AMD Eyefinity/Multiple monitors

faints....

minutes later

That is amazing technology. Steve cheers for the link. No more external device nor 3rd party softwares. Must say I am very excited by this. 1 card can power 6 monitors. I only need 3 monitors and I am sorted.

Been going thru this tech and for it to work 1 of the monitor has to be using displayport.

My question guys is this, if I have 3 screens which are DVI, would I be able to purchase a displayport to dvi adapter to make Eyefinity work? In theory it should right?

• Michel Salvador

i think yes abdul there wiol be adapter etc btw check this video ./

45 sec you can see displyport then going to adapter etc.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Vf8R_gOec&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

This looks like it should do the trick...
http://www.startech.com/item/DP2DVI-DisplayPort-to-DVI-Cable-Adapter.aspx

If you set this up we need pictures. :)
These cards sure do look sweet.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422.html

Check the section on Eyefinity...
The reviewer indicated that the card has:

The Radeon HD 5870 features three independent display outputs, divided out across two dual-link DVI ports, an HDMI output, and a DisplayPort connector. In a standard desktop environment, you’d use the two DVI and single DisplayPort outputs.

Maybe you could use the hdmi port with an hdmi to dvi adapter. That's I what I use with my tv/monitor, and no I don't have this card. :)

Radeon%20HD%205870%20Three%20Quarters.jpg

Steve that was a good read from the link. Thanks m8. Expect pictures to be posted as soon as I have it all setup.

I'll still need to get the displayport to dvi adapter based on this from the link...

DisplayPort is actually the enabler behind all of this. Unlike DVI, DisplayPort doesn’t require a dedicated clocking source for each output. So, all of the chips in ATI’s Evergreen family (with the exception of the lowest-end models) have the capability built-in to drive as many as six DisplayPorts given six on-die display controllers.

Thanks for the update... It sounds like display port is definitely the way to go.

Originally I was going to get a 4890, but after looking at the 58xx series I decided to hold off. They really sound sweet, but I'm not for sure I can fit a 58xx into my pc. I have one open pci slot next to my graphics slot which should be good enough for the double-width part, but may have a problem with my sata cable because the card will extend over it. Maybe a right angle sata connector will work, if they exist.

I saw a demo of this at Intel's Developers Conference last week. MIND BLOWING!!!!!!!!!! They had 1 card powering 6 22in monitors stacked 3x2. It looked amazing!!!! I want one!!

Yah, all monitors were connect through display ports.

Yes Michel... that is the bad boy.. when I spoke with the ATI guys they said the 6 monitors 3x2 setup will be about $1600... not a bad price for a 57600x2160 (1920x3 / 1080x2)

It sound like you'll need an active displayport converter...
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_hd_5870_performance_preview/page4.asp

If you don’t have a DisplayPort display but you do have three DVIs, you’ll have to purchase an active DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter with external power. ATI says an active adapter is needed to “convert the DisplayPort signal from the graphics card modify it to the new display signal required for the attached monitor, and for transmission.” Currently there’s only one such adapter on the market, Apple’s $109 adapter, but ATI says they’re working with more manufacturers to bring less expensive solutions to market beginning in Q4 of this year.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%