Alonso to compete in Indianapolis 500

• Deleted member 130869

Wow, I will be watching the race! I see he's not evoking his exit clause in the contract but, boy oh boy, he is definitely showing he won't settle. I don't see him leaving F1 if he can land the Mercedes seat in 2018, but if he doesn't and this venture goes well, then he can likely make 1/3 of his current salary in the US (between regular contract, sponsors, and eventually winning a few hundred thousand per race if he finishes up there).

It's a good move for him. Gives more of a spotlight to his name, and I really think he will have one last go in F1 before he hangs it up.

IMO, as a racer he has no equals on the grid. With a title contending car he would be neck in neck with Vettel/Hamilton with zero doubt. I have massive respect for him, he's the racer that basically retired der Kaiser. He's basically had half a shot since his Renault days. Also he's become a real gentleman of the sport, his fun quips on the radio really highlight just how bad things must be... don't know what else to say.

McLaren needs to wake up, Honda power is not what it used to be and their names are being dragged through the mud now. Radical change is needed.

I agree with your assessment of his driving skills. I remember several seasons in F1 when he had a car that was, at best, a 5th. or 6th. place car, and he almost won some more titles.

I guess for Alonso it’s all about having fun again and competing against other drivers with similar material and not so much about money.
Maybe, but the question was if it's a step down or not, and the answer to the level is mostly determined by money.

I don't know about a yearly salary, but Rossi got $2.5 million for winning Indy last year.
Okay, then it is a step down.
Nothing wrong with that, he has earned enough money in his life :)

Okay, then it is a step down.
Nothing wrong with that, he has earned enough money in his life :)

While it is a step down, that doesn't mean it isn't a more entertaining form of racing. To me it is, especially compared to Monaco. I get it's prestigious, glamorous, etc... but it's also boring as hell. Qualifying is great. The first lap is exciting. But then it becomes a parade interrupted by a pit stop.

It's a bit ironic that the most prestigious race on the F1 calendar is also the most boring one.

I am... but I'm also familiar with the 60 minutes interview in which Michael Schumacher was asked about Indy 500 and he said it was a step down.
Not sure what his comment means, it's an opinion but based on preference or a comparison to money or ??? Doesn't matter really, my opinion is Indy isn't a step down - different talents, different rules, etc. For the fan/spectator, Indy car racing (as a whole) is more competitive than F1, that's one thing I based my opinion on I guess. Yes, some don't like ovals and I understand, not my favorite but definitely a unique experience. I sometimes compare oval racing to soccer (European football), road racing to football (American) - one is more of the same repetitive action. Just a discussion... not trying to force anyone to agree :)

he may not realize what he's getting himself into....or he likely does, but he's that desperate.
This for sure! He may not want to do this but he wants a fighting chance in a competitive car. Indy is the only big name race on the Indycar calendar so that is why it is this race instead of a road race where he would be more competitive from the get go. Oval racing can be a lot about luck and his hasn't been so great lately:confused:

Not sure what his comment means, it's an opinion but based on preference or a comparison to money or ??? Doesn't matter really, my opinion is Indy isn't a step down - different talents, different rules, etc. For the fan/spectator, Indy car racing (as a whole) is more competitive than F1, that's one thing I based my opinion on I guess. Yes, some don't like ovals and I understand, not my favorite but definitely a unique experience. I sometimes compare oval racing to soccer (European football), road racing to football (American) - one is more of the same repetitive action. Just a discussion... not trying to force anyone to agree :)

Well, I was originally posting a reply to someone who said that F1 drivers don't compete in Indy because they are scared of ovals based on what Schumacher said, I was pointing out that he also said it's a step down. And I think that's accurate, the best drivers are in F1.

As far as a fan goes; it's the exception to the rule when Monaco is exciting. And most Indy 500's are in fact exciting; at least at the end. So I agree, from a fans perspective the 500 is better to watch for the racing. But it's still a step down in terms of the quality of drivers.

How much is an Indycar driver earning these days?
I would say that what he is earning isn't the point with someone as competitive as Alonso! At this point in his life he is so frustrated that having an equal chance to win is more important to him than money. In F1, if you don't have a top car then join the parade because you certainly aren't racing to win!

While it is a step down, that doesn't mean it isn't a more entertaining form of racing. To me it is, especially compared to Monaco. I get it's prestigious, glamorous, etc... but it's also boring as hell. Qualifying is great. The first lap is exciting. But then it becomes a parade interrupted by a pit stop.

It's a bit ironic that the most prestigious race on the F1 calendar is also the most boring one.
I didn't say in any way that it's more or less entertaining racing. Two years ago i preferred Indy over F1, watched the whole season. So there i would have definitely agreed with you.

But this season started quite different in F1..both races were really entertaining for me, loads of overtakes, excitement, insanely fast cars...this season i really like it. For Indy i just don't have the time anymore..the shorter sprint like races are ok, but i don't have the time to watch a Indy500 or so unfortunately, and missing out on many races doesn't make it worthwhile anymore to follow the rest in my opinion. But i liked it two years ago. I prefer this seasons F1 over it however, so far :)

I didn't say in any way that it's more or less entertaining racing. Two years ago i preferred Indy over F1, watched the whole season. So there i would have definitely agreed with you.

But this season started quite different in F1..both races were really entertaining for me, loads of overtakes, excitement, insanely fast cars...this season i really like it. For Indy i just don't have the time anymore..the shorter sprint like races are ok, but i don't have the time to watch a Indy500 or so unfortunately, and missing out on many races doesn't make it worthwhile anymore to follow the rest in my opinion. But i liked it two years ago. I prefer this seasons F1 over it however, so far :)

I wasn't trying to infer you did say it was entertaining, just kind of expanding on what you said.

Yes, so far F1 has been exciting. To me, not because of the overtaking (I really don't think there's been that much); but more because it's not just an intra-team battle. Between F1 and IndyCar I'll watch F1. Between Monaco and Indy 500; it's the 500 easily.

I wasn't trying to infer you did say it was entertaining, just kind of expanding on what you said.

Yes, so far F1 has been exciting. To me, not because of the overtaking (I really don't think there's been that much); but more because it's not just an intra-team battle. Between F1 and IndyCar I'll watch F1. Between Monaco and Indy 500; it's the 500 easily.
Monaco i just hope for rain. With rain it could become a thrilling race. With the new owners i can imagine they'd even allow racing in rainy conditions, and not only in "one more lap and the racing line is fit for slicks"-conditions..
I guess if it'd rain, Alonso will want to bite himself in the a*s :laugh:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 233 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years