Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Alonso Toyota Test.jpg

Rumour has it that double Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso is set to try his hand in a works Toyota LMP1 machine later this month.

According to sources close to motorsport.com, it is believed that McLaren Honda pilot and one of the most highly regarded drivers of the current Grand Prix field is set to drive for the Toyota LMP1 prototype team, getting behind the wheel at an upcoming 'Rookie Driver' test to be held at the Bahrain International Circuit after the close of the current WEC season later this month.

Alonso has long been known to be interested in chasing the motorsport "Triple Crown" of Le Mans, Monaco and Indy 500 success, even going so far as to agree a deal to compete for United Autosports in next seasons Daytona 24 Hour endurance race. With a potential deal to spend time behind the wheel of a contemporary LMP1 Prototype is the Spanish drivers clearest sign yet that a tilt at the world famous Le Mans 24 Hours is on the cards sooner rather than later.

According to motorsport.com, Alonso has already been seen visiting the Toyota factory for a seat fitting, and with the German outfit potentially the only works team looking to participate in the World Endurance Championship 'Super Season' next year, 2018/19 could well be a golden opportunity for the 36-year-old Spaniard to secure the most coveted endurance racing trophy in the world.

At the time of writing both Alonso and Toyota are remaining tight lipped about any kind of collaboration either at Bahrain or Le Mans, however the partnership does seem like a match made in heaven and with McLaren without a works factory engine supply for next season, this could be the first step towards seeing the popular former champion behind the wheel of a top level prototype machine at Le Mans in June...

Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available...

Formula One fan? Check out the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment to involve yourself with our active motorsport community!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think Alonso should test the Toyota LMP1 car or concentrate on his McLaren duties? Can the Spaniard crack Le Mans first time should he get a drive? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I get it now. Alonso wants the triple crown and he doesn't want to run WEC or IndyCar because F1 is cozy, safe, predictable, and lucrative. Can't blame him for that.

Looking for the easy win next year in Le Mans.

Although once again in a team with a history of engine failures, I guess he likes to try his luck.
Honda doesn't have a history of engine failures in IndyCar because they don't cost $1.43B to produce. The problem with Indy, as Alonso, Andretti, and Gurney know, it that it's almost impossible to win without everything going your way. There is no free ride, like LeMans and Monaco.

Interesting news. There were rumours he was looking at Le Mans but nothing concrete.

He may be just testing the waters to see what an LMP1-H is like.

Although f1 is faster around a lap a modern LMP-1H car is an absolute rocketship.

It's the out of corner acceleration that's incredible on these things.

I did think his drive in Daytona was a good idea though as that was a better way of easing himself into endurance racing.

Does Le Mans clash with f1 this year?

Honda doesn't have a history of engine failures in IndyCar because they don't cost $1.43B to produce. The problem with Indy, as Alonso, Andretti, and Gurney know, it that it's almost impossible to win without everything going your way. There is no free ride, like LeMans and Monaco.

It was more related to F1 than indy. I agree on what you said about the 500.

I did think his drive in Daytona was a good idea though as that was a better way of easing himself into endurance racing.
:O_o: Daytona hasn't happened yet.

But when it does, it will have more driver talent than WEC. Of course, NASCAR owns the Weathertech Sportscar Series now, and so there is no technology to speak of. Or innovation. Or incentive. Or leadership. But it's massively strong driver lineup. I'm not sure I've seen a better one anywhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_WeatherTech_SportsCar_Championship#Prototype

LeMans and the Indy 500 clash with F1 every year, by design of F1. Idiots.

The problem with Indy, as Alonso, Andretti, and Gurney know, it that it's almost impossible to win without everything going your way. There is no free ride, like LeMans and Monaco.

So in F1, Nascar, Moto GP, WEC and WRC winners win by hazard, mostly? :))))))

You have some of the most detached from reality comments out here.

No, what he meant was that winning in those races owes a lot to luck as much as speed and talent. Which is why the big teams enter multiple teams and have differnet strategies for each, one hare, one normal pace and one usually as a backup,

I respect Nando enormously for this, he is the only driver of a whole generation who shows any desire to want to compete in other series, yes likely because he knows he cannot win in F1 certainly last few years, but also because he is very aware there is life outside of F1.

I don't usually watch Indy, but was glued to it this year because of him, no other reason. And if he does race at LM it will be huge, not only for LM but for Toyota and McLaren. Him doing these things raises him beyond even the best F1 drivers as they show no signs of doing it. LM will be weak next year, but the ACO must be rubbing their hands if Nando rocks up, will make the race bigger than ever.

I think Button will in time, but he is taking a long time to make his mind up, Nando is doing everything while he is current.

I would love to know how his contract is written, as to get this sort of stuff into an F1 contract is pretty rare and rather interesting, he clearly has a great relationship with the McLaren top men, and maybe this might lead a few other F1 prima donnas to want to do the same, as it would be great to see Seb, Lewis, etc doing these things aswell.

but I don't see it sadly

Last edited:
"...Alonso has already been seen visiting the Toyota factory for a seat fitting, and with the German outfit potentially..."
Huh?

I wish Alonso all the best, but to win in the only car of it's class is kinda stupid.

No, what he meant was that winning in those races owes a lot to luck as much as speed and talent. Which is why the big teams enter multiple teams and have differnet strategies for each, one hare, one normal pace and one usually as a backup,

I respect Nando enormously for this, he is the only driver of a whole generation who shows any desire to want to compete in other series, yes likely because he knows he cannot win in F1 certainly last few years, but also because he is very aware there is life outside of F1.

I don't usually watch Indy, but was glued to it this year because of him, no other reason. And if he does race at LM it will be huge, not only for LM but for Toyota and McLaren. Him doing these things raises him beyond even the best F1 drivers as they show no signs of doing it. LM will be weak next year, but the ACO must be rubbing their hands if Nando rocks up, will make the race bigger than ever.

I think Button will in time, but he is taking a long time to make his mind up, Nando is doing everything while he is current.

I would love to know how his contract is written, as to get this sort of stuff into an F1 contract is pretty rare and rather interesting, he clearly has a great relationship with the McLaren top men, and maybe this might lead a few other F1 prima donnas to want to do the same, as it would be great to see Seb, Lewis, etc doing these things aswell.

but I don't see it sadly

Yes I'm not sure when it happened, but in days gone by it was quite normal for F1/Grand Prix drivers to do lots of different events during the year. I suppose up to the mid to late 70's was when it started to die down.

I guess a few things stop them now, the number of races in the various series throughout the world (just much more going on now), the obvious dates conflicts, the contract that the driver has with his team, and I suppose safety in general. Most teams would be worried about letting their driver enter elsewhere and then injuring themselves.

:O_o: Daytona hasn't happened yet

What I was hinting at was a LMP2/DPi is much easier to adapt to over a full blown LMP1-H. Probably hence the Toyota test to see how he gets on.

Not only is the driving style slightly unique (which I doubt he would have issues with of course) but the workload in the LMP1-H cars is pretty high (changing of hybrid settings, diff, braking, energy recovery and so on) at least with the DPi he can concentrate on the driving and just get used to running in a long endurance race. Some in-car work is obviously still required but not as much.

As far as driver talent goes I think WEC and IMSA are almost on a level. There's a good mix of professional and non-professional drivers. Admittedly the WEC has more non-professional drivers but that's down to the requirements of the classes and ACO. The only exception is probably at Le Mans where you still get the odd rich amateur (or group of) that want to take on the race. In IMSA's case the GTD class is the one that tends to attract that sort of driver, and good luck to them I wish I had the money to do it! :) It used to be that at Daytona you had a lot of amateur drivers in the GT classes but not quite so much now.

The big difference between the two is factory involvement. IMSA has the upper hand here both in DPi and GTLM, and by quite some margin. The GTD class also worked brilliantly.

I understand your point about technology and so on but when IMSA were setting up the DPi regulations they really went with what the manufacturers wanted. They wanted a prototype formula that kept costs down, had brand identity and allowed them a chance of a overall win (and get the headlines) and in the most part DPi is a massive success.

I thoroughly enjoy both series and they are great to watch. The Petit Le Mans was a great race although the penalties near the end did spoil it a bit, which was a shame.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 106 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 197 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 519 38.5%