American Truck Sim | Introducing Colorado

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
SCS Software have recently shown off preview images from their latest work-in-progress map expansion DLC - introducing the state of Colorado!

Yes, another new area within the virtual world of American Truck Simulator is currently being cooked up by those clever boys and girls of SCS Software - this time the studio are developing the new state in conjunction with the already announced Idaho expansion - so expect plenty of beautiful scenery and many more miles of road network to enjoy in the near future!

The Colorado expansion (that sounds like a Robert Ludlam book title, doesn't it?) has been in development for quite some time by the Czech development team, and recently the studio let loose a small teaser trailer for the community to try and guess the location - impressively, with plenty of people hitting the nail on the head first time!

For reference, the teaser trailer can be found below:

Now the new location has been confirmed, what can players expect to enjoy once it releases later this year? This is what SCS Software have to say about the upcoming DLC:

Colorado, a western U.S. state, has a diverse landscape of arid desert, river canyons and snow-covered Rocky Mountains, which are partly protected by Rocky Mountain National Park. Elsewhere, Mesa Verde National Park features Ancestral Puebloan cliff dwellings. Perched a mile above sea level, Denver, Colorado’s capital and largest city, features a vibrant downtown area.
From vast prairie grasslands to the majestic mountains, rushing rivers to desert landscapes, Colorado is unlike anywhere else. The highest-altitude state in the USA offers an unbelievable selection of wildlife and natural wonders as well as rich cultural heritage found in frontier forts, narrow-gauge railways, mining museums, dinosaur fossils, ancient cliff dwellings and in the art of local American Indian tribes. From ice climbing to a hot springs soak, a stay in a historic hotel or a trip through a ghost town, Colorado’s Western legacy is everywhere.

As is usually the case with these type of announcements / reveals, no exact release date has been confirmed for the new content at this stage, aside from an expected release window somewhere within the current calendar year.

Original Source: SCS Software

American Truck Simulator is available from Steam exclusively for PC.

Having issues with the simulation? Post a thread in the American Truck Sim sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our awesome community help you out!

ATS Colorado 1.jpg
ATS Colorado 2.jpg
ATS Colorado 3.jpg
ATS Colorado 4.jpg

Looks nice, but is this a good simulator? If you don't race, what´s the point in driving these trucks? I never
tried any truck Sim. I enjoy sometimes driving slowly watching nice tracks, but this slow I'm not sure...

there is google maps, there is google cars, there will soon be Microsoft flight simulator which is built on real terrain data. Then why are the driving simulators are still based on fictional roads?

Because why not? it takes a lot less resources and money to develop on fictional roads. ATS and ETS2 are great simulators. But no point in buying it unless you have a pre existing interest in trucks otherwise you will just whine and moan about it.

Also for Euro Truck Simulator 2 there is a massive map mod called Pro Mods makes the game around 3 or 4 times larger in terms of drivable roads
Honestly I bought both ATS and ETS2. Not only I never installed any mod but also I have never touched any of them. Sure I will give them some love. But my first question was: is it impossible to make a sim based on real roads instead of fictional? I find fictional stuff a bit arcade-ish and childish (Not being harsh, just my opinion).

Looks nice, but is this a good simulator? If you don't race, what´s the point in driving these trucks? I never
tried any truck Sim. I enjoy sometimes driving slowly watching nice tracks, but this slow I'm not sure...
I've never driven a truck like these so I can't say how accurate the actual truck operation is - I have mine set up as a casual level of realism (auto trans, auto differentials, things like that - but you can have a lot of stuff be manual control if you want that kind of "sim" immersion). And yes, the roads and cities are semi-real - there are some real-world landmarks, and the routes generally do go between the places they connect in real life but are obviously scaled and rendered fictionally. But, I went to Yosemite National Park when I was a kid, and it was a long time ago but I specifically remember one spot that was a road right next to a river with mountains behind it, and when I went there in ATS it instantly reminded me of that. Probably not exactly accurate, but neither is my memory! But it was enough to put me there.

For me the "point" is that I just find it relaxing. Nobody is going to shunt you on the last lap (or last mile) of a delivery after taking a couple of real-world hours to get there, nobody is shooting at you, put on some music (you can even tune into actual streaming radio stations within the game if you like) and cruise through the scenery. If you enjoy just hitting the highway for a drive in real-life, you might find something similar here. Don't take it too seriously (or you can if you want), but it's more fun than I thought it would be.

Also, I don't remember how I did this but I disabled the police giving tickets for speeding. Fully loaded Peterbuilt and trailer at 100 mph is a handful...

I just checked Steam and the base game is on sale for $4.99 - that includes California, Nevada, and Arizona. Not sure if it's still around but there was also a free demo that had a decent sized area to explore. At $5 it's well worth the content included in the base sim, in my opinion and if you like it wait for more sales on the expansions.

Yeah, I enjoy watching nice landscapes while driving in real life and also driving Sims. With these
trucks the sense of speed should be minimal, but it has its appeal going slow and caring for the ongoing traffic. Transporting merchandise must be a new sansation! It's cool. Some day I will
give it a go. Thanks.

Yeah, I enjoy watching nice landscapes while driving in real life and also driving Sims. With these
trucks the sense of speed should be minimal, but it has its appeal going slow and caring for the ongoing traffic. Transporting merchandise must be a new sansation! It's cool. Some day I will
give it a go. Thanks.
I'm a bit late but here's my 2 cents:

The "sim" part of this game would be the map itself, logistic part is getting better and better but when it comes to your truck, it often "looks realistic" but driving physics is OFF by miles (Trailer doesn't slide whatsoever, even when you slam the brake or do a hard tilt on the highway.)

Not saying they are bad games, tho. I own ETS, ETS2 and ATS on Steam. Have more than 300 hours logged in ETS2. Started playing 18 Wheels of Steel series since I was 16, so I know what their games are like - it can be both relaxing and challenging at the same time.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 455 39.2%