Am I doomed to get flappy-paddles?

When I built my rig, I had decided that I wanted to put a little focus on cars from around the 70's or so. Therefore, I eschewed flappy-paddles and button boxes in favor of a stick-only solution, which I've enjoyed.

However, I've come to realize that more modern cars, with much better aerodynamic control, can be a lot of fun too. The F2004 in AC, for example, with its massive down-force, is ridiculous fun. But shifting that car and the like with a stick shift is not easy. Modern F1 really does demand paddles.

So, I'm doomed, and gear acquisition syndrome will inevitably cause an Ascher B16M-SC or the like to land on my doorstep, right? ;) How many of you drive modern F1 with a stick only?

Last edited:
Or you can also go with an even more interesting and weird option and drive those cars with rally-style static paddles or push-pull paddles so you don't have to get a full-on button box - although you will still end up with a disadvantage that you cannot change brake bias, engine maps etc easily.

Upvote 0
Does the 2004 already have paddles?

In the Skippy Leage I drive with a sequential stick which puts me at a disadvantage as I have to take a hand from the wheel while the others do the "girly thing" with their fingers.

But it´s period correct for the car irl and we can´t win a cold pot of coffee, so what??

This could delay the button box and safe money ( only short term) because usable sticks cost around 200 € ( Heusinkfeld, Aiologs): You could of course get crazy and go Prosim and accomplices.

If it gets to online competions in the end you´ll need a buttonbox with buttons and encoders, to be competetive then it will be:

"YOU SIR ARE DOOMED TO USE FLAPPY PADDLES" without getting out of jail free :(

So, whats it gonna be, friend??

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Yes, the 2004 already had a full-on-crazy button box and flappy paddles.

I prefer authenticity, but I'm not completely religious about it. I went with the Heusinkveld sequential as the momma-bear compromise (I have the rest of their stuff too, and preferred it over say the Fanatec H-pattern). It's a neat little thing, and I had hoped it would suffice.

I'm also not into competition, which actually means I'm so competitive that I dare not compete against real people lest I throw something through a window. I'm super into chess as well, but same thing: I only play against AI (friends playing in real life are an exception - then, at least, I can be a good loser). But I can see how competing could drive one to want the paddles and buttons to keep up.

But you reminded me: I want that Prosim shifter way more than the flappy paddles! I'm so doomed! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 194 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 379 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing