Am I the only one who don't understand why people like AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a bit disturbed after having played a few hours to AC (on PC with a G27).

I love racing games of all kinds and it's very rare I don't like a good game. I've had a lot of fun on simcades like GRID and GT6, I've started realsims a few weeks ago with GSCE and AMS, and I have so much fun with them. I've also tested and liked R3E, GTR2, rF2 and RACE07.
I've spent my weekend configuring and testing AC, I've tested at least 20 cars (core content + a few mods, race cars and road cars) during more than 5 hours. I've tried hard to like it, but I think I like almost nothing in it.

Almost all cars I've tested seems to weigh 3 tons, everything seems so sluggish. I don't really feel the acceleration, they don't brake well (I've to brake earlier on AC with ABS than in AMS without ABS on the same car, and braking without ABS on cars which have ABS is a pain in the ass, even after having increased the brakes gamma), they don't turn well (not so much grip), and there is not much feedbacks from the road.

And perhaps the main problem, perhaps what makes me feels it's so sluggish, is the engine sounds. Most I've heard feel so artificial, completely liveless, and often closer to a mower than a car. I've not heard anything that bad in 10 years, feels like a (not so good) 90's game.
And as if it was not enough, they've added a huge muffled effect (even on the outside sound...), which mask the power of the engine, even for the rare cars with a not to bad engine sound.

I'm completely amazed when I see videos of "the best engine sounds in AC" with comments like "It sounds better than IRL"... Did they ever have heard any real powerfull car or any engine sound from any other good game?

I remember my first lap on the Nordschleife with a Z4 on GT6, it was so fun, very grippy, fast passed. I've done 2 laps on the Nordschleife with a GT3 on AC and it was not that fun at all (even if I've liked the details of the laser scanned road).
Last 2 days, after having passed 2 hours testing cars on AC, I did a few laps of some of the same cars on the same track on AMS, it was a few laps of fun after 2 boring hours...

I could think that the success comes from gamers which discover realsims with AC, but I see many people playing with other realsims who like also AC, which seems almost impossible to me.

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

Even at higher framerates the lag is more noticeable than ISI based sims and iRacing. At least it is for me, though I am particularly sensible to this.
I've also noticed this. It's only very slight, but there is a noticeable input lag compared to something like AMS or rF2. Hardly a game breaking issue or anything like that given that it's such a small delay, but after a while of playing AMS, there's definitely a noticeable input lag in AC.

Yes, it's a very slight lag, some people who are not that sensitive wouldn't even notice it. But it's so crucial when you're driving a car at it's limit.

Many people can't explain why AMS feels so good. To me, the reason is because of it's close to 0 input lag, together with higher frequency physics and FFB, it makes the car feel connected and in control.

The Post and Title

Since I'm the first to really point it out, am I the only one who doesn't understand why people start a thread with "Am I the only one..." ?? I mean really, if you want to start the thread off on a negative note, then have at it. I personally (since were all voicing opinions) thought that was snarky and really a waste of time and energy that got everyone's "pants" in a wad. Might I suggest ask questions if you have a problem first than jump to negative remarks. What should have been done is asked the following instead:

"I'm having some problems connecting and getting immersed in Assetto." "I've drove all these games before and here's why I can't seem to connect..." "Am I the only one that has this issue?" "Is there something that can make the experience better perhaps?"

INSTEAD, this brought out all the cockroaches. I see more negative posts here from people that have nothing constructive to say only that "the sim sucks and here's why" to "picking fights with people and making it more personal than it should be. Bravo in waking up those people that have nothing good to say in the Assetto Corsa forums.

Personally....

I've had experience with sims since GTR (original and 2), and there's been leaps and bounds in Sims, much to the same credit of how much GT (Gran Tourismo) has evolved. So to me, my opinion of the things most here are complaining about, you sound like a bunch of spoiled brats with no relative experience or taking an objective stand point.

Coming from "simcades" at one point, I can see where he does comes from. Sims are obtuse in comparison. They don't handle like you want them to, "you can't get good grip", you can't "feel" this or that.... one can go on for days really.

Then there's that one game you seem to be successful at, and it gets your seal of approval. I saw this a lot with Pcars to be fair.

Well how does it compare to the real world? What kind of background can one compare something to?

Basically put, if you've never felt your ribs and body aching for a week after the track, then I'd say your opinion is just that. An opinion, and not well founded at that. Lack of basis. And I'm not just talking to the original poster here. Sure there's bound to be something that can't be felt in these games to be honest. But you know what I can feel with my Fanatec GT2 wheel and ClubSport V3 pedals? Exceptionally close to the real thing in many cases, and I don't even have the best wheel out there.

What have I tried besides my own wheel in Assetto?
T500 w/458 wheel, G27, OSW, Fanatec Clubsport base (V1 & V2, with F1 style wheel and GT wheel), Fanatec GT3, MoMo Racing, etc
A lot I can say.

On the bit about my ribs....yep, there's been many times I've come back from the track and my body is aching and I lost about 20lbs in water weight. Now granted I'm not a professional racer and the times I've been to the track can be counted on all my fingers and toes, but it gives me an "objective base". I know what it feels like in a spec miata racer, I know what it feels like in a m3 (e36 & e46) that's track prepared and how different they feel between DOT approved track tires and a few varieties in rubber compounds. I know when tires are to temperature and I've been through HPDE.

Basically I've been around a few times in something other than what one would drive to work in.

And no it's nothing like Gran Turismo. Sure AMS feels good but does it translate well with IRL as much as Assetto. Nope I really don't think so. It simulates well in it's own regard....but I'd say its the gap between Pcars and Assetto. Still feels slightly aided.

What do I think is more like "real life", iRacing...but it's by a "smidge" and even it has it's issues with "translation". And I mean a smidgen beyond Assetto. But I don't think any of the aforementioned, even GT as being horrible. Why, because I'm not someone that thinks like that. I don't buy into trends, nor jump on the hate bandwagon. Ultimately I try to find the problem in the situation.

The Fix

Now I was curious and I took a look at another posting of his, (yes I looked, as I was curious as whether this was a fake account or what this guy's motive was) and I saw something interesting...

i5-2500k with a 560Ti

Now first off I'm not ridiculing PC specs... That's not the case and point of this.

If you are trying to play Assetto with an i5-2500k and a 560Ti, that's where you're wrong.
You're bound to have some input lag, FFB issues, and issues "connecting". If you think FFB and other elements are not going to be affected by the fact your system may not run the game effectively, then it's probably best to go back to consoles or start looking at things from an open mind.

If I'm having issues playing Assetto on an i5-3570 with a 660Ti, I'm sure you're going to have quite a few. Let's be clear, this is what a friend's PC was. We later upgraded him to an AMD FX-8120 with a 380x (budget minded gaming PC). This was a world of difference at 1080P with medium to moderate graphics settings. If it played that much more funky for me, I can only imagine your troubles. Plus I don't even know if you even tried to down clock your settings?? For all I know you're running some FX mod and running the game as high as you can.

For me going from an AMD 955 BE and a Radeon 7950 (when I first started playing AC), to a FX-9590 and a 390X is a world of difference, especially when it came to FFB and connecting with the game.

I think that's most of your problem or heavily relating to it.

Of course others will disagree.

Was long and a lot to cover there.

• Deleted member 130869

I had a 560 Ti when AC came out and I got it to run fine, that was one of the nice aspects of it - the game looked good enough within the parameters I had to play (hotlapping). It didn't impact inputs. No change in steering wheel.

The Post and Title

Since I'm the first to really point it out, am I the only one who doesn't understand why people start a thread with "Am I the only one..." ?? I mean really, if you want to start the thread off on a negative note, then have at it. I personally (since were all voicing opinions) thought that was snarky and really a waste of time and energy that got everyone's "pants" in a wad. Might I suggest ask questions if you have a problem first than jump to negative remarks. What should have been done is asked the following instead:

"I'm having some problems connecting and getting immersed in Assetto." "I've drove all these games before and here's why I can't seem to connect..." "Am I the only one that has this issue?" "Is there something that can make the experience better perhaps?"

INSTEAD, this brought out all the cockroaches. I see more negative posts here from people that have nothing constructive to say only that "the sim sucks and here's why" to "picking fights with people and making it more personal than it should be. Bravo in waking up those people that have nothing good to say in the Assetto Corsa forums.

Personally....

I've had experience with sims since GTR (original and 2), and there's been leaps and bounds in Sims, much to the same credit of how much GT (Gran Tourismo) has evolved. So to me, my opinion of the things most here are complaining about, you sound like a bunch of spoiled brats with no relative experience or taking an objective stand point.

Coming from "simcades" at one point, I can see where he does comes from. Sims are obtuse in comparison. They don't handle like you want them to, "you can't get good grip", you can't "feel" this or that.... one can go on for days really.

Then there's that one game you seem to be successful at, and it gets your seal of approval. I saw this a lot with Pcars to be fair.

Well how does it compare to the real world? What kind of background can one compare something to?

Basically put, if you've never felt your ribs and body aching for a week after the track, then I'd say your opinion is just that. An opinion, and not well founded at that. Lack of basis. And I'm not just talking to the original poster here. Sure there's bound to be something that can't be felt in these games to be honest. But you know what I can feel with my Fanatec GT2 wheel and ClubSport V3 pedals? Exceptionally close to the real thing in many cases, and I don't even have the best wheel out there.

What have I tried besides my own wheel in Assetto?
T500 w/458 wheel, G27, OSW, Fanatec Clubsport base (V1 & V2, with F1 style wheel and GT wheel), Fanatec GT3, MoMo Racing, etc
A lot I can say.

On the bit about my ribs....yep, there's been many times I've come back from the track and my body is aching and I lost about 20lbs in water weight. Now granted I'm not a professional racer and the times I've been to the track can be counted on all my fingers and toes, but it gives me an "objective base". I know what it feels like in a spec miata racer, I know what it feels like in a m3 (e36 & e46) that's track prepared and how different they feel between DOT approved track tires and a few varieties in rubber compounds. I know when tires are to temperature and I've been through HPDE.

Basically I've been around a few times in something other than what one would drive to work in.

And no it's nothing like Gran Turismo. Sure AMS feels good but does it translate well with IRL as much as Assetto. Nope I really don't think so. It simulates well in it's own regard....but I'd say its the gap between Pcars and Assetto. Still feels slightly aided.

What do I think is more like "real life", iRacing...but it's by a "smidge" and even it has it's issues with "translation". And I mean a smidgen beyond Assetto. But I don't think any of the aforementioned, even GT as being horrible. Why, because I'm not someone that thinks like that. I don't buy into trends, nor jump on the hate bandwagon. Ultimately I try to find the problem in the situation.

The Fix

Now I was curious and I took a look at another posting of his, (yes I looked, as I was curious as whether this was a fake account or what this guy's motive was) and I saw something interesting...

i5-2500k with a 560Ti

Now first off I'm not ridiculing PC specs... That's not the case and point of this.

If you are trying to play Assetto with an i5-2500k and a 560Ti, that's where you're wrong.
You're bound to have some input lag, FFB issues, and issues "connecting". If you think FFB and other elements are not going to be affected by the fact your system may not run the game effectively, then it's probably best to go back to consoles or start looking at things from an open mind.

If I'm having issues playing Assetto on an i5-3570 with a 660Ti, I'm sure you're going to have quite a few. Let's be clear, this is what a friend's PC was. We later upgraded him to an AMD FX-8120 with a 380x (budget minded gaming PC). This was a world of difference at 1080P with medium to moderate graphics settings. If it played that much more funky for me, I can only imagine your troubles. Plus I don't even know if you even tried to down clock your settings?? For all I know you're running some FX mod and running the game as high as you can.

For me going from an AMD 955 BE and a Radeon 7950 (when I first started playing AC), to a FX-9590 and a 390X is a world of difference, especially when it came to FFB and connecting with the game.

I think that's most of your problem or heavily relating to it.

Of course others will disagree.

Was long and a lot to cover there.

Given ISI motor is DX9 ergo less optimised than AC on DX11 I disagree.

The engine in AC is flawed in the sense that the understeer nature is virtue to the fact that you enter corners at mach1 thinking your going a lot less as any immersion is non existent.

Each to their own, but until Kunos resolve this if they can it will be shelved.

The current tyre model 10 is the worst of the lot

Then I'll have to say yes, of course it's my opinion.

I know AC's AI is not all that great but I played an all GT4 field just to test out the cars and that felt awesome to drive.

Of course, opinions diverge. You might have your reasons to dislike AC and I'm completely fine with it but of course not all people feel the same way.

Well, if AC doesn´t click with you, why bother asking why it doesn´t so?

I´m puzzled by many answers in the thread, like it takes many hours to setup or many many hours of racing to learn to really enjoy it. BS I say.
If you appreciate the bare physics, which the techpreview showcased back then perfectly, then you´re probably still on the AC train. If not, who cares? I have a friend that still tries to win me over to pCars, with 900+ hours in it, while I´ve simple stopped explaining why I don´t want to play it.
You click or you don´t, else you´re just lying to yourself.

best

FFB clip, FFB calibration, input lag, graphics, wheel deadzone, micro stuttering, shadow flickering, graphics tearing, framerate fluctuation, my sim has better physics than yours, blah blah blah.

Am I the only one who thinks ALL these "issues" above are extremely minor and totally trivial compared with the real problem of "Can you please just play and participate in whatever sim?"

Also AC is more popular/has more active players than most of its competitors at the moment. That is just a fact. I don't see any point to argue against a fact or any chance arguing on a forum alone can somehow nullify a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back