American Truck Sim | Build 1.36 Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A brand new build for the increasingly impressive American Truck Simulator is now available.

Before new map expansion fans get too excited, this new build doesn't bring with it the much anticipated Utah DLC, that one comes in a few days time, but it does offer up some nice improvements to many of the already existing game areas, plus a few extra goodies thrown in for good measure.

Having been available in public beta access form for a little while now, V1.36 doesn't appear to be as considerable in size as previous update for the sim - however this new build does mark an important step forward for SCS Software as they look to improve the core game code under the hood - allowing the development team opportunities to build bigger and better content releases in future updates.

ATS V1.36 Out Now 2.jpg

One of the particularly interesting things from this new build is the move to DX11 as standard, retiring the older DX9 build of the sim and adding quite a nice FPS performance boost for many of the players. With DX11 should hopefully come a nice uplift in power for VR users, helping improve a feature of the title that has to be tried to believe how good it is in a game such as this.

To celebrate the new 1.36 update, you can check out the below update trailer, and catch the full change log below:

American Truck Sim V1.36 Update Notes:

MAP
  • Santa Cruz (CA) revamp
  • Flagstaff (AZ) revamp
  • California speed limit improvements
  • Oregon and New Mexico speed limit and general sign improvements

VEHICLES
  • Grain hopper trailer (ownable)
  • Bulk feed trailer (ownable)
  • Frac-tank trailer

FEATURES
  • Avoid pins for GPS navigation
  • New AI vehicles + all police paint jobs corrected
  • Drivers / Trucks / Trailer visible on manager map
  • DirectX 11 full support (DirectX 9 removed)
  • Chinese and other non-Latin character input (IME)
  • Anti-aliasing improvements (SMAA, electric-wires)
  • New loading screens

MOD
  • Sun profile changes (HDR)
  • License plate changes for AI (data-driven types, background texture data)
  • Dashboard display UI elements (digital gauges, fuel consumption bar)
  • Map editor history (undo/redo)
  • Continuous selection of nodes

ATS V1.36 Out Now.jpg

Meh. We still need 100 mods to have a half decent trucking experience. That's what happens when there's no competition. No significant improvement, or improvement that simply takes far too long.

Depends on your expectations I guess. I have maybe a dozen mods running and I supremely enjoy my trucking experience. And of those mods the only one I'd consider essential is the "long yellow lights" mod because without it yellow lights only last one second which is not enough time to stop or speed up, so you get fines. Other than that I could have a very enjoyable trucking experience without any other mods. Not that it isn't more enjoyable with the mods I have installed, but I'd have 90% as much fun without them. Different strokes.

Cool to read so many others are loving ATS in VR. I never realised you can run ATS in dx9 or dx11 mode. How can you see if you're running VR in dx9 or dx11?

I've been playing around with a lot of different settings, since ATS can be so stunning on a normal screen, a lot of resolution gets lost in VR. But the only thing that helps agains shimmer/flicker for me is SS. I've been running ATS with 150SS and most ingame settings set to ultra/high. But allready around 150SS framerate can drop terribly in some situations.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 366 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 510 39.0%