Amazing week in AC modding

123rem

@Simberia
What a week!

The release of the headlight mod, along with the release of the wet weather mod, has added so many new elements to Assetto Corsa. The most recent addition of 24 hour day-to-night transitions brings the options of Endurance Racing to all of us.

I drove a Caterham (mod) at night (mod) around Cadwell Park (mod) today and it was a fantastic thrill. Next up is the full 24 hour Le Mans experience, something I last tried in Gran Turismo 4 ten years ago.

My thanks to all those incredibly talented modders out there.

I remember reading more than one guy getting set straight for asking about rain and night because AC's architecture or something wasn't big enough and now these guys figure it out.
Are these guys smarter than Kunos?

It wouldn't surprise if Kunos was aware of creating a headlight effect using the shaders. The bigger issue is performance. Low to mid range machines can only run a few cars before frame rates drop below 60fps.

IMHO it makes much more sense to go with a proper game engine that can handle the full spectrum of lighting effects required for proper nighttime racing. While the shaders mod is nicely done, its a hack and like I said quite heavy on the machine with a full field of cars.

We should thank Kunos for making AC easily moddable, unlike something like GTA V which requires multiple applications to get mods working and even then it can be a challenge.

I haven't tried rain or night for that reason. AC is working very nice for me right now and hate to mess it up. Last weather mod I tried slowed things down and had some other funky things going on.
I don't mean to be down on mods but I think it helps understanding how this all works, which I don't.

I remember reading more than one guy getting set straight for asking about rain and night because AC's architecture or something wasn't big enough and now these guys figure it out.
I think Stefano has pretty much agreed on X4FAB being above his level...but more due to his level of reverse engineering the shaders for his cross splicing actions. It was never out of the cards for the original AC engine to somehow support weather and multiple light sources, but keeping performance up and also (as much as people hate it) console compatibility with it was the main issue.

nothing reverse engineering here, in ..\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\shaders\win you pretty much can change any shader you want, x4fab todo list: Replace all the shaders (23/32)
If it were that easy...why did it take modders four years to come up with their own shaders?
Yes the shaders are in that folder, but they are compiled, and Kunos did not add a handy SDK for them.

Lord Kunos is just as baffled and amazed as the rest of us, I stand (sim race) corrected, hahaha

LKunos.JPG

Different tolerances of compromise. If it's a mod it only needs to work on 1 PC, if it's official they need to support it on every PC that has AC installed. If it's a mod it doesn't need to even try to be physically accurate (looking at rain mods here) if it's official they need to add rain physics to every tire and test them all.

Headlight shader mod v0.1.20 is available. Prepare to have your minds blown.

v0.1.20 • Configs for cars, plus main config with some general settings; • Tyres damage and deformation (doesn’t work in replays); • Default light range in increased to 240 meters; • Set AC to work on a secondary monitor if needed; • Small fixes and optimizations.

Last edited:
This thread just proves I'm not going crazy.
I thought paranoia was kicking in and I was imagining the sudden and substantial rate increase of development by third party modders...no less.
Crikey..I'm still trying to come to terms with a small bit of what Content Manager has to offer.
We've got a weather suite, a Re-shade, a headlight mod, a smoke mod, a day/night mod....just to name a few.
It's almost a bit overwhelming...it was that fast.
Thanks to all the parties involved though.
Having just now taken one of the Seat TCR cars to Montreal in the 'dead' of night, I can say it's like a new game has just been released.
It's a whole different perspective.

As I wrote on the AC stuff forum

Maybe this could be helpful: in order to see replays with night I have, prior to load a replay, drive in Practice or Hotlap, ... If I don't do this the replay has the lights on but is at daytime.

One weird thing is that lights with post-processing in replays at night have a super glare blurry effect.

with pp:

without pp:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 116 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 301 27.7%