American Truck Simulator Open Beta 1.4 Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
American Truck Sim.jpg

SCS Software have released beta build 1.4 of the highly acclaimed American Truck Simulator game, bringing a few new features and optimisations to the title.

As in the usual practice with SCS releases, beta build 1.4 is an optional public beta release, designed to allow those who want an early preview of the polished update before other users. You can find the beta in the public_beta branch on Steam. (Steam client → LIBRARY → right click on American Truck Simulator → Properties → Betas tab → public_beta - 1.4 public beta). No password is required.

Beta build 1.4 brings with it the new option to select a range of custom steering wheel covers for some of the trucks in game, interior camera zoom arrives and a new reworking of the trailer selection UI has been improved to increase the different trailer options available to players (see video below).

New trailer selection in ETS2 and ATS Video:

A full change log for public beta 1.4 can be seen below:

MAIN FEATURES
  • Custom steering wheel position - You'll be allowed to modify both the height and the angle of the steering wheel so you can create your perfect driving position.
  • Trailer selection - We have recently changed how trailer data are organized under the hood in the game engine. More flexibility will come handy; one trailer 3D model can have multiple looks - different "paints" - textures - for example to represent different companies), and there may actually be multiple trailers compatible with the same cargo type. As we are adding new companies, trailers, and cargoes to the game (and so are modders), the old system was no longer sufficient.

When you pick a job to transport, the game will now give you a chance to change the trailer look (or the trailer itself) if it finds that there are alternate possibilities available for transporting given cargo.
ats_trailer_selection_01.jpg

ats_trailer_selection_02.jpg

CODE
  • Cruise control is not disabled by the throttle anymore.
  • Interior camera zoom - please set the key/button for zoom in Options → Key and buttons → Camera controls → Zoom interior camera.
  • Option to set preferred job length generation in options.
  • Option to set split shifting input.
  • More unit display options (volume, consumption).
DATA
  • Steering wheels are now a separate model with default and exclusive version for each truck
  • Low air warning sound added.
  • Customizable cabin lights and horns on all trucks.
MODDING
  • Separated map_data.sii from game_data.sii
  • Look_presets_defaults[] in interior camera
  • Change trailer looks to paint jobs.

Check out the American Truck Simulator and European Truck Simulator 2 forums for the latest news, downloads and discussions regarding these two truck driving titles.

Will you check out the public beta, or wait for full release? Do you like the new additional options? Let's discuss below!

Last edited:
Note: I have no gaming PC and have never played this game, but every time I see it I can't take my eyes off it. I have no idea why! I think it reminds me of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Boring, but old school and accurate.

Happy that they are making improvements but don't think I'm going to go back to ATS until the map rescaling is done. I only have a limited amount of trucking time and enjoying ETS2 more currently just for the varied landscape of driving from southern Europe right up to Iceland and Norway in Promods.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back