse it's not got any similarities to PCars is a bit silly; the Madness engine will always be at the core of both titles.

I might have to try it again and report back haha

May i ask, what let you come to this conclusion, do you know the list of upcoming DLC?

But like mentioned. The price is indeed pretty high, so picking desired additional pay-content seperately is also an option.^^

Thats what i will do tbh they only currently list a few of the upcoming in the season pass listing and its not enough to make me want to buy the pass

Thats what i will do tbh they only currently list a few of the upcoming in the season pass listing and its not enough to make me want to buy the pass
So the information about some DLC releases should be updated, regarding release date, but this seems like a list, totally worth 90€, to be honest...
Just to be clear, what is still coming:
This includes:

• Hockenheim Pack featuring 1975, 1988, 2001, 2019 versions (individually this will sell for US$ 9.99 /€8.99) - MAY 2020

• Silverstone Pack featuring 1975, 1991, 2001, 2019 versions (individually this will sell for US$ 9.99 / €8.99) - JULY 2020

• Spa-Francorchamps Pack featuring 1970, 1991, 2019 versions (individually this will sell for US$ 9.99 / €8.99) - NOVEMBER 2020

• At least two more Track DLCs in the same mould of the two above ( US$ 9.99 / €8.99 each)

Furthermore, this Season Pass covers all Expansion Packs to be released in the 2020-2021 timefreame - these are packs currently confirmed, arranged to a certain theme, featuring cars, tracks or both, with base prices ranging from US$ 9.99 - US$ 19.99:

• Brazilian Grand Prix Legends - Pack featuring several World Championship cars won by Brazilian drivers
  • Historical Track Pack - Pack featuring historical variants of tracks featuring in the game
  • Street Supercars - Pack of road-legal Supercars
  • Racin´ USA - Pack featuring several North American cars and tracks, modern and historical
  • Adrenaline - Pack featuring several off-road & Extreme Motorsports cars and tracks
But of course, it's a sh*tton of money, so picking single packs may pay off more for some :)

So the information about some DLC releases should be updated, regarding release date, but this seems like a list, totally worth 90€, to be honest...
Just to be clear, what is still coming:

I know whats coming but what i meant was it doesnt all interest me enough to want to buy all of it. Hockenheim and Spa are in every single sim going so dont really grab my attention that much. Silverstone the only version that will be good to have in my opinion will be the 2001 track with the old abbey chicane and bridge section. But like i said thats personal preference.

I know whats coming but what i meant was it doesnt all interest me enough to want to buy all of it.
Yes, i totally get that, but i wouldn't call it generally overpriced then, that's the part, that was important to me right now, because the impression could be distorted, with this already pretty shocking price on first glance. It's just not worth the money for every user.^^

Not been fancying sim racing for a while now, but bought this on a whim.

First massive positive - it just worked. In VR. Launched the game, set it to Steam VR, there it was in the headset. Button mapping on my wheel was just there straight away, very intuitive navigation.

So I get into a car, and on a track.

OK I'm not in the car I wanted to be in, but realise later that there's a 'select' button on the car screen that I missed. So I'm in, I don't know, the default car. maybe a touring car or something. Not what I selected, probably won't be any fun, I'll try to work out how to quit and select the car I wanted. But I might as well have a drive now I'm here.

Initially I thought my wheel wasn't going to work because, when exiting the pits, the game drives for me. But as soon as I'm out of the pits, I have control.

And everything works. Steering, pedals. Just works.

And the car. I like it instantly. The FFB has instantly told me this car is heavy. I feel its weight every braking zone, every corner. Wow.

I've since had a run around in 90s F1, Caterham, F3. Every single one was incredible fun. And I can't comment on realism, but the cars felt like I imagine they should. They handle kerbs in the way I imagine they should.

And moreover, after a couple of laps, I had CONFIDENCE in the car. I started to learn where I could push it harder. Rely on it.

I'm now starting to winder if I fell out of love with sim racing because of ACC. This is just personal preference, but I personally never had any confidence in any of the cars in ACC. Every time I raced one I felt like a potential crash victim rather than a potential race finisher.

But yeah, wow. From a 'pick up and play' perspective, AMS2 scores very highly with me.

Although I could do with the kamikaze pitlane driver calming down a bit in the 90s F1 at Imola 1988. Drives the thing into the pitwall when exiting the pits and practically spins it at the pit exit when handing me control!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 303 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%