AMS 2 | Latest Big Update For Automobilista 2 Has Been Deployed

Goffik

10000RPM
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
The AI is still really poor, they don't seem to do a lot beyond follow the racing line, i shall push aggression up to 100% to see if that livens things up a bit.
You should probably explore the options available before making the criticism. Increasing aggression does indeed change AI behaviour and makes them more racey, both with you and each other. Check out this video by @MarkR for some examples.

Kranky Pantz

100RPM
Jun 14, 2017
Loving this update so far!!! :)

Only having one issue...where the heck is the option to disable the "Cooldown Lap" after finishing a race??? :confused:
I've never had that enabled until this update, and cannot find it in the options menu...I have the same issue with rF2 btw.

Is it enabled as part of one of the authenticity options or something?

Leonardo Chaves

1000RPM
Oct 11, 2010
FFb is better but still I'm missing a bit of damper so cars that have light FFB don't feel like i'm driving a toy wheel(even though i am 300rs). Also with some cars like the 620R the self aligning torque is very strong causing me to over compensate, i wish i could reduce it a bit. Ultima GTR street is similar in this respect, it's too dynamic.
Super V8 seems a bit strong overall & is clipping.
Drove most of the cars overall i think the FFB is better at least in the cars i tried.
The AI is still really poor, they don't seem to do a lot beyond follow the racing line, i shall push aggression up to 100% to see if that livens things up a bit.
They said something about a damper slider, i guess it didn't make the cut this time.

Reactions: Neils on Wheels

Tar Heel

100RPM
Sep 15, 2016
You should probably explore the options available before making the criticism. Increasing aggression does indeed change AI behaviour and makes them more racey, both with you and each other. Check out this video by @MarkR for some examples.
The AI is getting better, but they also still have a long way to go when they are still doing this stuff pretty regularly. They still seem to have this inability to recognize when someone is on the same line that is ahead of them. They forced me off the track multiple times tonight when I was trying out a race with the modern stock cars. Also I stated earlier and on the Reiza forums that there was almost zero time difference between AJRs at Curibita. 90 difficulty 80 aggression was doing 1:09s and 75 difficulty and 80 aggression was doing 1:09s as well. Both of which seem too fast for that track considering the top LB time is also in the 1:09s and the RL cars are more 1:12-1:15s.

Jens Roos

500RPM
Premium
Feb 23, 2017
Also, unlike AC, I am not able to move the seat left and right and it looks misalign on my steering wheel. Would be nice to have option to move seat left and right as well.
ctrl+k+k+k and you enter an mode where you can pan the camera more freely. Move keys get sticky as well, num pad 5 reset view. then ctrl+k 2 or 3 times to return to default mode.

Apparently an default engine dev feature or something.

Reactions: Emery and F_B

John-Eric Saxén

1000RPM
Premium
Jan 31, 2010
This update (or a previous one, a week since I tested last) has all but corrected the braking issues I was experiencing, no longer any instant lockups at high speed and braking behavior is much more predictable. Kudos to that.

MarcG

1000RPM
Premium
Jun 17, 2011
The AI are certainly better than they were a few weeks ago, I'm seeing much less Turn 1 Pile Ups and there's more racing between the AI. But there are still issues; the "train effect" is clearly still there, magical shorter braking distances when alongside me, too slow through some corners and alarmingly fast through others, massive difference of Skill Level across tracks etc

A long way to go before they're even anywhere near close to being on Par with other Sims, but they're certainly heading in the right direction which of course is the main thing.

Jebus

1000RPM
May 24, 2009
Also, unlike AC, I am not able to move the seat left and right and it looks misalign on my steering wheel. Would be nice to have option to move seat left and right as well.
ctrl+k+k+k and you enter an mode where you can pan the camera more freely. Move keys get sticky as well, num pad 5 reset view. then ctrl+k 2 or 3 times to return to default mode.

Apparently an default engine dev feature or something.
Q and E moves camera to left/right in some of the ctrl+k modes.

Spinelli

1000RPM
Jan 22, 2014
PHYSICS

Thoroughly revised tyre physics for all cars
Unless the core tyre engine/model has changed, the "tyre physics" haven't been changed/revised. Sure, cars may be running on different tyres but that's part of content creation and not revised "tyre physics." In real life, if you design a new tyre or a new car or anything, the laws of physics haven't changed. Words are important. When developers say "tyre physics" have changed or cars are running a new "tyre model," etc. that can be deceptive marketing & potentially misleading if the actual tyre physics/model the game engine is running on hasn't changed because therefore the "tyre physics" or "tyre model" actually hasn't in fact changed but rather just new content (new tyre) has been created for that particular car.

If Reiza has indeed revised the actual tyre engine/model itself then that's awesome but since they said "for all cars," it sounds like they're talking about content creation rather than truly revising the game engine's tyre model/engine itself and those are 2 very different things.

Just saying...How things are worded can make a big difference. One or two words can completely change the meaning or implication of an entire sentence or two.

Goffik

10000RPM
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
Is there a semantics bug going around RD or something? This is literally the fourth example this week of someone getting pent up over little more than words. I guess with the lockdown people have nothing better to do but worry about petty issues? :rolleyes:

It's a game patch. The tyres have been changed and they now feel better. I for one don't care how they word that in the patch notes. Why? Because it really doesn't matter...

MarcG

1000RPM
Premium
Jun 17, 2011
Is there a semantics bug going around RD or something? This is literally the fourth example this week of someone getting pent up over little more than words. I guess with the lockdown people have nothing better to do but worry about petty issues? :rolleyes:

It's a game patch. The tyres have been changed and they now feel better. I for one don't care how they word that in the patch notes. Why? Because it really doesn't matter...
I had to clicked "Show Ignored Content" to see what you're on about, one look at the posters name explained everything :D

• Haha
Reactions: Goffik

Jopamir

"CarryOn Racing Team"
Premium
May 14, 2016
Still cannot use the sequential shifters :( You can assign them but dont work when on track.
Only the paddle shifters in the wheel work, the HE seq dont (although assigned)

Reactions: Jonathan Young

MarcG

1000RPM
Premium
Jun 17, 2011
Still cannot use the sequential shifters :( You can assign them but dont work when on track.
Only the paddle shifters in the wheel work, the HE seq dont (although assigned)
Have you tried using Joy2Key? Works for me and my SHH Shifter, handy tool to have for all the Sims as I've got a multitude of Button Boxes.

Reactions: BrunoB and Jopamir

Jopamir

"CarryOn Racing Team"
Premium
May 14, 2016
Have you tried using Joy2Key? Works for me and my SHH Shifter, handy tool to have for all the Sims as I've got a multitude of Button Boxes.
Thanks Marc, Im not aware of this App?! but will give it a try :thumbsup: Still its really weird for this to happen in a modern sim...

Jopamir

"CarryOn Racing Team"
Premium
May 14, 2016
Also TC and Break/bias (amongst others) are not adjustable in-car (where apliable) yet.

Emery

2000RPM
Jun 6, 2009
They still seem to have this inability to recognize when someone is on the same line that is ahead of them.
Wow, that's crazy! Rogue AI driver, LOL! Racing equivalent of West World. I haven't had it happen to me.

Andy-R

1000RPM
Jul 23, 2016
Great to see Reiza regularly chipping away at AMS2. I hope some of the tyres get some more love in coming updates. Particularly the vintage and street tyres. Some seem overly grippy and some have this super forgiving behaviour where time can be gained by massively overdriving the car like this Ultima

Reactions: mibrandt