Alonso will be racing in Malaysia, says manager

_R6T6017.JPG

Fernando Alonso will resume his McLaren seat at the Malaysian Grand Prix next weekend, his manager Luis Garcia-Abad has told Spanish press.

The double champion has been away from driving duties ever since his testing crash at Barcelona in February, with its precise cause still unclear. Suffering a concussion, it was feared that any second impact so soon after the first could be lethal to him, so the Spaniard was forced to miss the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, replaced by Kevin Magnussen.

Garcia-Abad spoke alongside Alonso’s father Jose Luis at an event in the 33 year-old’s hometown Asturias, reassuring Spanish sports paper AS that "Alonso will be at the Malaysian Grand Prix”, adding: “Fernando is well and will pass the medical tests, which is a mere formality."

It is understood that Alonso was in McLaren’s simulator preparing for Malaysia on Wednesday, and will take the aforementioned tests tomorrow before being cleared by the FIA medical delegate to race.

Current reports from Italian paper La Gazzetta dello Sport are that Alonso’s absence from driving has already potentially cost his insurers 1.8 million EUR, though if a car issue was found to have caused the crash, something McLaren has strongly denied, there would be no payout.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good. Hopefully by this time McLaren will have found about 50 missing horsepower - Alonso does well in Sepang, but at the going rate he'd need another crazy race like 2012 to win.
There are also reliability issues for Mclaren. They will probably be racing at the
rear end of the pack, at least until the summer that is.

There are also reliability issues for Mclaren. They will probably be racing at the
rear end of the pack, at least until the summer that is.
as painful as it is for me to say this, I agree with that to some extent, I can't see them making a big step forward for a while

I spot a mistake in the title:
Alonso will be <r̶a̶c̶i̶n̶g̶> driving at the back in Malaysia, says manager

Last edited:
Wouldn't of made a difference if he could race at Melbourne, he would have never of made it to the start line :p. Started his career with Minardi now finishing his career in a car with the same performance really really sad:(:cry:

Im alonso and I am a karts driver is a sentence that makes sense with the mclaren performance. His memory wasnt really that confused!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 325 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 458 39.2%