Alpine 1100 @ Mondello Park - Thu 26th Jan 2012

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyertc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: Renault Alpine 110 (download / update)
Track: Mondello National / International

Practice start time: GMT 20.00
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (16 laps)
---------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 20.50
Qualification start time: GMT 21.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.20 (16 laps)

Note1: Default skins that come with the mod only.
Note2: We will no longer be adding people as "maybe" or "possibles" - you sign up, you show up.
Note3: You must install the main mod & the update

Server password & Racing Rules: click here

Sorry guys, but I'm going to have to pull out of this one. Full screen games are randomly minimising on me for no reason. Terminating unnecessary background progs and services makes no difference, so I don't even know what the cause is. Fed up now, so I'm just going to reformat my PC and start from scratch.
Windows Update is the worst for me for doing that

Well, I don't think we should use those again. Not because the racing was bad and, not because the car drove badly.
Some found the problem, in race one. We all found it, in race two. XD gave up showing all 4 brake discs, by about 14 laps. By half distance, I had no fronts. For one or two laps, I was running with one rear disc. I made it to the end, by coasting round in 4th and letting off the throttle before the dirty racing line...

Grats to Roland and Jack for their respective podium finishes in race one. A very special grats to Roland for keeping brakes to the end, earning a deserved win and to Peter, for his podium finish, in race two. Thanks to all tonight, a great evening. And as Jack said, thanks for the great conversation on TS. Thanks also, to Stu and RD.

Well that was a surprise, losing all brakes in race 2 but I did try using the pits (after race) and brakes were replaced but it took well over 2 min. to do the repair. Apparently the brakes are entended to be weak in the mod to resemble the real-world situation in the Alpine ( readme file), discovered by Roland after race. Too bad about the brakes because we all seemed to enjoy driving this car. It was an eye-opener to find out how difficult it was to get around the course with zero brakes. :D One for the "funniest plays of the week" with the remaining drivers creeping along for several laps just to complete the event and all on TS having a good old conversation in the process.

Cheers to all, thems the brakes Stu.:oops:

:D This was my weirdest race night ever on RD. Entertaining, but weird. :D

As mentioned above, apparently this Mod car was designed to have as authentic physics as possible, so highly underpowered brakes sound logical considering they originally came from this car::eek:

However, noone expected the brakes to actually break down completely after only a few laps of heavy use.
I do remember a club race using the > 2500kg Mercedes 300SEL which has absolutely inadequate (drum?) brakes, but at least they don't gave up.

R1 was good old fun; I jumped in with zero practice, but after a few laps in P1 and Q1 and some setup tips I thought I would be fine. And I was, as I started from last but a good start, cautious driving while unwittingly being careful on the brakes got me 2nd place in the end:)

Being warned by what happened to some in race 1, I really nursed my brakes very carefully in R2, only using them when I really needed to but that did not help me much.
Despite taking great care not to overheat them, with one eye at my XD all the time, still my front brakes went one by one after about 10 laps.:(

The rear brakes survived until halfway the final lap, but without fronts they were not much use anyway. I did make it to the end, but I was 1st to get there only because Eck decided to just go enjoy the view at sunday afternoon speed. ;)

While we were so slow anyways, there was a lot of fun conversation going on on TS, making it an enjoyable racenight in its own unusual way.:p

Thanks Stuart for this event, and thx all who were there. It was one to remember!

I want to apologize (Roland?), for the double bump. First time, I didn't calculate the length of the car right and spun you. Second time, I assumed you will be on the throttle earlier, so I pushed more than I was supposed to not lose you. I am sorry for that :(

:(

Just found out that the brake weakness is deliberate, as it was a weakness on the real car.

If that's the case, while I applaud the attention to detail, it does make it quite hard for us to use it, especially against any other car without the weakness there.

I've never modded SimBin cars, so how hard would it be to tweak the brakes into not failing so quickly? Authenticity is great, but not at the expense of usability. It would be a shame to bin these cars for good just because of that little problem.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back