Alonso to Stay at McLaren in New 'Multi-Year' Contract

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Alonso Remain at McLaren Next Season.jpg

Double World Champion Fernando Alonso has signed what is described as a 'multi-year' contract to stay at McLaren after the conclusion of the current season.

Alonso and McLaren have not secured the results either party would expect at the beginning of the renewed relationship back in 2015, however the Spanish former champion has reaffirmed his commitment to the once great McLaren team heading into to a new era of Renault power by signing what is considered to be a 'multi-year' extension to his original three year contract with the Woking outfit.

“It’s fantastic to be able to continue my relationship with everybody at McLaren,” said Alonso. “It was always where my heart was telling me to stay, and I really feel at home here. This is a fantastic team, full of incredible people, with a warmth and friendliness that I’ve never experienced elsewhere in Formula 1. I’m incredibly happy to be racing here.

“Just as important, McLaren has the technical resource and financial strength to be able to very quickly win races and world championships in F1. Although the last few years have not been easy, we have never forgotten how to win, and I believe we can achieve that again soon."
The 36-year-old has ended speculation that he may be willing to walk away from Formula One at the end of the current season, with rides in both endurance racing or IndyCar often muted as possible destinations for the driver should he decide on a change of scene from the series in which he has raced since making his debut for Minardi back in 2001.

With the partnership once again renewed between team and driver, the possibility does remain for Alonso to potentially take part in races outside of his current Grand Prix programme, something that McLaren have shown to be willing to allow with the famous venture into the Indy 500 earlier this year, and now that the team are leaving the manufacturer backing of Honda for 2018 doors could be opened for Alonso and maybe even McLaren to try their hand at different disciplines in future years..

For more from Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and join in with your fellow community members.

Happy to see Alonso commit to McLaren again for future seasons? Let us know in the comments section below!

Hmmm.

I think he would have been better going to indycar.

McLaren will not win next year, they probably won't win the year after that as well.

Sorry Fernando I think you've made a mistake my friend.

I don't think he will achieve it anymore but I would really like him to see going for another title. But I fear McLaren made the wrong choice parting ways with Honda.

He didn't have any other choice though. Ferrari don't want him because Vettel is probably against it and Mercedes don't want him either since they have Hamilton, Bottas and a few capable drivers in other teams. Redbull is another no no since they have Daniel Ric and hot sauce Verstappen.

That leaves him with renault and mclaren. Homie didn't have much of an option. Mclaren will glady pay him a bucket load of money to stay for 2018 in hopes of winning something. Even if it's a couple hand me downs like in Baku. Would have been a terrible idea to leave that for indy car or a lesser F1 team without excellent financial standing.

Go Alonso! Hoping Renault with the superior McLaren chassis can turn up next season.
As a kiwi I'm always backing McLaren and I've been an Alonso fan since I started watching F1 12 years ago, been a hard graft as a fan of both over the last three years.

Though I'm really hoping Mr. Hartley can perform well and secure a 2018 drive! Fingers crossed!

#TeamNZ

Hope he’ll somehow manage to make some podiums next year. Alonso had no choice but to stay at McLaren. Sad to see such a good driver not being able to show what he’s still capable of, but that’s F1: people are dependent on the technology to secure a championship, it’s more and more a constructors championship than a drivers championship. Hope Indycar can get back to the glory days of the 90s someday so we can see close and fair competition again.

I don't feel too sorry for the multi millionaire. :whistling::) But I don't think he will ever win a race with Mclaren.

You see, this is the thing that puzzles me.

He badly wants to win, he's said it in press conferences, he's said it in interviews.

When he did the Indy 500 he looked like a changed person, he genuinely looked like he was enjoying his racing again and that was really nice to see.

I know F1 is the pinnacle but if you've made your money and you want to taste success again then move on matey, otherwise you'll spend another 12 months battling for 10th place.

I suppose his hope is that McLaren (like Red Bull) create a great chassis that will flatter the Renault engine and that will get him the results again, but Red Bull have a great design team and I'm not sure McLaren do. Maybe he knows things that we don't about the future of the team.

I am surprised he's signed again. I was maybe expecting a 12 month contract but not a multiyear one. However I'm sure it's results related as to whether he stays on. The amount they offered him must of been incredible.

We will see in early 2018 whether they have got their sums right...

Interesting news about Verstappen and his three year deal just announced as well. His management team obviously feel his chances of getting into Ferrari or Mercedes are not possible, although as I've said before he's so young he's able to take his time on that one.

I think it's a smart move, McLaren has treated him more than fairly in terms of economic compensation and even provided a brilliant opportunity outside of the F1 circus with the Indy 500 race. Now he'll have a chance to prove that he's still fast and McLaren that their chassi really is one of the best on the grid. Also even if the engine switch doesn't work out he's shown loyalty that will no doubt be remembered should McLaren decide to return to Le Mans and or Indy.

Either way, it will be one of the more interesting stories to follow next year no doubt.

I think it's a smart move, McLaren has treated him more than fairly in terms of economic compensation and even provided a brilliant opportunity outside of the F1 circus with the Indy 500 race. Now he'll have a chance to prove that he's still fast and McLaren that their chassi really is one of the best on the grid. Also even if the engine switch doesn't work out he's shown loyalty that will no doubt be remembered should McLaren decide to return to Le Mans and or Indy.

Either way, it will be one of the more interesting stories to follow next year no doubt.

Get it right; it is Honda that has provided a big % of the money to the Mac' team and the drivers.
Mac' has next season to pay for it's power units and there drivers full wages, for starters.

Renault has some stuff up their sleeves, apparently latest rumors suggest that they will finally include the long awaited temporary Q3 boost. Also recently Red Bull have been showing that the engine is not to bad at all, basically the mode they run in Q is what they use in race. As far for Alonso, I don't think Ferrari or Mercedes want to have him, so there are not many options left for him.

At least next year we get to see how good the chassis of McLaren really is, personally i think it is not as good as it get praised for this year. 1 Ferrari and Mercedes 3 Red Bull 4 McLaren 5 Renault is my prediction for next year.

I think the McLaren/Renault combination is good enough for Alonso to extend with a few more years. And i will not be surprised to see him back on the podium next year that of course on a good day.

Get it right; it is Honda that has provided a big % of the money to the Mac' team and the drivers.
Mac' has next season to pay for it's power units and there drivers full wages, for starters.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you at all on this point Arnie, but for all the pressure that will mean on Alonso and McLaren it will make for an interesting follow for us was my main point. And for all the well, risk, I think still it's one of the best moves Alonso could've made outside of landing Hams/Vettels seat in their respective teams and that wasn't going to happen.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you at all on this point Arnie, but for all the pressure that will mean on Alonso and McLaren it will make for an interesting follow for us was my main point. And for all the well, risk, I think still it's one of the best moves Alonso could've made outside of landing Hams/Vettels seat in their respective teams and that wasn't going to happen.
Yes Rodent, I agree it is all going to be very interesting for sure.
I am of the school that Mac' made a big mistake ditching Honda, ( under pressure no doubt from Alonso ), I just don't think a team like Mac' should have let themselves be influenced by one drivers whims.
Anyway, like you say; it will be well worth following events. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back