AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

Yes I heard that too. Not really done much testing on this currently, still trying to get rig and repairs done before I venture out into the world of online streaming and content creation et al

Again, I really appreciate the feedback.

I just watched the 3900X launch review video on Gamers Nexus and Steve says it is definitely overkill unless one is streaming or doing production work.

Yes. This CPU and the 16 core variant are really intended for people who would have instead forked out on a Intel x299 system for productivity workflows. This is where they are great value. But not for gaming no. Yes you get a slight improvement in boost clocks because of the higher binning but you are talking about single digit FPS improvements. It's a toss up between the 3600x, 3700x and 3800x if you want the best framerate headroom for your 1080ti. If you have good cooling and want to overclock 3800x will get the highest clocks as its a higher quality bin but it is marginal.

You also need to factor in getting 3200 C14 or 3600 C16 RAM to make the most of it because of how the chiplet to IO die design works.

Streaming is only worth getting a 3900x if you want to encode high quality game stream video in x264 (i,e, on the CPU and not the GPU) on say OBS.

I think the 3600X/3700X are the best compromise in terms of cost per value. If you want to adventure through modeling, etc. the 3700x otherwise the 3600 should be enough.
MB wise look to the Asus TUF X570. It has a decent price, and very good VRMs that will ensure that you take the max performance out of your CPU.

I think the 3600X/3700X are the best compromise in terms of cost per value. If you want to adventure through modeling, etc. the 3700x otherwise the 3600 should be enough.
MB wise look to the Asus TUF X570. It has a decent price, and very good VRMs that will ensure that you take the max performance out of your CPU.
I chose the 3700X ($279 USD plus 3 months free on Xbox One for PC) and paired it with the MSI x570-A Pro ($139USD). I still need to locate a quality used 1080 ti and felt the extra $50 not spent on an MB with features I will likely never used would be better used for the GPU.

I don't see overclocking or other extensive PC adjustments in my future; I will be lucky if I can figure out how to download, file and implement mod tracks and cars!

:confused: Aussie dollar has dropped to 58C US

Forget PC upgrades guys and gals

3 parts from my gaming tower:
3900X + $80 !
Phanteks case + $100 !!!
Phanteks PSU + $80 !!!

I could sell my 2019 towers for what I paid for them :coffee:

Anyone try this

Zenstates will boot at startup and no Master means you can disable Workstation in services

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I have question. I got a 3600 here with a GTX 2080. I noticed my GPU Usage never goes more than 60/65%. Im using a Triple Screen Setup 5760x1080.
This only happens on iRacing. On other SIMs, the GPU usage reaches 99% easily, ACC/AMS2.

My question is: is Racing not using my CPU as a design flaw or is my 3600 clockspeed bottle-necking my GPU?
Does iracing only care about clockspeed?

Thanks.

I didn't test iRacing before, so I did set up a quick test drive session (can't race at the moment), and it seems to only be using one thread to a significant amount. So if that's true during a regular race as well, with a 2080, I can easily see it being CPU limited.

I didn't test iRacing before, so I did set up a quick test drive session (can't race at the moment), and it seems to only be using one thread to a significant amount. So if that's true during a regular race as well, with a 2080, I can easily see it being CPU limited.

Thanks Martin,
so do think a 3700x or 3800x would give me a significant better performance or intel rules on iRacing due to the higher clockspeed? Funny enough my friend has 8700K and 1080TI and GPU tops 90/100%.

I could consider getting a better AMD Cpu, but only if it this would make a difference.
Changing to Intel is out of question.

@Giovanni Lazzari If iRacing really is mostly single threaded, then no, I don't think 3700x or 3900x would give you significantly better performance. They have negligibly better single-threaded performance over your 3600.

At the same time, though...why are you focusing on GPU utilization so much? Is your in-game performance that bad? It's not necessarily a problem to have lower GPU utilization if the performance is fine otherwise. It simply means your GPU doesn't have to work as hard to achieve it, it doesn't mean there has to be something wrong. In fact in many situations it's good to have some GPU overhead.

Which also means that yes, of course your friend's 1080Ti would have higher GPU utilization - his GPU is not as powerful as yours, so it has to work harder to achieve similar performance. (Though there are obviously other factors in this, it's not a question of simply comparing the numbers.)

@Giovanni Lazzari If iRacing really is mostly single threaded, then no, I don't think 3700x or 3900x would give you significantly better performance. They have negligibly better single-threaded performance over your 3600.

At the same time, though...why are you focusing on GPU utilization so much? Is your in-game performance that bad? It's not necessarily a problem to have lower GPU utilization if the performance is fine otherwise. It simply means your GPU doesn't have to work as hard to achieve it, it doesn't mean there has to be something wrong. In fact in many situations it's good to have some GPU overhead.

Which also means that yes, of course your friend's 1080Ti would have higher GPU utilization - his GPU is not as powerful as yours, so it has to work harder to achieve similar performance. (Though there are obviously other factors in this, it's not a question of simply comparing the numbers.)

Thanks for the Reply Martin,

As we are both running on Triple Screen, 5760x1080, I would expect more GPU usage on my side. Also, he is getting about 15-25 fps more than me, so I was thinking is due to CPU bottle-necking my GPU. But as I said, this only happens on iRacing, probably due to its ancient engine. Modern games i have better performance than him or the same.

I might wait for the 4xxx Ryzens as it was announced higher clock speeds.

Hey Guys,

I have question. I got a 3600 here with a GTX 2080. I noticed my GPU Usage never goes more than 60/65%. Im using a Triple Screen Setup 5760x1080.
This only happens on iRacing. On other SIMs, the GPU usage reaches 99% easily, ACC/AMS2.

My question is: is Racing not using my CPU as a design flaw or is my 3600 clockspeed bottle-necking my GPU?
Does iracing only care about clockspeed?

Thanks.
How is the gaming experience overall?
Are you satisfied with what you see on screen...or is the complaint driven solely by the number you think you should be achieving?
I ask, simply because I too own the 3600 and it 'steam-rolls' through every sim I own to date...and that is with a simple GTX1080Ti.
Here's some footage from a large grid, wet, online race in ACC with that CPU.
It represents some of...if not the outright worst conditions you could put a CPU/GPU under.

This thread is gold, lots of good advice floating around. I currently run a 2600x with a 2070 and I’m pleased with the performance. VR is great on AC & rFactor2 and ACC on single screen runs a treat on high/ultra settings (still can’t get VR to work very well tho). However, I do keep toying with the idea of upgrading to a 3700x but will I see a noticeable increase in performance?

Does anyone know if ACC in triples would benefit from a 1080ti over a 2070s, or would it be best to just wait for the 3xxx series cards?

The race last night, which started off in the late afternoon with 38 drivers, and I was hovering around 55fps in the pack which climbed to 75fps once the pack had thinned out.
I have many settings turned down to achieve this and its very smooth, but can't help the idea that I'm missing out on all the nice looking graphics and effects...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 74 12.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 53 8.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.9%