Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Fernando Alonso continues his journey of discovery ahead of leaving Formula One at the end of the year, testing a road specification IndyCar at the Barber Motorsports Park circuit...

Having only sampled the previous generation Dallara IndyCar in speedway configuration during his IndyCar debut at the 2017 Indy 500, McLaren Grand Prix driver Fernando Alonso has finally had an opportunity to take to a more familiar type of track over in the United States - gaining valuable seat time in the latest 2018 spec Andretti Autosport machine during a day of running under mixed weather conditions.

The test would be held behind closed doors as both team and driver maintain a keen wall of silence regarding a potential deal to run the Spaniard in IndyCar next season, however Alonso did answer a few brief questions to be shared with a public eager to learn more about the 37-year-old double World Champion's impressions of the car and test -

Alonso Andretti IndyCar Test 2.jpg

Q: Talk a little bit about your experience today. You kind of got experience with two things in the car: wet, a little bit wet and dry, right?

“Yeah, it was a good day, a fun day. I love to test new cars and to test the Indy car on a road course is something special. I’ve been lucky enough to test it in wet conditions, in intermediate conditions and in dry conditions, so overall I had a good feeling on every type of track. The weather was good for us today – a little bit of wind in the afternoon but overall a positive day.”

Q: You’ve now driven on a superspeedway and a road course. Which one do you prefer?

“Probably my instinct will tell me road course because it’s what I’ve been used to doing all my life, but the Indy 500 was an amazing experience, so 50/50. I think I love the way the car feels on a road course, but I love the way you compete on ovals, timing the tows, traffic and all the overtaking maneuvers I think are a little bit easy on the ovals, so in terms of track action, I loved the Indy 500.”

Q: Do you call this kind of a bucket list item for you just getting to drive different things and new experiences?

“Yeah, definitely. It was something that I was looking for last year already. I had some options to test the car on a road course after the Indy 500. We didn’t find the time but this year it’s definitely happened now and I’m happy for this. I love being behind a steering wheel, and definitely a new car, a new experience, learning a lot of things from the team, the engineers, everyone, so a happy day.”

Alonso Andretti IndyCar Test.jpg

No times have been released from the test, and further running later in the year remains a distinct possibility for Alonso, again potentially with the Andretti outfit.

For more motorsport news, head over to the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment and join the conversation today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Would you like to see Alonso try his hand at IndyCar in 2019? If he makes the move, do you think a championship challenge is a possibility? Let us know your thoughts below!

Last edited:
This would be a nice opportunity for someone to make an Indycar game. I would love it.
Or even better 2 games from 2 different companies so the chances of it matching one's taste are higher. Like PES vs FIFA.

Fernando Alonso Super Indy GP KIMOA Edition

I just hope Alonso finds something that would allow him to enjoy racing again. Having grew up watching him trade shots with Schumacher in the 2007(?) season, it was sad to see him stuck at the back of the grid, let down by his own machine. Here's to a good season in Indycar.

The Livery was just on the chassis Carlos Munoz used for the Indy 500 minus the sponsors. All the other cars would be on the way home from Portland or to Sonoma for today's test.

Hope he joins Indycar, he looks very happy at the test and the change of scenery could do him good.

Link to some Footage from the test:

Last edited:
Fernando, on the behalf of a pitifully small but passionately dedicated cadre of American open wheel fans: DO IT! Please!!!

It would be an awesome win-win - Alonso could prove he's still got it while simultaneously IndyCar gets to show the world they've got drivers that can go toe to toe with someone of that caliber.

I think IndyCar is 5 times the proving ground simply because you fight all drivers the entire season

Crazy ideas : p
IndyCar divided into oval and road seasons with 3 titles
Most awesome road courses could be used to fill the spots

With Alonso on-board they could try overseas again you should pack out a
a road course..... Imola, Mugello would be nice

Nice to have Laguna Seca back :)

The 2018 Indycar chassis is one of the sexiest race cars ever built. And the schedule for 2019 looks fantastic, with COTA and Laguna Seca. The new balance of ovals and road/street courses is bringing back fans like me who faded away with the CART/IRL split. This season has been so much fun to watch, and the prospect of Alonso over here in the U.S. is very exciting.

THANKS man.:notworthy: Lots and lots to watch. :)

Don't be fooled by the homepage the other races are there you should see in right hand window in utube

For instance here is last road race at old favourite Portland
Great race too ( I won't spoil it ...but there was a .... :confused: ) lol

they use cockpit and T cams to better effect you really get the sense of speed

Yea. F1 cars look So dull in comparison.
In my opinion modern F1 cars have weird looking dimensions, mainly because cars are so huge and have such a long wheelbase, which again makes tires look tiny from the side. And yes, they look dull and it would be hard to diffrentiate them without different paint schemes. This one isn't exactly a negative compared to Indycar, because it is a spec series so chassis is the same for all teams. I personally just don't like the looks of modern cars that much.

And yes, 2018 spec aerokit looks fabulous and is pretty much the best looking open wheeler today. It is a perfect combination of modern looks and yet still has those classic features of the 80s and 90s CART cars. And above all, racing is top notch in the series!

Not a fan of that car design, but will check out one or two races to see how Alonso does.
With the state McLaren are in - totally understandable to quit F1 for a year.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back