Am I the only one who don't understand why people like AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a bit disturbed after having played a few hours to AC (on PC with a G27).

I love racing games of all kinds and it's very rare I don't like a good game. I've had a lot of fun on simcades like GRID and GT6, I've started realsims a few weeks ago with GSCE and AMS, and I have so much fun with them. I've also tested and liked R3E, GTR2, rF2 and RACE07.
I've spent my weekend configuring and testing AC, I've tested at least 20 cars (core content + a few mods, race cars and road cars) during more than 5 hours. I've tried hard to like it, but I think I like almost nothing in it.

Almost all cars I've tested seems to weigh 3 tons, everything seems so sluggish. I don't really feel the acceleration, they don't brake well (I've to brake earlier on AC with ABS than in AMS without ABS on the same car, and braking without ABS on cars which have ABS is a pain in the ass, even after having increased the brakes gamma), they don't turn well (not so much grip), and there is not much feedbacks from the road.

And perhaps the main problem, perhaps what makes me feels it's so sluggish, is the engine sounds. Most I've heard feel so artificial, completely liveless, and often closer to a mower than a car. I've not heard anything that bad in 10 years, feels like a (not so good) 90's game.
And as if it was not enough, they've added a huge muffled effect (even on the outside sound...), which mask the power of the engine, even for the rare cars with a not to bad engine sound.

I'm completely amazed when I see videos of "the best engine sounds in AC" with comments like "It sounds better than IRL"... Did they ever have heard any real powerfull car or any engine sound from any other good game?

I remember my first lap on the Nordschleife with a Z4 on GT6, it was so fun, very grippy, fast passed. I've done 2 laps on the Nordschleife with a GT3 on AC and it was not that fun at all (even if I've liked the details of the laser scanned road).
Last 2 days, after having passed 2 hours testing cars on AC, I did a few laps of some of the same cars on the same track on AMS, it was a few laps of fun after 2 boring hours...

I could think that the success comes from gamers which discover realsims with AC, but I see many people playing with other realsims who like also AC, which seems almost impossible to me.

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

Shadows are decently borked and flickers are present in pretty much every game I own so I don't spend much time trying to get rid of something that isn't going to happen. Anyways, I thought this thread was discussing physics/ffb, not graphics.

BTW, if I am a fanboy for expressing my pleasure with AC, while in an AC forum, what is the name for the guys that are constantly telling everybody how much better X sim is, also while in an AC forum? (I know what I would get called if I started, or participated in, a similar thread to this in the RF2 or AMS section of RD)

I am glad AC/AMS/rF2/iRacing etc more choice the better.

Everyone has their own preferences.

We can talk crap about AC/iRacing/AMS etc but at end of the day its your own choice what you play and enjoy.

Btw these threads always end up with people getting banned.

Two extreme sides arguing over nothing.

as a g27 user i do recognize i hate that big hole in the center of the wheel... but that is the g27s fault and not AC's....

after i used the lut generator and got rid of the center ffb hole it was like using a complete different wheel and i could catch slides wayyy wayyy better... improving my feel and enjoyment at least 50% ... just saying..

lut generator

Hi, my name is Pablo, I am a fanboy.... of good entertainment, Assetto Corsa has ruined my video game time, i barely touch tetris attack anymore :cry:. I keep having to explain why i cant only play this for 20 minutes and be cool with it... there are at least 20 cars / 5 tracks i have not touched in the last year.. they keep adding more and more :(.. modded oldies..modded rally stages... old cars... japaneese monsters... porsche hordes... crew cheif apps, the freaking thing talks in my head while i drive!:confused:... h e l p.

And a massive fanboi. I am pretty sure you spent a bit of time on the wheel at one point, but hey, who cares. If it is 1.5 hours for you, good luck to you.

So I'm a massive fanboy too because it took me about the same time as Michael to setup my wheel and the game the way I like it?

So it's fair to call you a hater because it took you so long?

I have about the same time in both AC and AMS and they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

AC wins hands down on licensed cars especially GT3 and road cars which aren't even really a thing in AMS. AMS has a great selection of non-GT3 race cars though.

AC looks better although not by as much as most people think. Personally I find the track and kerb textures in AMS to have more life and variation in them. Driving Silverstone in AC last night and I really noticed how uniform and bland the track surface looks.

FFB is good in both sims but I think AMS does a better job at communicating things through the wheel that real world drivers feel though their butts. Things like weight transfer and small balance transitions that I don't really feel in AC.

I think anyone who enjoys simracing should find space for both AC and AMS on their hard drives.

sometimes the problem sits in front of the computer:rolleyes:

setting up AC was pretty much straight forward and easy, not like for example rF where you have to fiddle around with mods and have to edit files to get the feeling right

I don't mind other racing sims, I like some of them a lot, but it's AC I like the most at the moment and this makes me a fanboy (?)

you don't like AC, that's fine by me but I suggest that you go and play those racing sims you like instead of wasting time telling everybody how much you do not like AC - I mean, what do you gain by doing so? :O_o:

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

You do miss all the pleasure those people get. But there's nothing to be disturbed about as you enjoy other games. We are all different and we react differently to subtle variances, especially in 'feel' department.

I don't like sushi. Most of my friends do. I know I am missing some enjoyment, but there's plenty of other food I like so I accept sushi is not my thing and I don't feel disturbed anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back