Alonso's teammate for 2013 to be announced tomorrow

Teams back the better driver, i.e. their best chance of winning the championship. That's why it is the results obtained by a driver that justifies whether a team should back them or not. Vettel has proven himself to be faster in 2009, 2010 and 2011, by winning more races and outqualifying his teammate. As Victor said, Webber lost the title through his own mistake in Korea near the end of the championship, while also failing to finish well in Abu Dhabi.
After how many races do they "back" the better driver?
in other words reduce support to the #2

You say this with such certainty. What of Mclaren? What of Mercedes? Which driver are they currently "backing"?
Which driver did they "back" in 1922 Prost or Senna?
The Darwinian philosphy you espouse is only one choice. Not the inevitable choice.

BTW I do not accept your assertion that Vettel proved himself faster in 2010.

Except this time comes from Javier Rubio, lead Eurosport commentator for Spain and professional driver.
Sounds like he´s been drinking on the job unfortunately...

I can´t see why Webber wants to go. He won´t be number 1 in any of the teams and he´s probably in the best car right now that you can be in. Can´t see why they would do that.

Then who do they bring in to RBR? Ricciardo that can qualify but can´t race? Vergne who can´t qualify but can race?
One has had 1 season in HRT before STR the other is a rookie who haven´t learned F1 just yet.

Who did he think they would put next to Vettel?

BTW I do not accept your assertion that Vettel proved himself faster in 2010.

Well, I disagree with your idea that when a team supports a driver, it isn't based on which driver delivers the best results. It just wouldn't make sense to hold back, or at least not support your better driver. Vettel took more wins, points and poles, just like every other season the pair had done.

Well, I disagree with your idea that when a team supports a driver, it isn't based on which driver delivers the best results. It just wouldn't make sense to hold back, or at least not support your better driver. Vettel took more wins, points and poles, just like every other season the pair had done.

When did I say that?

Sounds like he´s been drinking on the job unfortunately...

I can´t see why Webber wants to go. He won´t be number 1 in any of the teams and he´s probably in the best car right now that you can be in. Can´t see why they would do that.

Then who do they bring in to RBR? Ricciardo that can qualify but can´t race? Vergne who can´t qualify but can race?
One has had 1 season in HRT before STR the other is a rookie who haven´t learned F1 just yet.

Who did he think they would put next to Vettel?

I agree that RBR have no other strong options.
In my view its sort of where you end up when you back just one guy .
Dr Evil (Helmet Marko) was quite arrogant and unneccesarily cuthroat when he sacked both drivers with essentially no notice.
Reportedly at least one of them had options prior to Brazil with other teams (Alguisari with Lotus Renault according to him) but in the belief that their Toro Rosso drives were safe did nothing.
Then had the rug pulled from under them.
It is one thing to be ruthless but you can be compassionately ruthless. Eg At least Barrichello knew by Brazil that he needed to find a seat for 2012.
The other misjudgment is that by sacking both how does he even know how the new boys are doing. Is Ricciardo or Vergne faster than Buemi/Alguisari? He just can't now determine.
It is my belief that the embarrassing and innappropriate (on Markos side) confrontation between with Marko and Alguisari at Korea sealed the drivers fate. All over not slowing to let Vettel through in free practice!!!!

From Webbers side he will not achieve any more than he has done at RBR.
Why not cap off a career at Ferrari? He may like great coffee and its not bad on the CV.

When did I say that?
You said that "results are created by team support", when I believe it to be the other way around (that when a team chooses to support a driver, it's based on prior results & performance).

On topic, unless Mark is pulled by the prestige of driving for Ferrari, he won't give up such a competitive ride at RBR. He's still a very good driver, who won't want to see out his career in a dog of a car.

On topic, unless Mark is pulled by the prestige of driving for Ferrari, he won't give up such a competitive ride at RBR. He's still a very good driver, who won't want to see out his career in a dog of a car.

It seems he can drive "dog cars" better than smooth ones (judging by his distance to Vettel on different seasons). Closing a career with a Ferrari drive, maybe a chance to prove yourself against Alonso. I doesn't sound that bad to me.

It seems he can drive "dog cars" better than smooth ones (judging by his distance to Vettel on different seasons). Closing a career with a Ferrari drive, maybe a chance to prove yourself against Alonso. I doesn't sound that bad to me.

I agree with that,he seems to like the more nervous cars,with oversteer and less general grip than last year's car with a blown diff for example.
I think that rule applies for most drivers from the early 2000's and before (Schumacher,Barrichello,Webber,And perhaps Alonso)

This is funny because he denied having any serious talks with Ferrari. He usually negotiates in the summer anyway.

And besides, I think he would want to stay with Red Bull and Red Bull still wants his consistent points. I know he's had his issues with Red Bull in the past but I don't think he would want to get shafted all of the time as a number 2 at Ferrari.

Guys I think your forgetting it's Ferrari and Massa has not been on the box in a long time consistently. Ever since his injury you can see he has not and or will not fully recover. He has earned the right for them to make him aware early on so he can find work for next year BUT as I said it's Ferrari and he has to know his performance compared to his teammate over the past few years has shown a change is needed.

You can win a race by yourself in F1 (luck happens) but to win a Championship you gotta have 2 cars up front ALL SEASON to do it and to see Weber in Red and maybe just maybe spend some time with Rossi and get him off that damn Ducati?

You Italians would go nuts :)

I agree that RBR have no other strong options.
In my view its sort of where you end up when you back just one guy .
Dr Evil (Helmet Marko) was quite arrogant and unneccesarily cuthroat when he sacked both drivers with essentially no notice.
Reportedly at least one of them had options prior to Brazil with other teams (Alguisari with Lotus Renault according to him) but in the belief that their Toro Rosso drives were safe did nothing.
Then had the rug pulled from under them.
It is one thing to be ruthless but you can be compassionately ruthless. Eg At least Barrichello knew by Brazil that he needed to find a seat for 2012.
The other misjudgment is that by sacking both how does he even know how the new boys are doing. Is Ricciardo or Vergne faster than Buemi/Alguisari? He just can't now determine.

Pretty similar to what they did to Speed, Liuzzi, Bourdais...

I'm not sure how much I believe this report at this point, but if you're Webber, the history is pretty clear. If you're not a "winner" (whatever that means) you will get sacked. He might as well move on, and going to Ferrari would be the best option available in all likelihood

Webber has officially denied the rumors. Now let´s put "El Confidencial" on the black list.

Why?

Were you expecting him to confirm them being RBR driver with more than half season to go? LOL

We will see at the end of this season, but it's obvious Mark Webber will "deny" everything for now... the way he denied it is interesting though, because is not saying yes/no or anything else:

"My focus is on this team. We have had a good start to the season, we're only four races down and the road is very, very long before we start talking about the future."

Why would he want to downgrade to Ferrari?
Why would Ferrari choose him when they can get a young gun next to Alonso?
Why would RBR let him go? He´s the perfect teammate for Vettel.

Why we should not black list "El confidential"?
You remember that part about an announcement? that part failed to be reality, thus we should black list El Confidential.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 94 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 70 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 74 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 46 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 105 14.0%