AMS 2 | Beta 4 and 5 Now Available + Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
As the development ramps up ahead of a public release, Reiza Studios release beta 4 and 5 of Automobilista in quick succession - with a whole host of changes and improvements included.

Showing great signs of progress from the nearly unrecognisable initial first release back at the end of February, Reiza Studios remain hard at work bringing about the levels of polish and refinement the Brazilian development team have become known for with their racing simulations. Taking on a new game engine in the form of Slightly Mad Studios MADNESS, a departure from the traditional gMotor base that powered previous releases Game StockCar Extreme and Automobilista 1, it is perhaps inevitable that the early stages of development would be a mixed bag of the good, bad and the ugly, and that is certainly how things have been so far in the progress for this highly promising racing simulation.

With nearly a month worth of closed beta tweaks, fixes and improvements, the game at Beta 5 stage is now a significant step forward from initial release, and looks to be shaping up nicely as Reiza look to apply a further big push before moving ahead from closed beta status.

With the public release getting ever closer, two significant updates have been deployed to the sim in close succession, bringing the title to 'beta 5' status as well as a new roadmap posting from the developers - outlining the immediate future of the title. Check out the full details below.

Beta 5 Update Notes:

UI

• Implemented suspension setup screen
  • Added Anti-roll bar settings to quick setup
  • Fixed unselected label on advanced setup button
PHYSICS
  • Further tyre model revisions
  • Revised body aero drag for all cars
  • Added & callibrated AI throttle delay per car
  • Fixed bug in which cars with a single all-weather compound would crash loading a raining session
  • Adjusted F-Ultimate throttle map & fixed balk torque
  • Fixed missing curb noise on some curb types
FFB
  • Revised pneumatic trail values & max steering rack force for each car (minor adjustments may still be required)
AI
  • Fixed & adjusted range of AI throttle application for each car, improving performance balance vs player out of corners (function was fixed but not tuned in BETA4 causing a lot of misbehavior)
  • Adjusted AI to mitigate excessive number of T1 incidents (not enough, more to come)
  • Bumped up AI Aggression slightly for all cars, following further adjustments for behaviorial changes on aggression scale
AUDIO
  • Sprint Race V6: fixed pops and clicks on interior sounds.
TRACKS
  • Art passes for Imola & Imola 1972, Kyalami Historic, Donington, Interlagos, Montreal
  • Adjusted Weather/climate values,
  • Fixed start trigger at Interlagos which could first place to miss a lap on start
  • Updated Donington_GP TV cams
  • Added enhanced 3D road patch parameters to Donington, Kyalami Historic, Montreal
VEHICLES
  • Fixed scaling error in Opala 3D model
  • Kart GX390 Race - fixed steering wheel axis
  • Formula V12 - fixed graphics glitch; RPM light, brakedisc glow, updated rear light

Beta 4 Update Notes:

IMPORTANT:
We strongly recommend all users, specially those with DD wheels to configure their FFB strentgh to lower values before launching BETA4, and increase them as they find suitable. The new pneumatic trail formula makes self-alining torque a lot more pronounced, which can make the wheel snap if your settings for BETA3 are a bit on the heavy side.

We also fixed an issue that was causing road & curbs to be less perceptible, so FX settings no longer enhance such forces, but only add vibration for engine, transmission and scrub. If you want a more pure FFB you may want to start by zeroeing out FX and experiment with small increments

CONTENT:
  • Added Imola 1972
UI
  • Initial implementation of SETUP screens (just initial fast edit & initial tab for now, to be complemented in BETA5)
FFB
  • Updated pneumatic trail calculation, now equal to what we had in AMS1 resulting in higher overall rack force and self aligning torque)
  • Added stoplocks for Accuforce / OSW / Simucube / Bodnar and other custom wheels (needs testing)
  • Adjusted "FX" FFB effects - no longer adds "fake" road noise after porting over AMS1 surface noise code - FX now adds engine vibe (modelled from crankshaft angular rotation) and tyre scrub (as an actual frequency coming from STM)
  • Removed redundant "flavour" FFB profiles, renamed as "TYPE" with only two options (Default / Custom)
PHYSICS
  • Doubled tyre tread & width resolution in tyre model
  • Further revisions to tread & carcass load stiffnes for several tyres
  • Revised F-Vintage drivetrain
  • Adjusted brake torque of formula cars
  • Adjusted rain tyres (to be complemented in BETA5)
  • Adjusted gearbox damage & timings (to be complemented in BETA5)
  • Revised driving aids functionality & gamepad sensitivity multipliers (to be complemented in BETA5)
AI
  • Various AI performance adjustments
  • Added AI Start variable to balance AI standing start performance vs player (only for cases where AI could launch much faster - this will be expanded in a future build to improve AI launch performance in cars that needs higher revs off the line)
  • Further adjusted AI Aggression scalars for anything that isnt a F1 car
AUDIO
  • Fixed some loop issues in F-Vintage V8 engines e
  • Fixed FClassic V8 missing external sound in chase view
  • Added ambient audio effects to all tracks
  • Lowered some impact sounds volume
  • Removed spotter voice when leaving pits
TRACKS
  • Kyalami Historic art & physics pass
  • Adjusted tarmac shader with added ambient reflections
  • Adjusted crowd shader
  • Small tweaks to atmosphere/sky
  • Physics / track limit revisions to Cascavel, Interlagos Brands Hatch
  • Adjusted night lights & added props to several tracks
  • Revised Adelaide Historic AI paths
VEHICLES
  • Updated Copa Uno steering wheel mesh
  • Mitsubishi Lancer R: add LODs, add windscreen reflection
  • Mitsubishi Lancer RS: add windscreen reflection
  • More liveries added & updated for F-Classic Gen2, F-Reiza, Old Stock, Ultima Race, MRX, AJR cars

Automobilista 2 Development Roadmap

Greetings everyone! I hope everyone is doing OK and keeping safe.

What a difference a month can make right? A few weeks ago we had just deployed the first Beta build for AMS2 and were still firing on all cylinders pushing through our Beta program to get AMS2 ready for release on March 31st - a lot of work has been done in the 3 weeks we have been in Beta - we have just deployed our 5th BETA build tonight - but a lot remains to be done, and for that we relied on a strong couple of weeks in this final stint to reach a standard we´d be satisfied with for Automobilista 2 v1.0.

Unfortunately the last week has seen the World thrown into disarray, and with it the little chance we still had to get through the remaining workload in time for the 31st evaporated, as even though we already work in a fully remote operation and the Reiza team has not been directly impacted by COVID-19, things like this tend to bring indirect implications which have and will continue to inevitably slow us down a bit - as much as everyone in the team enjoys working hard, this would not a good time to be pushing developers to their limits. nor would it feel appropriate to be engaging in promotional fanfare for a game release.

Paradoxically, this also happens to be turning into a boost for sim racing as all motorsports activities have grounded to a halt, and they are all turning to what sim racing can offer to help fill the time. We have already seen some huge events being organized in a very short time as fans, drivers and real series all flock to sim racing to engage on a level they never had before, and for us it would be a thrilling opportunity to offer everyone a fresh platform to enjoy themselves during these challenging times.

Taking all this into account, we have elected to go ahead with a soft launch for Automobilista 2 on March 31st as a Steam Early Access Release, offering a 40% discount over the full price of the base game for the duration of the EA phase, which we expect to last between 4 to 8 weeks.

AMS2 Roadmap For Early Access, Release and Beyond

By the time AMS2 goes live on Steam in March 31st we will be publishing a detailed breakdown of what will be the key development goals during this period for AMS2 to reach v1.0 status sometime between April and May - the extended timeline now allows us aim for a more robust V1.0 release, going further than our plans were for v1.0 on March 31st.

Last month we had published our schedule for the first 3 months of AMS2 post-release, featuring plans for monthly game updates along with new content packs (free and DLC) and some key new features - these plans largely stand unchanged even with the Early Access phase, as the Historic GP cars, GT3/GT4 pack, Hockenheim, Bathurst, Silverstone and a few other cool, not-yet disclosed bits of content are all already well under production and will be added to that game within that proposed schedule.

AMS 2 Roadmap 1.png

AMS2 BETA - Final Week to Join!

Due to popular demand we have put the forum store live again, where you can buy a pack that grants you AMS2 + AMS2 Beta + 2020-2021 DLC Season Pass.

We emphatize however this only makes sense at this stage for those who were already entitled to a free key or a discount on the package from their participation in previous crowdfunding campaigns, and those who may be eager to participate in AMS2 Beta development process from March 31st onwards as that will no longer be available for new users after initial AMS2 release on Steam.

For those not familiar with AMS2 Beta and how it may differ from the Early Access game that will be available on Steam on March 31st, follows a brief explanation:

Similar to its predecessor (Automobilista Beta for AMS1) AMS2 Beta is a separate AMS2 install on Steam which has been available to people who bought into the AMS2 Early Backing Campaign since Feburary 28th; after the main game is released next week, AMS2 Beta will continue to receive early beta updates and new WIP content (free or DLC) before they are deployed to the main game release, during and after Early Access is over.

If you are interested in AMS2 as a finished product however please hold off the impulse to buy into the Beta unless you really are convinced you want to engage with AMS2 development on the long run and want the chance to be playing already in these final days before the official release - if you want to check out AMS2 but don´t want to make a large financial commitment to it, we strongly recommend you wait 8 more days and get the base game with a 40% discount along with 2h to evaluate it from Steam.

AMS 2 Roadmap 2.jpg

That covers what we wanted to share with you for this pre-release dev update - obviously a bit different to what we had in mind after a gruelling 16-month production period, but we remain very excited to be sharing the results of our labour with all sim racers, and hope it can provide a bit of enjoyment over the next few months while we all take cover from this pesky bug that is doing the rounds...

Original Source: Reiza Studios

Automobilista 2 is set to be made available exclusively for PC later this month.

Got questions or comments about the sim? Head over to the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start a thread to engage with our awesome community!

AMS 2 Beta 4 and 5.jpg

Last edited:
I´m more than happy already with it´s actual beta stage.
The FFB now is very good. And it shows us that the dvelopement and work leads in a positive direction.
Graphically it is spot on already and visually very beautiful. Especially with day night cycles etc.
Same is Audio, it´s pretty good already! Very immersive!
It´s still a beta with some bugs but they manage to really make it better step by step in proper leaps.
I don´t regret spending money for the beta at all. It´s really cool to see things develop also in a good direction.

My conviction is that this will become an awesome title!!! I´m pretty sure about this.

To be honest i found it very sad with all the sceptics that told eveybody again and again how bad it is. Stick to the stuff you like and let us enjoy the title and developement.
What´s the point on hating in the first(!!!) beta versions?? It´s still in developement!
I can´t hear it anymore to be honest!!

With the last couple of updates the FFB has come on leaps and bounds, being having an absolute blast with Ultima GT at Brands last night and also the the Sprint and the Caterham Light.
Really confident that within the next couple of months this will be my go to sim

I'm an early backer so was able to follow the progression from beta to beta. And so far I am very impressed with AMS2 in general and how Reiza as a studio tackle the issues. I own ACC, AC, PC2 and DR2. So far my go to sims were AC and ACC, but I have to say that AMS2 has some of the best FFB and might become nr. 1 go to sim for me. I am using SC2sport and the FFB is great with all the details. Especially I like what they done with wet surface FFB and physics. As mentioned by others AI needs improvements. I hope there will be good online ranking system then it's golden.

You sure about gt3, gt4 free for backers?

Just to clarify this, the GT3/GT4 pack, the 2 90s DTM cars and the Historic GP cars as well as Bathurst are free to all who buy AMS2 as these will be added to the base game - if you buy AMS2 next week youll already have them all locked.

The only two DLCs in this 5-month roadmap are Hockenheim (1975, 1988, 2001 & 2019 versions) and Silverstone (1975, 1991, 2001 & 2019 versions), and those are included in the Backer / forum purchase, as are all other DLCs planned for 2020-2021.

Last edited:
This all sound very encouraging, totally looking forward to next week to try the early access. I am already certain it will be a nice addition to my library. SMS graphics, always good, Reiza improved physics and FFB, will be decent at the very least, Reiza special content not available anywhere else, what is not to be liked about that?
I do not need a 'go to SIM' or 'a preferred SIM' and even less choose only one. All SIM are equal in my Steam library, I use all of them for what they have to offer.
This one is shaping as having a lot to offer. Bring it on already!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.6%