AMS 2 HUD Position Mod (VR)

Other AMS 2 HUD Position Mod (VR) 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Ross Garland submitted a new resource:

AMS 2 HUD Position Mod (VR) - Gets the HUD out of your face in VR, so that you can actually read it while driving!

This is a very simple mod to adjust the position of the HUD in VR. It moves the HUD away from the driver to a position around dashboard level, makes it smaller so that all widgets can be easily seen, and removes the rotation so that it's "flat" instead of angled away. It'll do until Reiza add HUD customisation sometime in the future.

To install, simply place the files (oculussettings.xml, openvrsettings.xml, starvrsettings.xml) into My Documents\Automobilista 2. Overwrite files when...

Read more about this resource...

UPDATE: AMS 2 v0.8.3.2 introduced an integrated HUD editor which can be used to set HUD size, distance and orientation. This mod is therefore no longer needed!

It still seems to work though, for those who don't want to mess about with the in-game editor. (Like me, because the one HUD element I want to be able to edit still isn't editable!)

Bobby Dazzler said:
... can you move the bottom rightHUD element (speed/gear/tires) more to the left by defaulgt please - still can't grab in VR.

Hey @Bobby Dazzler, I thought I'd reply to your review comment here because the info might help others with the same problem. :)

There's a workaround for those of us (including me) who can't click on HUD elements in the in-game editor. What you need to do is force your monitor to run at the same resolution as your VR headset. I have a Rift S, so for me that means making my 1920x1080 monitor run at 2560x1440. You can do this by creating a custom resolution in the nVidia Control Panel. I assume ATI have an equivalent option in the settings somewhere.

Once you've set the resolution and enabled it, go to My Documents/Automobilista 2 and open graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml, or whatever the file is called based on your headset. Set the following line to match the new resolution you created:
Code:
        <prop name="Mode" adapter="0" width="1920" height="1080" refresh_num="60000" refresh_dem="1000" />
(After saving your changes, you might need to set this file to "read only" to prevent the game automatically setting the resolution back again.)

Now start the game, go to the performance settings and choose your new resolution, and then head to the track. Open the HUD editor, and voila! You can now grab and move everything properly. Once you're finished, exit the track, set your resolution back to normal, exit the game, reverse the changes to the above file (remembering to uncheck "read only" if needed), and set your resolution back to normal. The HUD elements will remain where you put them. :thumbsup:

A total pain the arse I know, but I'm sure Reiza will fix the HUD editor in VR before they release v1.0.

Hey @Bobby Dazzler, I thought I'd reply to your review comment here because the info might help others with the same problem. :)

There's a workaround for those of us (including me) who can't click on HUD elements in the in-game editor. What you need to do is force your monitor to run at the same resolution as your VR headset. I have a Rift S, so for me that means making my 1920x1080 monitor run at 2560x1440. You can do this by creating a custom resolution in the nVidia Control Panel. I assume ATI have an equivalent option in the settings somewhere.

Once you've set the resolution and enabled it, go to My Documents/Automobilista 2 and open graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml, or whatever the file is called based on your headset. Set the following line to match the new resolution you created:
Code:
        <prop name="Mode" adapter="0" width="1920" height="1080" refresh_num="60000" refresh_dem="1000" />
(After saving your changes, you might need to set this file to "read only" to prevent the game automatically setting the resolution back again.)

Now start the game, go to the performance settings and choose your new resolution, and then head to the track. Open the HUD editor, and voila! You can now grab and move everything properly. Once you're finished, exit the track, set your resolution back to normal, exit the game, reverse the changes to the above file (remembering to uncheck "read only" if needed), and set your resolution back to normal. The HUD elements will remain where you put them. :thumbsup:

A total pain the arse I know, but I'm sure Reiza will fix the HUD editor in VR before they release v1.0.

Excellent - thank you... appreciate the time you've taken to explain so clearly. Will give it a go tonight. Use to fiddling with the settings xml files after discovering the sharpness improvement you can get from another thread so I hopeful I'll manage this!

And yup, fingers crossed they fix for release.

Got it sorted, thanks!

Following above worked, but I had to change graphicsconfigdx11.xml to see the 2560x1440 option in the performance menu (doing it in the oculus file didn't make it show up).

Thanks again,
Rob

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back