American Truck Sim: New Rescale Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
American Truck Sim Rescale Preview 2.png

SCS Software are well on their way to releasing the much anticipated map rescale for the American Truck Simulator driving game. To mark the public open beta build deployment the studio have revealed a couple of new images from the latest version as well as sharing some more information about what to expect in the upcoming ATS update.

With a tradition of releasing new builds into public beta in order to iron out the final bugs before release of the completed version (see ETS2 update news here), SCS seem to have really hit the nail on the head with this latest build. Expanding the original map scale in American Truck Sim from 1:35 into 1:20 scale has really opened up the playing area in the game, allowing the studio licence to better organise the road system and points of interest, as well as adding new sections of road not possible in the initial release version of the title.

American Truck Sim Rescale Preview.png

As well as previewing the new map scale, the open beta of American Truck Simulator also gives players their first look at some new features and content due to be added to the final release. Version 1.5 now includes the ability to select 6x2 chassis or 6x2 chassis with lift-able axles (lifted axles avoid unnecessary tire wear when the weight distribution stays within legal limits) as well as enhancing the way weight stations work in ATS, a move designed to better replicate the real world process.

In a mirror of the recent European Truck Sim 2 open beta update, ATS will benefit from new truck transmissions across all vehicles and enhancements to the upgrade shop and truck browser search tool. Adjustable interior FOV per truck has been included alongside enhanced modding support and many other fixes and improvements.

For those who missed it first time, the below video offers a preview of version 1.5 SCS Blender Tools update for both ATS and ETS2.

SCS Blender Tool Version 1.5 Changelog
  • Added support for one-click setup of environment lighting loaded from sun profiles SII file (eg. /def/climate/default/nice.sii). This enables the best possible preview of a model in game like environment.
  • Asynchronous paths initialization on startup, resulting in faster Blender startup and faster blend files opening
  • User option to load all libraries and resources from sibling "base" directories also (by default off)
  • Ability to reload library on the fly beside the setting where it is used (eg. Hookup Lib can be reloaded in Model Locator Settings)
  • Improved material flavors behavior, with implementation of filter for non existing effects combinations (prevents user to create non existing effect)
  • Added support for creation of SCS Locators and SCS Root via standard Blender add menu (menu accessible via Shift+A in 3D viewport)
  • Normal maps properly visualized in 3D view even if active UV layer on object is not the one used for normal maps calculation.
  • Reloading shader presets only when cache is out-dated (again speed-up of opening blend files)
  • Updated Prefab Locators flags:
    - added Map Point split lanes setups,
    - added Weight Station CAT Spawn Point type,
    - added Traffic Semaphores types: Traffic Light (virtual), Barrier - Automatic.
  • Improvements & Fixes:
    - fixed unpropper UI snapping of TOBJ settings,
    - ensuring same order of bone channels in PIA export (useful when working with VCS),
    - negative add ambient material values supported in export and also visualized in Blender 3D viewport (more info here),
    - properly reported python error on screen and in BT log while importing/exporting
    - rejecting wrongly named SCS Root Object on export (more info here),
    - reporting missing UV layer used for normal maps on export,
    - reporting multiple animations with same name overwriting each other on export,
    - properly handling none existing UV mappings aliases on import (most properly produced with ConverterPIX),
    - fixed Blender crash if rapidly enabling/disabling SCS Blender Tools add-on,
    - fixed error on import if no 3D viewport is found or active object is on currently hidden layer in scene.

American Truck Sim and European Truck Sim 2 are available to purchase now on the Steam network.

Check out the American Truck Simulator sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news regarding the sim. Join in the conversation with your fellow truckin' fans and have a look through our ATS downloads section, where you will find a nice mix of new community created content for the game. Head over and join in today!

Looking forward to the ATS map expansion? What would you like to see added next to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • ronniej

ETS2 and ATS must be a double edge sword of sorts for the actual truck driver who thought it might be fun, as it does a good enough job at replicating "workin the miles" that it would seem like they're practicing for the next two weeks of their lives.:coffee:

With all the changes and updates (especially Steam Workshop) in the last year with the two titles I think I will have to give it another whirl soon.

Where's the open beta?

I wish they had gone to an even larger scale to make long trips even longer, because the usual scale in Europe can be a bit limiting sometimes. Still, sounds like it will be much better.

A nice slight change of scenery after months of going through the same roads all over again in the original map. It's still going to be the same routine drive from SF to Phoenix but at least I won't have to deal with awkward street-level intersections on the interstate hopefully.

I still see myself going into ETS2 more though as ATS still needs more states. However, I'm stillvery impressed by how SCS managed to take the risks. More devs need to be like these guys.

ETS2 and ATS must be a double edge sword of sorts for the actual truck driver who thought it might be fun, as it does a good enough job at replicating "workin the miles" that it would seem like they're practicing for the next two weeks of their lives.:coffee:.

I'm not a truck driver but have some experience in driving many hours for work, and after that I don't have any interest in just driving around in a sim like this in my free time. I can see the appeal, but it just isn't for me. I cannot imagine too many real truck drivers would have interest in driving for 14 hours just to get home and spend their day off replicating it on a sim, but who knows maybe there are some out there :)

I've put in a few hours since the latest beta update, and they've made some really nice changes. The scale change is nice of course, but also things like no cross-traffic on the interstate, new and realistic added rest areas, climbing the Grapevine headed out of Los Angeles. I even saw a cop that had a semi pulled over. Also a nice new turbo sound on the KW. Lots of small changes add up to a much -improved gaming experience.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 300 13.3%