Am I being unreasonable for wanting what I paid for? I welcome your opinions.

Marcus Miller

Crocbait
I quit my iRacing membership, then rejoined. My letter to iRacing explains my situation of having essentially two memberships, though I am still the same person. I have paid for most if not all of the oval track content (a LOT of money) on the original membership, which I joined about a year after iRacing was originally founded. iRacing is very (too?) expensive, and I just seek what I paid for. Here was my email to iRacing.

"I have been a member since 2009. I quit my membership a couple of years ago due to not having the time to devote iRacing and the necessary training. I have since retired, and now I DO have the time to work on improving. I also purchased a full years membership to iRacing, as well as a full years PREMIUM membership to VRS.
When I signed back up, I was told I had to start a new membership since I don’t have the old credentials. I have since recovered those credentials, and own a great deal of content that I don’t expect to pay for again. My original membership is activated again, and I seem to have most if not all of my original content.

So my obvious problems…I have content that I paid for on the more recent membership, as well as paying for a yearly subscription. I also can’t get the paid subscription to VRS to sync with my old (the one I’m keeping) iRacing membership. As an example, I have a car and track combo in the Xfinity series this week where I own the car on the newer membership, but the track on the older membership.
Obviously, I need you to port my paid content from the NEW membership to the ORIGINAL membership. Also, my original membership didn’t have a number after my name.
Both of my present memberships are accessible to me and I have the passwords and emails linked.

Newer:
crocbait@outlook.com
Marcus Miller2

Older (and the one I want to keep):
Marcus Miller
crocbait@att.net

You can also delete any race records of 259266 if that helps.
You can port the subscription premium from the newer membership (259266) to the original membership (38289), as well as content from 259266 that I don’t have on 38289, and delete 259266 afterwards, as I’m sure you wouldn’t want to ban me on one only to have me race on the other : )

If you need a list of that content that I need ported, I will provide it. By the way, any content that I thus far have already paid twice for, I am not concerned about. Of course, I would not expect to double pay for content now that you have been made aware of the problem. And please help VRS to sync this stuff up, as there are problems with that as well.

Thank you very much for your help.

Not Marcus Miller2"

This was iRacings response....

"Hi Marcus,
We are very sorry but we can not move anything over from one account to another or merge accounts.
Sincerely,
iRacing"

I shouldn't think adding content and subscription length (paid for) to a membership wouldn't be electronically doable. But maybe I deserve to loose my content because I quit and then came back. So a seek your feedback, and thanks for any responses.

Marcus Miller (not Marcus Miller2)

No that sucks, they (almost) definitely could help you. They’re choosing not to because they don’t want to start the precedent of merging accounts for customers. If they did it for you they’d have to do it for others. Sorry Marcus :(

This probably doesnt help you but could maybe get some of your money back.
If you have or find a friend interested in sim racing you could offer him one of your memberships.:thumbsup:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: The one that is not you;)

I think if you asked 2 or 3 different people in different ways you may find one who could do your request.

I assume they don't want to do it because it takes effort and could open the door to a scam, or they do not have a heart.

They also probably consider it your responsibility for losing your login and starting a new account, even if you were poorly signposted.

But I agree there are other ways you could take the loss like offering your membership to someone else.

They also probably consider it your responsibility for losing your login and starting a new account, even if you were poorly signposted.

But I agree there are other ways you could take the loss like offering your membership to someone else.

But any half-decent customer support organisation wouldn't just automatically blame the customer, particularly if they could prove they had 2 legitimate accounts and so wasn't just scamming. Surely it can't be that difficult for them to just close one account and "credit" the DLC to the other? This sounds much more like they couldn't be bothered than that it couldn't be done. Why should he even need to consider offering his account to someone else? Wouldn't that be a breach of the iRacing Ts & Cs?

But any half-decent customer support organisation wouldn't just automatically blame the customer, particularly if they could prove they had 2 legitimate accounts and so wasn't just scamming. Surely it can't be that difficult for them to just close one account and "credit" the DLC to the other? This sounds much more like they couldn't be bothered than that it couldn't be done. Why should he even need to consider offering his account to someone else? Wouldn't that be a breach of the iRacing Ts & Cs?

There are many things wrong with iRacing. Firstly, the subscription model is a joke and paying extra for any cars or tracks is a joke. Secondly, the login details are harder to remember than most sites because of abnormally high password restrictions. Thirdly, the ability not to have a name other than your payment details name.

Now, all of that said, the dude was in my opinion unreasonably directed in the first place in setting up a new account. That was in my opinion the fault of iRacing and **** signposting.

Yes, I would be willing to testify to that in high court. However, please show me a half-decent customer support organisation. Please show me a working model system. Please show me fairness. Please show me them ever admitting that and not weaselling out of it without you mindlessly banging on about it and photocopying evidence after evidence.

If you can fight your way through a complaint department, good. If you are not able to I am fairly certain if a loving God exists that they would forgive you.

Why should he give a **** about iRacing Ts & Cs when they don't give a **** about him? It is not his fault if they have **** customer service and he didn't have the perseverance of a ruthless warrior or the cunning smarts of a fox.

The problem started a long time ago. It is impossible to fix unless you butter someone up and get them on your side because ultimately he is wanting a better service that they are clearly not capable of providing and going down the it's not fair route doesn't work when they have all of your money and all of the service and none of the incentive.

I said in the post if he can ask a couple more people in a couple more different ways it may be able to be done. No, it is not unreasonable to request a change. However, it is a bit naive to expect the company to comply without more force or taking them to a court of some kind which I assume most people couldn't actually be bothered to do for the sake of a half-hearted sim racing membership.

I don't know the difficulty or the level of couldn't be bothered vs. couldn't be done. If you do know it then write an appropriate angry email on OP's behalf and stop shooting the messenger providing various angles of perspective.

Have you started a thread in the iracing forms?
You'd probably get some better help than posting it here.
Are both your accounts purchased through the iracing site?

One of the reasons and I could be totally wrong on why they won't merge your accounts could partially be due to the hundreds of users over the yrs that come and go starting up new accounts every time using promo codes or the 50% off new members cost rather than paying the full cost on their original account.

I had a similar issue yrs back, I signed up on the iracing site like the majority of users than the game became available on steam where I found the subscription cost to be $50 CAD less a yr than purchasing in USD through the site.
When I asked if I could merge my account to the steam one I was told it wasn't possible due to something in steam...can't remember, but was told I would have to start a new membership.

There are many things wrong with iRacing. Firstly, the subscription model is a joke and paying extra for any cars or tracks is a joke. Secondly, the login details are harder to remember than most sites because of abnormally high password restrictions. Thirdly, the ability not to have a name other than your payment details name.

Now, all of that said, the dude was in my opinion unreasonably directed in the first place in setting up a new account. That was in my opinion the fault of iRacing and **** signposting.

Yes, I would be willing to testify to that in high court. However, please show me a half-decent customer support organisation. Please show me a working model system. Please show me fairness. Please show me them ever admitting that and not weaselling out of it without you mindlessly banging on about it and photocopying evidence after evidence.

If you can fight your way through a complaint department, good. If you are not able to I am fairly certain if a loving God exists that they would forgive you.

Why should he give a **** about iRacing Ts & Cs when they don't give a **** about him? It is not his fault if they have **** customer service and he didn't have the perseverance of a ruthless warrior or the cunning smarts of a fox.

The problem started a long time ago. It is impossible to fix unless you butter someone up and get them on your side because ultimately he is wanting a better service that they are clearly not capable of providing and going down the it's not fair route doesn't work when they have all of your money and all of the service and none of the incentive.

I said in the post if he can ask a couple more people in a couple more different ways it may be able to be done. No, it is not unreasonable to request a change. However, it is a bit naive to expect the company to comply without more force or taking them to a court of some kind which I assume most people couldn't actually be bothered to do for the sake of a half-hearted sim racing membership.

I don't know the difficulty or the level of couldn't be bothered vs. couldn't be done. If you do know it then write an appropriate angry email on OP's behalf and stop shooting the messenger providing various angles of perspective.

I loved that response! In all honesty, I didn't see any responses for a bit, so I thought the thread had extinguished itself, so I didn't give the thread a look for a while. I apologize to anyone expecting to at least hear a peep out of me!

That being said, lately I have put more time into AMS2, which I think drives more like a race car would be expected. I am a slow sim racer. But on that sim, I feel like I am seeing progression in my learning the nuances of car control. When I loose control, I am always left with a feeling that I pushed too hard or made improper input in some way. I am never left guessing what I did wrong. I have not delved into setups much, but what little I HAVE done didn't seem to lead to much improvement in iRacing, and often even made me more crash prone. I have been encouraged to give setups a try in AMS2. I needed a guide, so I used Chris Haye's wonderful, free, and printable setup guide (as I did in iRacing). Sure enough, I was able to knock off a couple of seconds with changes I made using the guide, with a Stock Car Brazil/Interlogos track and car combo. (I WAS aware that in iRacing or any other sims, one must be consistant before setup changes will work). The point being that I could feel subtle changes in my FF wheel (Thrustmaster PC Racer) in a different sim that I couldn't feel in iRacing. It seems like in iRacing, I'm either golden, or wrecking. I can't feel the back end starting to come around until I'm already facing oncoming traffic. I also have been able to make skill set and and setup improvements in ACC, although I feel that sim is sort of between iRacing and AMS2 as far as FF feel is concerned.

I realize these complaints about handling in iRacing come at the convenient time when I am mad at them! But if it's true, it doesn't matter if it's a convenient time or not, eh?

So, I haven't really given iRacing a look since I got angry and started putting more time in other sims. What I payed for the beta version of Automobilista 2, I would have only got a car and track combo in iRacing. I don't think I want the hassle of trying to beg, convince, or fight with iRacing over this matter. I am having such a blast with these other sims, why bother? Yes, I have already spent hundreds on iRacing (as well as Virtual Racing School). No doubt, if I stick with iRacing I will spend hundreds more. I won't yet commit to this, but I will not be surprised if I've spent my last dime on iRacing.

I loved that response! In all honesty, I didn't see any responses for a bit, so I thought the thread had extinguished itself, so I didn't give the thread a look for a while. I apologize to anyone expecting to at least hear a peep out of me!

That being said, lately I have put more time into AMS2, which I think drives more like a race car would be expected. I am a slow sim racer. But on that sim, I feel like I am seeing progression in my learning the nuances of car control. When I loose control, I am always left with a feeling that I pushed too hard or made improper input in some way. I am never left guessing what I did wrong. I have not delved into setups much, but what little I HAVE done didn't seem to lead to much improvement in iRacing, and often even made me more crash prone. I have been encouraged to give setups a try in AMS2. I needed a guide, so I used Chris Haye's wonderful, free, and printable setup guide (as I did in iRacing). Sure enough, I was able to knock off a couple of seconds with changes I made using the guide, with a Stock Car Brazil/Interlogos track and car combo. (I WAS aware that in iRacing or any other sims, one must be consistant before setup changes will work). The point being that I could feel subtle changes in my FF wheel (Thrustmaster PC Racer) in a different sim that I couldn't feel in iRacing. It seems like in iRacing, I'm either golden, or wrecking. I can't feel the back end starting to come around until I'm already facing oncoming traffic. I also have been able to make skill set and and setup improvements in ACC, although I feel that sim is sort of between iRacing and AMS2 as far as FF feel is concerned.

I realize these complaints about handling in iRacing come at the convenient time when I am mad at them! But if it's true, it doesn't matter if it's a convenient time or not, eh?

So, I haven't really given iRacing a look since I got angry and started putting more time in other sims. What I payed for the beta version of Automobilista 2, I would have only got a car and track combo in iRacing. I don't think I want the hassle of trying to beg, convince, or fight with iRacing over this matter. I am having such a blast with these other sims, why bother? Yes, I have already spent hundreds on iRacing (as well as Virtual Racing School). No doubt, if I stick with iRacing I will spend hundreds more. I won't yet commit to this, but I will not be surprised if I've spent my last dime on iRacing.
One more thing, I agree I should have been able to renew my original account with my original content that I payed for, with my real name. You are spot on!

To update this discussion...I wanted to race some ovals, so I broke down and paid for a subscription on the old membership (where I had a "A" rating and all of the oval content). I wouldn't have started a new subscription had I known I could do that. I was of the belief that if you quit, your done. That was my mistake, and I feel like an idiot for not at least trying it out. That one is on me and not iRacing.

And waddaya know...I have all of the content of the other membership as well as the original. This included the "C" road rating as well as the road cars. I had to amend my original post in all fairness to iRacing. I wish iRacing would have just done that to begin with. However, now I'm happy:)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 209 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 213 14.4%