AMS 2 | February Development Roadmap Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios, slightly later than usual (and even later until I spotted it!) have released their Development Roadmap for the month of February.
  • Big update upcoming with core improvements.
  • Further AI, FFB and behaviour tweaks.
  • 1 year EA anniversary this month.

Released on Tuesday evening, the latest development roadmap for the Automobilista 2 racing simulation has been released - and as usual, it comes packed full of interesting and exciting things related to the world of the Brazilian developed title.

Although somewhat smaller than we have perhaps become accustomed to in recent developer updates, this latest blog post is still another very welcome and exciting insight into some of the hard work that continues to take place at Reiza Studios HQ - so read on to find out what the awesome guys and girls behind Automobilista have been up to in recent times!

AMS 2 Middle.jpg

AMS 2 February Development Roadmap:

Greetings everyone!

It's hard to believe that we have already hit March 2021 - time is flying by faster than a Sauber Mercedes C9 set to max boost!

This means this Dev Update has actually run a couple of days late as we focused on wrapping the big update just deployed this past Sunday - February just wasn't long enough
:)

March is likewise shaping up to be another very busy month as we gear up to what should hopefully be another major update - one that will mark the first anniversary since AMS2´s initial EA release.

For that reason, we'll be keeping this dev update a bit leaner than usual, focusing on the information that's most important as we approach this new milestone.

LAYING DOWN THE GROUNDWORK

Sunday saw the release of v1.1.2.0 update to AMS2, which has just been complemented by the v1.1.2.1 hotfix earlier today, with another minor update scheduled to be deployed before the end of the week.

While the rate of development has remained pretty intense from the very first public release, the last couple of months in particular has seen a big influx of updates to physics, AI and FFB, and regular users would have been forgiven for feeling like the game was under maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience, but it has truly been to better serve you
:)

On the physics front, the core of the dev work has been focused on tire and driveline development - these are two components of the physics engine that were completely new in the Madness engine relative to what we had been used to up to AMS1 - they are also much more sophisticated, which has proved to be a steep learning curve to get on top of.

Things did pick up pace in recent months, and physics for certain cars went through some big changes in between updates, occasionally with some sideways steps or even slightly backwards before things come together to lurch forward again - we realize this may have been a bit frustrating to go through for the users, but it was important to get it done and cover most ground in the shortest amount of time so we could establish the stable baseline we´ll be relying on moving forward.

AMS 2 Roadmap 1.jpg

As physics change, the AI needs to be adjusted to suit since they run on simpler tire and driveline models relative to the much more complex physics used in the player´s car - the AI has received plenty of developments of its own, with several adjustments to their behavior and an increased breakdown of previously global parameters allowing for car-specific tuning of various aspects which compose their overall performance - this allows for more detailed fine tuning of AI in any given series, which is crucial in a sim featuring everything from rental karts to racing trucks.

The latest update has also seen some valuable FFB development, with the default profile now providing more accurate self-aligning torque and various handling dynamics such as brake torque, wheel lockup, and traction loss also becoming more detailed through the FFB.

These three fronts are key for a satisfying driving and racing experience, and while all will continue to evolve through AMS2´s shelf life, we have hopefully reached a state from which progress should become more incremental, and users thus can be more reliant on the experience remaining a lot more consistent from one update to the next.

We now have the solid baseline needed to introduce & flesh out more gameplay features to make the best use of all this groundwork - that is the plan as we enter this 2nd year in AMS2 development, and the first big step should arrive already later this month.

AMS 2 Roadmap 2.jpg

THE NEXT UPDATE

Next month will mark the first anniversary since the initial Early Access release of AMS2 on March 31th 2020, and over this first year we have mostly focused on developing the simulation core and assembling a large, diverse content base; the second will still be primarily about introducing new gameplay features that make best use of all this groundwork.

Given the extent of the physics updates in recent months and their impact on the performance of several cars, we have decided that a reset of Time Trial boards and its setup DB will be in order with our March update; likewise a substantial update to championship mode with several new options will mean saved championships from the current version will no longer work after the late March update.

So a bit of inconvenience ahead, but a necessary clean slate to bring these game modes up to par - while it´s always possible this may again be necessary further down the line in case of a major breakthrough, we assure that at least for the foreseeable future things should remain much more stable.

AMS Roadmap 3.jpg

There is a lot of cool stuff coming up with the next update and subsequent months that we are eager to share, but we´ll leave that for the Dev Update we´ll be posting later this month just before the new version is released, so we can cover them in more detail :)

In the meantime we hope you all manage to stay safe and enjoy a fun time with AMS2 or whatever else tickles your sim racing bone, wishing it´s contributing to that crucial little bit of indoor joy while we continue to hunker down in these tough times!

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now, exclusive to PC.

For AMS 2 news and discussion the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to be! Head over, start up a thread and join in the community discussion today!

AMS 2 Footer.jpg

Attachments

• AMS 2 Header.jpg
    AMS 2 Header.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Punctures! Muthafudging PUNCTURES! Seriously am I just being slow and have only just noticed this, have they always been there or is it just with the new build. I'll leave a link to a video of it happening in the Porsche 962C on my profile to show it. Have only now seen it happen on Group C and GT1 cars, but seriously is this new?

I would love to see some major advancement in terms of damage both visual and physical in this sim, I have a feeling there is potentially alot that could be done under the hood of this sim. What do you guys think?
Seriously ? Tire puncture visual and physics on Automobilista 2?

Tarmac Terrorist

Paul McCaffrey
Are you talking about flat tire digging on AM 2 ? Its really in tje game ???
It seems to transpire that it may be that the wheel is for all intensive purpose'es, 'fallen off' But if you look at the vid footage i mentioned its still there, riding on the rim. I can't get the tire to blow from burning it out, and belive me i've tried, but can from collisions, so maybe its just that its not physically there anymore, but is visually, but looks like its riding on the rim, if that makes sense. Anyway, I think there are potentially a few things that you can kinda see this sim may be capable of, but ar'nt implimented yet, or maybe are but ar'nt quite there yet. Sorry, that was a total waffle was'nt it

I love A2, I practically only ride on it. I ride in virtual reality and it's extraordinary. The biggest flaw for me to correct (and no one ever talks about it) is that you can't adjust the mirrors. It is necessary in virtual reality, like in a real car. Sometimes it goes with certain models, but often I have to bend down a bit to see my opponents. Well, I'm still a huge, huge fan and I hope Reiza will take my advice into account.
I know, I had already written that elsewhere ... :sleep:

Last edited:
Je pense que Reiza devra vraiment mettre en œuvre les crevaisons des pneus. Aujourd'hui, il n'y a pas de simulation complète (gestion de la météo, transition jour / nuit, arrêt au stand animé ainsi que les voitures de sécurité pour le départ de la course et le règlement des drapeaux jaunes) beaucoup de ces fonctions, sans oublier les dommages physiques et visuels. Si tous ces paramètres peuvent être ajustés dans les menus: ON OFF, eh bien ce jeu sera un vrai hit couplé à un bon contenu solide: voitures et circuit.
Mod Edit:
Please use English in future as per our ToS.
"I think Reiza will really have to implement the tire punctures. Today, there is no complete simulation (weather management, day / night transition, lively pit stop as well as safety cars for the start of the race and the settlement of the yellow flags) many of these functions, not to mention physical and visual damage. If all these parameters can be adjusted in the menus: ON OFF, well this game will be a real hit coupled with good solid content: cars and track."

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Another big update coming soon. Physics, AI and FFB first, then more
content. Getting to grips with the SMS engine is the priority - it had to take
some time for sure, but the results are turning out very nicely with every
new update, no doubt.

Great work, Reiza.

Je pense que Reiza devra vraiment mettre en œuvre les crevaisons des pneus. Aujourd'hui, il n'y a pas de simulation complète (gestion de la météo, transition jour / nuit, arrêt au stand animé ainsi que les voitures de sécurité pour le départ de la course et le règlement des drapeaux jaunes) beaucoup de ces fonctions, sans oublier les dommages physiques et visuels. Si tous ces paramètres peuvent être ajustés dans les menus: ON OFF, eh bien ce jeu sera un vrai hit couplé à un bon contenu solide: voitures et circuit.

FR : Bienvenue sur RaceDepartment, Utilises Deepl ou un autre logiciel / site web pour mettre ton texte en anglais, tout le monde fait l'effort d'écrire en anglais.
Pour tes souhaits, ca viendra mais d'ici quelques mois / années comme sur AMS1.

ENG : Welcome to RaceDepartment, Use Deepl or other software / website to put your text in English, everyone makes the effort to write in English.
For your wishes, it will come but in a few months/years like on AMS1.

Last edited:

Theodore 2019

@Simberia
And... After long time I tried a multiclass racing and I felt I was in PC2.

Unbalanced cars, AI cars slowing in the middle of straights when close of others, strange FFB, pit-stop chaos, my car stuck for 30 sec while AI took 5 seconds...

I honestly think their "tweaks" on this engine is rolling a stone uphill.

Oh, wait, the VR is good. To not be a full complainer, aside that I feel everything better in AMS1 and its a old engine.

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.2%