Alonso tops F1 driver salary rankings with €35m

yxpAQQh.jpg

Earlier this week, Business Book GP released a study looking at the salary figures of every driver on the F1 grid this year. After his move from Ferrari to McLaren, Fernando Alonso can at least say he tops one table this year with his €35m salary.

The driver that replaced Alonso at Ferrari is second on the salary list, Sebastien Vettel. His move to Ferrari has revitalized him after a difficult 2014, and it's also revitalized his bank account as his salary has improved from €22 million to €28 million this season.

Surprisingly, reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton only comes in third on the driver salary list, although this is largely because this year's list does not take into account his new contract. This means he will likely jump comfortably clear at the top of the list once his new reported €45 million salary comes into effect. For this year he will have to simply make do with a salary of €25 million.

Kimi Raikkonen completes the top four with his annual salary of €18 million, whilst championship runner up last year Nico Rosberg pockets a comfortable €13.5 million per year. Completing the top six is the veteran world champion Jenson Button who takes home €10 million this year, down on last year but still a decent salary to be taking home.

From here the salaries drop significantly, with the next bevy of drivers all taking home €4 million per year, and those drivers are Felipe Massa,Nico Hulkenberg, Sergio Perez, Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado.

The most surprising and valuable salaries are those of stand out young drivers Valtteri Bottas and Daniel Ricciardo. Both are standout drivers with bright futures, although for now they receive only €2 and €1.5 million per year respectively. These are still decent salaries, although in comparison with the likes of Raikkonen at €18 million their performances surely deserve a higher salary in the future.

At the bottom end of the list are the rookie and midfield drivers, although surprisingly recently promoted Red Bull driver Daniil Kvyat takes home €750,000 per year, despite being in a top team like Red Bull. Both Scuderia Toro Rosso rookies Carlos Sainz Jr and Max Verstappen receive €250,000 this year, whilst the Sauber duo of Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson receive €200,000 each.

Completing the list, unsurprisingly, are the Manor drivers as Will Stevens pockets €150,000 per year whilst race by race second driver Roberto Merhi only pockets €50,000 this year.

The annual F1 driver salary list is usually a small piece of the F1 season, as it simply gives fans and paddock insiders some knowledge of what the drivers are earning this season. This is something that can subsequently add to a paddock opinion about who is over/under achieving. This latest salary news of course will likely not make any major news in Hungary, as understandably the weekend will be overshadowed by the dark cloud of remembrance that currently hangs over F1.

What are your thoughts on this driver salary list? Please feel free to comment below.

Last edited by a moderator:
The list simply shows that except for Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes and RedBull no driver except Hulkenberg and Bottas get actually paid. Not 100% sure, but I think Hulk has only personal sponsors. All other drivers have very low salaries e.g. Torro Rosso or pay to drive.

But RedBull did a good job on cost saving. Riccardos salary is extremely low seeing he was the only one beating the Mercs last year.

Was M S Sal 50 Million per year? I cant remember off hand but thought his contract at Ferrari was that.

All in all not bad. See the wold they say! Drive a fast Car they say! Make nice Money I say!

It's nice to see that I get paid more than an F1 driver. It's a shame I will never actually get to drive one the cars though.

It's nice to see that I get paid more than an F1 driver. It's a shame I will never actually get to drive one the cars though.
Never thought of it that way, but I think Mehri has backing from Mercedes, so he probably pays for it. Not that I want every driver to get paid Millions of $$, but looking at this list makes me think, that probably a lot of sportscar drivers earn more money than 70% of the F1 drivers and that is sad of the pinnacle of motorsport.

I totally support open market everywhere and I'm all for meritocracy. But I do think some stuff is exaggerated. Especially in a sport where the equipment itself is already so expensive.
Well, if there are crazy people to pay it and you can take it from them go ahead. I sure wouldn't refuse being paid so much :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%