Alonso Tests Toyota Super TC 2000 Car in Argentina

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Continuing his journey into varied different racing machines, Fernando Alonso has just completed his first touring car test for the Toyota Super TC 2000 squad in Argentina.

The STC 2000 series is little known within Europe, but provides some excellent racing action in a field of high performance, low technology touring cars similar to those used by the Brazilian StockCar series of Automobilista fame.

Fielding a few well known drivers from the world of motorsport in recent years (Néstor Girolami, Antonino García and Matías Rossi to name a few), the series is highly regarded in its home region of Argentina.

Thanks to the strong relationship between former double Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso and Toyota, who the Spaniard recently won two Le Mans 24h races and the World Endurance Championship with, another new opportunity has appeared fresh off the back of the 38-year-old's first cross country off road podium finish last weekend.

Taking to the Buenos Aires circuit earlier this week, Alonso spent plenty of time behind the wheel of the Toyota Gazoo Racing Toyota Corolla - and experience that has apparently left the driver hungry for more:

“It would be an honor to take part in an important race as the one in Buenos Aires of the Super TC 2000” Alonso told clarin.com. “I have unfortunately never raced in Argentina, but it is a very friendly place. The culture for motorsport is strong, I am still surprised by the passion for global motorsport here and that the local motorsport scene is so strong,” added the Formula One veteran.​
The Toyota test was the first time Alonso has sampled front wheel drive machinery, and reports suggest the driver adapted well to his new office in what was a day of difficult weather conditions, with damp weather present at the start of running before the circuit eventually dried enough for slick tyres to be bolted to the car for the remainder of the session.

Fernando Alonso Toyota STC 2000 Test 2.jpg

Alonso is currently committed to an intense test regime ahead of his 2020 Dakar Rally debut, and has repeatedly stated he wishes to return to the Indy 500 again next year. Although a full season in the Argentinian series remains unlikely, from Alonso's comments it isn't beyond possibility that the driver could potentially made a guest appearance at one of the prestigious STC 2000 endurance events held throughout the season.

Got an interesting motorsport news item to talk about? Tell the community in the RaceDepartment Motorsports sub forum!

Motor Racing is AWESOME!

The STC 2000 series is little known within Europe, but provides some excellent racing action in a field of high performance, low technology touring cars similar to those used by the Brazilian StockCar series of Automobilista fame.

I wouldn't say the STC2000 is close to a Brazilian Stock Car, actually it has a lot more of similarities with the TCR cars, or the old WTCC cars. The closest thing to the V8 Stock Car in Argentina is the Top Race V6, wich uses a tubular frame for the chasis and a factory-based bodywork. Despite that, the tecnology level is pretty much equal between the STC2000 and the Brazilian series.

I would argue "most technological series in southamerica" as the Super TC2000 have been known to be is an over statement.

That being said, as nice as it is to have alonso drive a good touring car from my home country, this is as far as its gonna be. There's not enough cash anywhere in this land to pay a former F1 driver from another country

I wouldn't say the STC2000 is close to a Brazilian Stock Car, actually it has a lot more of similarities with the TCR cars, or the old WTCC cars. The closest thing to the V8 Stock Car in Argentina is the Top Race V6, wich uses a tubular frame for the chasis and a factory-based bodywork. Despite that, the tecnology level is pretty much equal between the STC2000 and the Brazilian series.

I kind chose that comparison as it felt the most friendly and easy way to explain the series for those who are perhaps less familiar with the category. Its a weird one, as I understand it the series is a little like a hybrid between DTM, TCR and StockCar... which is why it is blooming awesome!

Just wish it had some more (well, any) English speaking commentary coverage here in the UK..

I kind chose that comparison as it felt the most friendly and easy way to explain the series for those who are perhaps less familiar with the category. Its a weird one, as I understand it the series is a little like a hybrid between DTM, TCR and StockCar... which is why it is blooming awesome!

Just wish it had some more (well, any) English speaking commentary coverage here in the UK..
Argentinean touring car is similar to brazilian in the sense that the crap economy and desire to keep racers means that the technology is low enough for everyone, and that means no prohibitive stuff or DRS and very basic aero. Most local racing here is really nice, albeit STC2000 would be nice if it used that 4.0 V8 in a RWD/MR layout....

Still not the best one in the country tho.

I went to the racetracks several times to see Super TC 2000, it is the most technological category in Argentina, and it offers a great show, great variety of brands, some drivers that won then shone in WEC and WTCR (Pechito Lopez, Esteban Guerrieri, Bebu Girolami ).

On Sunday the 200km of Buenos Aires was run and it was a fantastic show

Lol guys relax, it's just a little mistake. It is indeed really frustrating that the series, or the Argentinian Motorsport scene in general has no exposition outside the country, as all the categories are really interesting.
This run by Alonso may help to get more international intrerest, but the usual lack of interest by the series owners in getting good exposition makes it really doubtful.

Lol yeah, someone needs to do his homework
As low technology as BTCC
Stc2000 run same or faster pace than wtcc on termas de río hondo.
So it's poor excuse that uk has no coverage for the series.
Haha you know, it's all relative, maybe UK guys now race with NASA's exploration vehicles like Curiosity haha... so an Oreca turbo with top electronics could be a little obsolete.

The TC2000 is a very interesting category, but I prefer Turismo Carretera (La Máxima) with its unique design and rear axle power. A more accurate comparison would be to compare the TC2000 with the Copa Marcas, although the Argentine category is much more exciting. Stock Car Brazil announced Toyota as a participant in 2020, when the cars will no longer have a tubular chassis and will be factory-fitted with V8 engines and rear-wheel traction, for now only the traditional Chevrolet and Toyota are confirmed. Alonso was in Argentina because it was the place that Toyota Gazoo chose to announce the entrance to the Brazilian championship, as it is already traditional in Argentine competitions and in Brazil the Copa Marcas no longer exists. Several brazilian journalists were able to accompany alonso in a quick lap through the racetrack.

The TC2000 is a very interesting category, but I prefer Turismo Carretera (La Máxima) with its unique design and rear axle power. A more accurate comparison would be to compare the TC2000 with the Copa Marcas, although the Argentine category is much more exciting. Stock Car Brazil announced Toyota as a participant in 2020, when the cars will no longer have a tubular chassis and will be factory-fitted with V8 engines and rear-wheel traction, for now only the traditional Chevrolet and Toyota are confirmed. Alonso was in Argentina because it was the place that Toyota Gazoo chose to announce the entrance to the Brazilian championship, as it is already traditional in Argentine competitions and in Brazil the Copa Marcas no longer exists. Several brazilian journalists were able to accompany alonso in a quick lap through the racetrack.
To be fair, I think Turismo Nacional is some of the most entretaining and active racing.

The local folks can explain Super TC2000 situation better as I may risk a flop here @Paul Jeffrey, but most national championships tend to focus on local coverage, as example of Russian Circuit Racing Series, Super Taikyu, Turismo Nacional (Brazilian and Argentine series), Endurance Brasil, FFSA GT, Danish Thundersport, etc. It's a mix of factors, often due to low budgets, local sponsorship and such.

In Endurance Brasil, for example, our two foreigners are an Argentine and a British who live for a long time here, with a one-off from Mike Simpson, and full race, multi-camera broadcasts became a thing in 2017 when budget allowed it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 301 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%