Alonso Confirms 2019 Indy 500 Bid With McLaren

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Alonso McLaren Indy 500  Bid 2019.jpg

Fernando Alonso and McLaren Racing have confirmed their participation in the 2019 Indy 500 race in America.

Continuing his long held desire to secure the unofficial motorsports 'Triple Crown', 37-year-old double Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso will return to the famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway next May with a McLaren entered IndyCar.

Returning following a competitive but somewhat fruitless attempt in 2017, Alonso will once again contest the Indy 500 in 2019, having confirmed during the Brazilian Grand Prix weekend that he will be joining forces with his McLaren team to have a crack at winning one of the most competitive motorsports events in the world. With Monaco Grand Prix victory from 2006 and Le Mans 24 Hour success earlier this year, all that remains for Alonso to secure that exclusive 'Triple Crown' award will be victory in the 500, something that the Spaniard believes is possible in the coming years following his decision to step away from Formula One racing and pursue other racing opportunities outside of the top flight of motorsport.

"I've made clear for some time my desire to achieve the Triple Crown," said Alonso of the confirmation of his 2019 participation.​

"I had an incredible experience at Indianapolis in 2017 and I knew in my heart of hearts I had to go back if the opportunity was there.

"I'm especially glad to be returning with McLaren. This was always my first choice if the team decided to do it, so I'm delighted they've decided to go ahead.

"It's a tough race and we'll be up against the best, so it will be a huge challenge."
During the 2017 bid, also under the McLaren Racing banner, Alonso and the British team joined forces with the crack Andretti Autosport team, a relationship that could potentially be rekindled for this new attempt - although details of the various arrangements behind the new deal have yet to be announced.

Alonso has already confirmed Indy will be a one off event, with no plans currently in play to see the Spaniard racing full time in the IndyCar series next year.

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with your fellow open wheel race fans.

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Happy to hear of Alonso returning to Indy in 2019? Can Alonso and McLaren fight for the win next season? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Is a 2020 full time IndyCar McLaren/Alonso entry out of the question. That would be awesome.

My question is the two people disagreeing with this. Sure it's a strange comment but...

well theres only one sort of negative rating on here. so if you think somethings a dumb thing to have posted what are you meant to do?

i mean someone disagree rated my previous silly post, so following your literalness they really actually want alonso to burn his shins with flaming sambuca and smuggle lizards.

basically we need a 'you're talking shite' symbol or something

Very few people here watch or understand IndyCar. They seem more concerned if someone sharts in F1. Oval racing in those cars is extremely dangerous. They have a tendency to become airborne. The catch fence is a technology that is over half a century old. Getting caught in one shreds the car like cheese. Here is some news you'll never see in an article on this site:

anyway i think alonso's good for indycar. got people who don't follow the series interested in watching the indy 500 last time he raced.

i'm assuming he'll have to have chevy power due to all that honda bridge burning. though which engine he has might not be as important as getting someone like andretti handling his car again.

We should never, ever stop improving safety in racing. However even though the bad days of racing in the 60's and 70's with so many driver deaths in all disciplines are thankfully over, nobody should ever get involved in any kind of racing under any sort of illusion that it is a safe activity. Certain sections of this sport are more dangerous than others, i.e. indycar, dirt sprint car racing, and motorcycle road racing, etc... should we stop doing those things? should people stop trying to climb Everest, or K2? should people strap into what they think of as "safer" racing cars instead, even though they still are not actually safe? pertinent questions maybe, and one everyone needs to answer for themselves. But not questions that anyone needs to answer for another person who fully know and accept those risks... my opinion anyway.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%