Alonso Le Mans plans quashed by Honda

Fernando Alonso McLaren 2015.jpg

Fernando Alonso signed with McLaren for the 2015 F1 season, although it now seems this wouldn't of been his only new team of 2015 if his ambitious plans came to fruition. It appears Alonso was close to joining Nico Hulkenberg in the third Porsche at this years Le Mans 24 Hours. Unfortunately his plans were quashed in the final stages by McLaren engine supplier Honda.

It appears Alonso was keen to join Porsche for this years Le Mans 24 Hours, although German publication Auto Motor und Sport stated "Porsche had been close to signing Fernando Alonso" until Honda "veto at the last second."

It also appears that talks for recently ousted Sauber driver Adrian Sutil to race at Le Mans this year have broken down also. It would of been a huge coup for the Le Mans 24 Hours if Fernando Alonso would have joined Porsche this year, and would of generated plenty of interest for the race although Honda clearly wanted to protect their star driver, meaning that Alonso will likely have to wait until after his F1 career is over to race in the Le Mans 24 Hours.
Image via Autobild

Shame. I think more of them need to go to Le Mans, it is the more exciting racing IMHO ;) To be fair though, can't say I blame Honda...

Last edited:
As Hulkenberg's team is paying for it's power units, Mercedes couldn't do much I think. Works driver contracts are something very different.
In the end I was just joking...
I think Force India can be happy that they have such a great driver, who is driving for a small pay cheque, so they better let him do what he wants, because they cant get more bang for their bucks.
Honda is paying lots of money for Alonso, so they are in a much stronger position demanding something.

I'm just surprised that in the era where racing drivers are super-specialized and heavily-protected investments, that this was even on the table for Alonso.
Alonso is a big fan of the LM24. He actually waved the green flag during last year's edition as the guest of honor.

Shame that we can't see him in this year's edition but I am sure he'll show up on the grid in the future when his F1 days are over. Can't wait for him and Button to join as it would add so much exposure to the series.

Can't wait for him and Button to join as it would add so much exposure to the series.

Is Button still planning on doing that now he's staying with McLaren? Just wondering if he'll live out the rest of his racing days in F1 now he's got a seat.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 179 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing