Alonso to compete in Indianapolis 500

alonso indycar.jpg
Fernando Alonso will dip his toe in IndyCar, competing in the Indianapolis 500.

The two time world champion will compete in a McLaren Honda run by Andretti for the event.

“I’ve never raced an IndyCar car before, and neither have I ever driven on a super-speedway, but I’m confident that I’ll get to grips with it fast,” Alonso said. “I’ve watched a lot of IndyCar action on TV and online, and it’s clear that great precision is required to race in close proximity with other cars on the far side of 220mph. I realise I’ll be on a steep learning curve, but I’ll be flying to Indianapolis from Barcelona immediately after the Spanish Grand Prix, practicing our McLaren Honda Andretti car at Indy from May 15th onwards.”

The event clashes with the Monaco GP weekend. Alonso has insisted he will only miss one Formula One race this season but, with his contract at McLaren up at the end of the year, it’s possible IndyCar could be on the Spaniard’s cards for 2018.

It’s not confirmed who will replace Alonso for the Monaco GP, possibly McLaren’s best chance at finishing in the points, but the team do still have Jenson Button on the books, and it’s widely expected the Brit will take over for the event.

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Would you like to see Alonso switch to IndyCar full time? Should McLaren put a young driver in the car, or stick with Button? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Andretti Autosport has won the Indy 500 several times so they are an organization that can win it. They have a four-car team:
Ryan Hunter-Reay (former season champ and Indy 500 winner)
Alexander Rossi (last year's Indy 500 winner as a rookie)
Takuma Sato (sometimes fast at Indy, crashed out on last lap while trying to pass Franchitti for the win a few years ago)
Marco Andretti (son of owner, not much else to say :rolleyes:)

Pretty awesome. Not familar with Indycar teams, is Andretti competitive? I realize they have a standard chassis so I suppose all teams have somewhat equal chances?

They were out to lunch last year but seem to be on point this season, except all four of their cars failed to finish at Long Beach on Sunday but two of them were in the hunt to win.

I'm still having a hard time believing this but it's being reported everywhere so it must be legit. I'll have a silver badge this year which gets me into the track free every day (except race days) as well as garage access, and I'll also be getting some pit passes, so hopefully I can snag an autograph. :)

A brilliant move for both series, needless to say they both need a shot in the arm on this side of the pond. Fernando would instantly raise the credibility of IndyCar to a worldwide audience. What options are left in F1 for Alonso? A move to IndyCar, why not, I certainly did not expect to wake up to this news.

IMO a significant number of F1 drivers never consider switching to Indycar because they fear the ovals. Schumacher said he would never do the Indy 500 because it's too dangerous. The fact that Fernando is willing to give Indycar a try at the most dangerous track (obviously because it's the only Indycar event with worldwide recognition) means that he does not fear the ovals, and if he doesn't switch over full time it won't be because of that. I'm still disappointed that Barrichello's sponsorship dried up and he couldn't continue in Indycar. He had a rough first season but he would have been fun to watch if he had continued.

IMO a significant number of F1 drivers never consider switching to Indycar because they fear the ovals. Schumacher said he would never do the Indy 500 because it's too dangerous. The fact that Fernando is willing to give Indycar a try at the most dangerous track (obviously because it's the only Indycar event with worldwide recognition) means that he does not fear the ovals, and if he doesn't switch over full time it won't be because of that. I'm still disappointed that Barrichello's sponsorship dried up and he couldn't continue in Indycar. He had a rough first season but he would have been fun to watch if he had continued.

It's also a step down going from F1 to IndyCar; as Schumacher also said.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back